The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Is it O.K. to lie

Quote Reply
Is it O.K. to lie
A friend of mine argued that because the Bible says not to "bare false witness against your nabor", it is o.k. to lie if it binafits the person your lieing to. any good arguments on y he is right or wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it O.K. to lie In reply to
It's not ok to lie, if it were ok with God, for us to lie to a person for their benefit, don't you think the scriptures would say that God made his commandments with exceptions? He didn't say do not bare false witness,(unless). I looked up some scriptures that I feel prove that God does not accept lies:

Exodus 23:7

Psalms 101:6-7

Romans 1:25

and the best of all;

Revalation 21:8,

If your friend will notice this scripture does not point out what kind of lies, it just goes to the point. If your a liar, your going to the lake of fire!

Thats good enough for me not to have doubts on the subject!

I hope this helped.

God Bless.
Quote Reply
O.K. Hears his argument. "If you wached a man run past you. Then another man came by. The secconed asked were the first whent. The seconed also tells you that he is going to kill the first.What do you do? If you tell him were the first went, then you have caused the death of the the first. But if you lie and tell the secconed that the first went some were that he didnt, then you may have saved his life." Because its not "against your nabor" is it all right.
Quote Reply
No it ain't ok to lie then. ever alright to sin no matter the situation. If it was God would have given us exeptions. If he kills the man it is on his head not yours. Besides all you have to do is not answere. Clearly, correct me if I'm wrong, it is not a sin to not answere the question.
Quote Reply
The truth shall prevail!

Yes the bible strictly tell us not to lie.

The bible says "Not to bare false witness against our neighbor."

As for your example epsilon, 'bout the man who want to kill another man...

Isn't it much rightful to spare the other man's life and yet tell the other man the truth? The truth about what is right and what is wrong, spare him from doing wrong.

Right things may always be hard to say, but it is always the truth that prevails.

If you spare the other man's life by telling lie to the one who wants to kill him. And the guy uncover the truth that you lie to him, what do you think he's going to do? But if you tell the person who wants to kill that it is wrong to kill, you may spare the other man's life and spare the other man from killing or doing wrong.

There is always a better way of solving things than telling lies. And sometimes we have to bear the consequences of the wrong things we've done, than to cover another mistake with another lies/mistakes. Remember what Cain did?

Quote Reply

Hey elected

If you read my previous post you would know the answere. If you don't remember the answere was no. Say after you lied to the guy he killed you. Then you would go to hell never having a chance to rrepent.
Quote Reply
tinley: How would his death not be on your consionce. His death happened because of your inaction. If you would have lied then he would have not been killed. In the situation you could have saved a mans life. And suposing this man wasnt saved, you not only helped in killing him but you sent him to hell. Now what would have happened had you not answered. Best senario, the killer leaves. Not likely. Worst, you die.

celi1014: The bible says "Not to bare false witness AGAINST our neighbor."

If this happened to you to day do you realy think that the killer is going to listen to reason. He abviosly has his mind set on killing the first man. He did tell you his reson for serching for him. Wile not smart, he already in troble just for trying, so hes better of just killing him. Not what I would do, but people today or any time would.

elected: Genesis 20:12 "Besides, she is my sister-we both have the same father, through different mothers-and I married her."

He did not actualy lie.

tinsely: Why would he go to hell for not have repented? Were dose the bible say if we dont repint we lose our salvation?

Thank you all for you arguments. I also belive that it is never ok to lie. But I would still like to be able to convince my friend of this, so please help me.
Quote Reply
James 2:25

In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?

Rahab lied. Yet the scriptures says she was considered righteous?

Anyone have an explination?
Quote Reply
Hebrews 11:31 also comends Rahab. It is a good point. Although nethir verse mensions her lie. One talks about her faith, and the other about her actions through faith.

Quote Reply
Still it would not be my fault he died. So why should it be on my consciouns[sp]. And I don't see how you can say it was my fault. And if I lied I could be considered a liar which in Rev. 22:8 or 21:8[I forget] it says liars will be cast down to the lake of fire and brimstone.
Quote Reply
Okay you can't lose salvation but it still ain't right to lie. Never. BTW it was Rev. 21:8
Quote Reply
epsilon: I finally thought of something. See if it was Jesus in that situation do you think He would lie. If He didn't would it be His fault if the guy got killed and wasn't saved.
Quote Reply
Not only does scriptures prove that we should not lie (we all do sometimes} but when you have given your life to the Lord,or ask the Lord to come into your life,and when we do lie, we feel so bad. because the spirit of the Lord is inside us.