The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

The Baptism In The Holy Spirit

Quote Reply
The Baptism In The Holy Spirit
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: and also upon the servants and upon the handmaidens in those days will I pour out My Spirit." Joel 2:28,29.

After Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit, He went about healing the sick and casting out demons by the power (dunamis, from which we get the word dynamite) of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told His disciples, "And behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you, but tarry in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power (dunamis) from on high." Lu 24:49. This promise was fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost. Acts 2:14-21. The Apostle Paul would later say, "And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 1 Cor 2:4,5.

Jesus said, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; in My name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mk 16:17,18.

Paul instructed the church, "Now concerning Spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant...For to one is given by the Spirit the Word of wisdom; to another the Word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues..." 1 Cor 12:1-11.

"For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the Spirit he speaketh mysteries...he that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church...wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue, pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the Spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also; I will sing with the Spirit and I will sing with the understanding also...wherefore my brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." 1 Cor 14:1-40.

Some limit the speaking in tongues to merely preaching in other languages. First of all, the gifts are supernatural - not talents or abilities. It would be blasphemous to say that sinners who speak more than one language are operating in the Holy Spirit. If one comes to the Word of God with a teachable heart, he will readily see in these passages that speaking and praying in tongues is to be part of the worship service.

Jude 20,21 tells us, "But ye beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keeping yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life."

"For precept must be upon precept; line upon line; here a little, and there a little: for with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to His people. To whom He said, "This is the rest wherewith ye shall cause the weary to rest; and this the refreshing: yet they would not hear." Isa 28:10-12. Will you hear?

It was prophesied in the book of Joel and fulfilled in Acts 2.
Quote Reply
Re: The Baptism In The Holy Spirit In reply to
It would be good to notice that other "gifts" preceded the gift of speaking in tongues as listed in 1 Cor 12.

One wonders why people don't place so much emphasise on, say, the gift of healing as on speaking in tongues?

Probably because one can't fool whether he can or can't heal.

But "abra cadabra" can't be proven, can it?
Quote Reply
Hi Herald2,

From your OP.
"Some limit the speaking in tongues to merely preaching in other languages. First of all, the gifts are supernatural - not talents or abilities. It would be blasphemous to say that sinners who speak more than one language are operating in the Holy Spirit."

Perhaps a bit of clarification is needed here.

It is true that speaking in another language, other than one's native tongue (first language), is something that almost any human being can learn to do no matter whether saint or sinner. However, it would be considered to be "miraculous" if a person who had never taken a course in speaking another language, or lived amoung those who spoke another language, suddenly started to speak in another language that was "unknown" to the speaker but clearly understood by those present.

I'll try to come back later with additional explination.

Respectfully, your brother in Christ,

Doc

Quote Reply
There seems to be two distinctive "speaking in tongues" mentioned in 1 Cor 14.

Foreign languages are clearly distinguished in

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

In Ac 10 they may have magnified God in, say, "unknown language".

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

Paul clearly refers to such "unknown tongue".

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

But he says that speaking in the unknown tongue is not beneficial in the Church unless in an orderly manner with a translator. This may suggest a spoken language or just simple abra cadabra. Both need a translator.

1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

1Co 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

1Co 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

1Co 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

1Co 14:17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Alas, speaking in the unknown tongue (true or staged) as it takes place in many Churches of today seems to go against this clear instruction of Paul

1Co 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
Quote Reply
Well, by the power of the Spirit through me, I have healed the sick, cast out demons, and in a group of three, raised a man from the dead, just s Paul did with Eutychus in Acts 20:9-12.
Quote Reply
But Paul, should we say, failed to heal Trophimus. What is your view, herald, on this?
Quote Reply
Well, we live in cursed bodies, and one day we will die, until, we get our immortal bodies. But, I claim the promises of God and I am healed every time.

It was prophesied in the book of Joel, and fulfilled in Acts 2.

Read, Christ, The Healer by F.F.Bosworth.
Quote Reply
It does say that tongues is the evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

Please read Acts 2.
Quote Reply
  It does say that tongues is the evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

Where? And what does it say?

Quote Reply
It was prophesied in the book of Joel and fulfilled in Acts 2.
Quote Reply
Personally I prefer to talk about Jesus more thanI do about the things the HS has accomplished through my ministry`. You see I find I can't even minister with out the presence of the HOly Spirirt to anoint and guide;yu see we have nothing of our own.

I remember an old country boy that was an aquaintence of that was called to place where a man was dying. His first remarks were WELL WE'LL GO DOWN THERE AND HEAL HIM!!, When he got there the man immediately got worse. My evangelist friend went off to the side to ask God what was wrong ? The told himm OH YOU REMEMBERED ME----yOU SAID YOU WOULD DO IT SO GO AHEAD!-myFRIEND GOT VERY HUMBLE THEN AND REMMBERED HIS WORDS AND HE BEGAN TO WEEP AND OPENLLY REPENT. hE GOT EVERYONE AROUND THE SICK MAN AND ASK A VERY HUMBLE LITTLE OLD GRANDMOTHER TO PRAY AND PRAY SHE DID OUT OF A FIRST HAND REALTIONSHIP WITH jESUS.

The man was healed of course. The important thing to remember is that the anointing presence of the Holy Spirit is upon you and anything that happens comes only when you are willing to yeild and obey the HS.

m7th
Quote Reply
Herald2 :

You seem to have some sticky computer keys. . .

It was prophesied in the book of Joel, and fulfilled in Acts 2.

Do you mean this?

Then afterward

I will pour out my spirit on all flesh;

your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,

your old men shall dream dreams,

and your young men shall see visions.

Even on the male and female slaves,

in those days, I will pour out my spirit. Joel 2:28-29

Or This?

‘In the last days it will be, God declares,

that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,

and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,

and your young men shall see visions,

and your old men shall dream dreams.

Even upon my slaves, both men and women,

in those days I will pour out my Spirit;

and they shall prophesy. Acts 2:17-18

Funny I can’t see anything which says tongues is the evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

If you can show me someone who speaks in tongues but does not love his neighbour as himself then I can show you someone who shows no evidence of being baptized in The Holy Spirit. They would be merely a sounding gong or clanging symbol.

Regards Chris.