The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Praying for our Cities

Quote Reply
Praying for our Cities
Currently I am part of a city-wide intercessory team that is praying for a) my city and b) my country of Canada. Further to this, I am working with my pastor in co-ordinating an inner city prayer walk. I am firm in my belief that we need to do these kinds of things, but always under the inspiration, direction and wisdom of the Holy Spirit. I am interested in comments as to those already involved in this type of prayer and/or those who are curious about it. Blessings.
Quote Reply
Re: Praying for our Cities In reply to
Go for it! It is an awesome thing to be involved in!

Awhile back the Lord had the intercessors in our church do a prayer walk from the 4 entrances into the city to the center of the city. We had the four men the Lord directed to walk and pray and all meet together at the center where the rest of the team was praying and worshiping the Lord. As each of the 4 men got closer to the center the rain began to fall and as each one of them made it to the center the rain increased each time. What an awesome experience. We were praying for the city officials, businesses, schools, governing bodies, churches and all who lived in the city for revival and God's moving in each of these. The neat thing about the center of the city was, after going and researching it out, that the place it all meets together is in the back yard of one of our intercessors! Talk about a God ordained thing!

I can't wait to hear about how it goes and what results from it. God Bless You!

ex4jc2000

Quote Reply
I hope I am not wasting my time with this post. My fear is that the Church is asleep when it comes to effectively praying for our cities. My city has but 50,000 souls living in it, but has recently identified a "ghetto" atmosphere in a low-income housing development. There is a great deal of drunkenness, violence and intimidation and the source are the teenagers living there. Our intercessory prayer group is aware and concerned. We are waiting on the Lord for the strategies to "prayer walk" this area. The Church is called to be involved in such warfare, yet is largely unaware as to what they can do about it. Shame on us for staying comfortably within our own walls and hiding behind our nice little programs. Where is the spirit of warfare that confronts Satan and takes back what has been stolen? Blessings.
Quote Reply
I only recently heard of this, and understood what it was. I was informed that members of my church actually fly around the state I live in (Florida), and pray for the areas they are flying over, etc. It's showed results! I was amazed at the information. I'm not up to what that group is doing, but am praying for them, and for the governments here. Don't stop doing this, as it's something viable!!
Quote Reply
This "Prayer Walk" ideology and activity is just Hocus Pocus wishful thinking, with no observable effects.

RemiLyn.
Quote Reply
Hokus Pokus?

Well, Jesus says that He answers prayers...

So, what's Hokus Pokus about that??????

Prayer is prayer...whether you're walking or kneeling.

Quote Reply
Too true!! My best praying has been while I'm walking to and from the bus stops!! God did say we should pray without ceasing! So, do you mean I shouldn't pray when I'm moving?
Quote Reply
King's Kid,

I read about Paul praying for the Christians in every church he wrote to but never read about him praying for the whole city. Why not? Or am I overlooking something? If the Holy Spirit wanted us to pray for the entire city/country, wouldn't He have given us a positive example in the New Testament? Also, if you pray standing on a street corner in a depressed area of town, does God hear you better than if you pray at home or in your church building?

Peter

I realize Christ prayed for Jerusalem, but Jerusalem represented Israel, He "came unto his own and his own received him not"...
Quote Reply
Didn't God tell us that we should pray for our leaders, and for those around us? He never mentioned we should limit on where we pray for them, did He?