The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Youth Pastor Needs Some Help

Quote Reply
Youth Pastor Needs Some Help
We have a group of middle school students (grade 6 - 8) and we need to have a discussion about spiritual warfare with them. We have some "friends" in the church basement that were invited in a long time ago and refuse to leave and they just happen to seem to be congregating in the middle school room. We have decided to let the kids know what is going on,and why we insist on doing worship each Wednesday.

Does anyone have any good reference materials they can recommend to help give us some direction in what to tell / not tell the kids. Of course we will be focusing on how God is in control and even Michael the archangel simply says "the Lord rebuke you," but we would like some input.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Youth Pastor Needs Spiritual Help In reply to
Dealing with demons should be left up to ministers who are trained to deal with them.If you attempt to deal with them yourself,they may enter the minds of those in the room.Make some phone calls to local churches to find a minister who has training to cast out demons which few ministers have.You can try Assembly of God churches first because most of their ministers have help and guidance from the Holy Spirit which very few ministers do in these last days.
Quote Reply
Well, that has been done before. It's one of those that requires much prayer and fasting, and, like I said earlier, they were invited in, which makes them even harder to get rid of. There were a few instances in the church history when people in authority hurt children. Demons love that sort of thing--especially when kids are assigned that room.

Also, there is the sense at the church that the majority of the body wants things to stay the same. When things change, families leave (but don't get me started on that!). The church has gone down from around 150 to 75 on an average Sunday in about 6 months, when the pastors began preaching on the more difficult issues. The die-hard "I've grown up in this church so I'm never going to leave no matter what" members are-solely in my opinion-the culpret. Many, many times the church has been prayed through by just the people you were suggesting--to no avail.

We have made rules in the room as to the type of music that is played, the video games on the Dreamcast (sports and racing only, and only before and after youth group time), and what movies are shown for Movie Nights. (The kids wanted to watch Pirates of the Caribbean, and even 'R' rated movies, we put a nix on that right away.)

Not to say that God isn't doing good things--the enemy wouldn't have an interest in the church and group if He wasn't.

We are very excited because soon a small private Christian school will be using the basement to learn about God, praise Jesus, and all week long. That'll make 'em mad!

We are not thinking about doing this simply to teach the kids about spiritual warfare / scare them / get them to look for a demon behind every bush or door. Our thinking is this: the kids worship and take part in the service, where as in the room the kids are hostile, mean, and disrespectful.

Sure, part of it is the age group, I'm not discounting that at all, but there's something else going on, and the kids already know it. We're more trying to get them to know that they can have an idea of what is going on, and that they can have a part in cleaning out the closet. I have no doubt that if the kids themselves start praying for the room, things will finally begin to happen. We also need to let them know they do not need to be afraid.

I was attacked by them about a year ago--I ran back downstairs to grab something from the Resource Room and was suddenly gripped by an overwhelming fear. A primal fear, a run-for-your-life-we're-going-to-get-you type of fear. I stopped, prayed a quickie, and told them, outloud, "I'm not going to be afraid of you. You can't do anything to me that God doesn't allow, so I refuse to be afraid." They haven't bothered me in the same way since, though every once and a while, there's that tingle at the back of the neck, and I just need to remind them Who's in charge.

And that's what I want to convey to the kids. I just need pointers as to how. And, hey, if you want to come out to lil' ol' hick-town Caldwell, Idaho, you're welcome, we'd love to have you help with the cleaning.

-Addendum-

And just because we do not speak in tongues or God has not gifted some in the church with the more 'miraculous' gifts does not mean that the Holy Spirit is not there, and that our church leadership is not led by the Spirit. I resent your last comment. I hope and pray it was not purposely meant as a jab against your fellow workers in the harvest.

God did not give everyone a spiritual prayer language (I am an example of that-He told me I didn't need one), nor the more 'miraculous' gifts (I put it in quotes because I feel every spiritual gift is miraculous, not just the flashier ones). As Paul said to the Corinthians--God gifts everyone differently to do the work that needs to be done. Not everyone can be an eye, or a tongue. Because somebody manifests them doesn't mean they are more spiritual than someone who doesn't--just like anything, these 'miraculous' gifts can be faked, too.

Not to say that God doesn't give those gifts, because I've seen them manifested. But they don't need to manifest for the church down the block to be "Spirit-filled."
Quote Reply
Ok, E. M. Bounds and others have written a ton on spiritual warfare. There's also some online resourses besides this place, as well, if you need that too. If you're interested in or two I know of already, just ask me! As for advice on speaking to teens about this, just start with the Bible and what it say about this subject.
Quote Reply
Re: Youth Pastor Needs Some Help In reply to
ok.. number one...what in the heck are spiritual visitors doing attached to your church? Number two. It sounds as thought you are afraid of them, even if you say you are not. Otherwise why are they still there. Did you anoint the doorposts and window and doorknobs with anointing oil pleading the blood of Jesus Christ on the church and the rooms anointing them. No unclean spirit may enter in where the blood of jesus is covering. Secondly after which command and cast out all demons and spirits of satan in the name of Jesus...with scripture to back it up. Ask Father in the name of Jesus to cover the Church and close all previously opened spiritual/demonic doors and lock them that the spirits may not reenter. Pleading the blood and commanding the spirit out should be all that you need though. And anointing the doorways and windows pleading the blood.

I have another possiblility for you. Something that could be keeping spirits there.... if you have occultists coming to the church that are pretending to be converted christians. Not all occultists dress in all black and look like Elvira. In fact, most of them are virtually indistinguishable from a christian. If there is someone bringing spirits into the church, then that is like legal terms for them to come in. But you can still send them packing, and pleading the blood of Jesus on the doorposts pretty much disables them. The blood covering of Christ erases any ritual that anyone has ever done. Don't believe spiritists versions of how you have to get rid of them. They don't know the truth. They believe in holy water and holy rocks and holy symbols and chanting and such. Sometimes when you believe in the "attachment" more than the solution. The unbelieving is the only thing keeping the anointing of God from flowing where it is supposed to.
Quote Reply
Re: Youth Pastor Needs Some Help In reply to
is this a baptist church,pentecostal church or what?