The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Satans deception: divorce

Quote Reply
Satans deception: divorce
The covenant of marriage is under attack.

God hates sin (Psalm 5:5; Leviticus 20:23; Proverbs 6:16-19; Hosea 9:15).

God hates divorce. Malachi 2:6

Therefore divorce is sin.

God won't answer your prayers while you are actively seeking sin/divorce.

God won't forgive you if you won't forgive others, so you MUST forgive your spouse.

Our walk with God demands unconditional forgiveness.

In marriage, unconditional forgiveness means, reconcilliation. If the partner from whom you seek a divorce has repented and asks forgiveness, then our duty is to forgive and reconcile the marriage. If they seek a divorce and get it, we must still forgive them.

Our first duty is to forgive, repent, and reconcile.

If our spouse will not repent, if they are an abuser, or endangering your life then you have to separate. If there is no adultery, then you must protect your life and health and SEPARATE, but divorce is not an option. If our spouse is an unbeliever and wants a divorce then we are not accountable; you may remarry if you wish. If they are a believer and they obey the Lord and repent of their sin and turn their lives around we have no right before the Lord to ask for a divorce but must do all we can to seek reconciliation. Even if they do not repent of their sin, we have to do what is right before God and not ask for a divorce.

Read Matthew 19. Mark 10:11-13. 1 Corinthians 7:10-12.

1 Corinthians 7:12-14.

In Christ we are priests. Leviticus 21:6-8 So, if we are divorced and must not remarry another person who is divorced unless they had Biblical grounds for a divorce, we may NOT marry a divorced person unless their spouse was an adulterer. To enter into remarriage with a divorced person whose reason for divorce was not an adulterous spouse is for us to commit adultery because we are breaking the covenant they made with God and their original spouse.

Quote Reply
Re: Satans deception: divorce In reply to
Let me ask you for a point of clarification here, because I've seen this happen: if the abuser repents, the other spouse forgives them and reconiles, right? What happens when the abuser is prone to relapse? Does the other spouse just deal with that until death occurs of the abused spouse?
Quote Reply
Ram

Let me ask you a question,Is God able to forgive divorce?I'll answer my own question,yes He is,that being the case I don't know why people try to hold divorce over people heads,true God hates divorce,but sometimes circumstances dictate that two people don't stay together,and abuse is a very good reason not to.If one chooses to seperate and try an work it out thats all good,if not thats all good also.Also true is that one should forgive,however one should not forget,in order to keep whatever happened from happening again.The bottom line is divorce is not the unforgivable sin.
Quote Reply
Its too bad that in North America that most marriages end in divorce, I think it is about 59%... Its sad how our societies have fallen from the righteous path.

In Canada, its even worse, because of the fact our federal government has allowed homosexual marriage.
Quote Reply
I think that everyone has the same rights. Doesn't it say in our pledge "...liberty and justice for all."? Denying people the right to seperate would be denying people the right to live their lives the way they want to. I know that more than 50% of American marriages end in divorce, but that's America. If you don't like it, move. No one's forcing you to stay here. Especially if you're so shallow as to sit there and rant and rave about our government allowing same sex marriages/civil unions. This is America, land of the FREE. We all should be granted the same rights and privilages. Sorry to sound to irked, but this is just the biggotry that i'm rebelling against.
Quote Reply

Actually you're only half right. God does hate sin, God does hate divorce, but that does NOT make divorce a sin. God said he allows for divorce why? Because of the hardening of their hearts. The Bible permits two reasons for divorce adultery and an unbelieving spouse.

To say that God won't answer your prayers while you are actively seeking sin/divorce, is rediculous.

I am not trying to offend you, but in love, trying to guide you to the truth. You pulled a lot of scriptures out and meshed them together to say what you want to say.

Scripture must be interpreted in light of Scripture and in it's original context. You have some good thoughts on other points but honestly, you just come off as being bitter over something.

My responsibility as a Pastor of 10 years is to use scripture to encourage, uplife and even correct and rebuke when necessary. Don't feel that I'm jumping down your throat, I'm not. I just have a responsibility to speak out when scripture is misused.

God bless you.

God would never permit something that is sin. If you're opinion is that divorce is a sin, then that's your opinion, but it's not biblical fact.

Try walking in the shoes of a divorced person
Quote Reply
I'm completely with preacherbrian's post on this one. For the poster who was gay and was set free by Christ, bless you!!! I've come from a single parent household as well, but even my parents and grandparents are in agreement with my beliefs (from the Word) that marriage was set up by God, not man. I'm not for bigotry either, but am not going to support someone's opinion that gay/lesbian marriage is right.
Quote Reply

God also said, "Jacob have I loved, Esau have I hated." Under this logic, it means that just being born a decendant of Esau is a sin. How can we sin by just being born (I'm not going to get into a sin-nature debate). The act of being concieved and being born is not a sin, is it?

God said that He is love (agape). God tells us to love (agape) one another, our neighbor, Him, etc. When we agape God, are we worshipping a being, or the love? When we agape our neighbor, should we worship that love that is being manifested (though yes, God is in that love).

Yes, usually in the Bible (and in the world) 1+1=2. Sometimes, though, that can get a little hairy. God hates divorce, God does not want to see two people joined together just to be ripped apart, but when God releases somebody from a marriage, God is not releasing them to sin against Him.

Divorce is a horrible thing for all parties involved, I think we can all agree on that. Satan uses this, like everything else, to put a wedge between us and God. But to say outright that divorce is a sin--especially when God gives special grace to some people in special circumstances.
Quote Reply
 ram0n (Ramon Sandoval)

First of all, God hates divorce, but second of all, God is also Himself a divorcee having divorced Israel (in a spiritual sense of course). In the Bible, divorce is called "putting away". And the term "covering of a woman with the skirt" means to marry her. You remember how Ruth had encouraged Boaz to marry her in [Ruth 3:9], she told him to place his skirt (coat, cloak, garment) over her. This is how they married back then. I don't want to be too blunt, but what they did then was to go into the tent and he covered her with his coat (cloak, skirt, garment) and they consummated the marriage. And it was a binding marriage in the eyes of all, as well as in the eyes of the Lord. They didn't need to pay some clergy in some church all kinds of money to be married, man added that as he adds many things.

Jer 3:8 (God speaking)

8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also. (KJV)

But now lets look at some scriptures that cover the topic of divorce. There is permissible reason to get a divorce in God's Word. In the below scriptures, both Old and New testament we see:

Deut 24:1-4

1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;

4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. (KJV)

Matt 19:7-9

7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. (KJV)

Matt 5:31-32

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. (KJV)

Mark 10:1-12

1 And he arose from thence, and cometh into the coasts of Judaea by the farther side of Jordan: and the people resort unto him again; and, as he was wont, he taught them again.

2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery. (KJV)

So then, is divorce for reasons other than those above sinful? That's what the Word says. Is divorce an unforgivable sin? Of course not.

Jesus Christ was tortured and murdered on the cross for the sins of mankind, for ALL who would simply accept Him and believe upon Him. To say that you can not be forgiven for a divorce is to say that Christ's blood that day at Calvary was not able, that the sacrifice and offering of One whom had lived 33 years in the flesh and committed not even one sin was not a worthy and an acceptable offering to God in your stead. God forbid!

Divorce is like any other sin, if you have committed it, repent to the Father and asked to be cleansed of it in the name of Jesus Christ. Then it is gone, erased as though it never existed; in fact it is an insult to Christ to ask the Father to forgive the same one sin twice, because what you are basically saying is that you did not believe that God counted Christ's blood and sacrifice worthy the first time. If you commit a particular sin again, then you must repent again.

Once we ask God to forgive us in the name of Jesus Christ, We are cleansed, not because you or I am worthy, man never could be, but because The One who stepped in for us was worthy. If we had to be worthy of forgiveness we would all go to hell. God knew that, that is why He sent us Jesus Christ, that through Him we could have life eternal. God was not just bored and decided to become flesh one day to be tortured and murdered by a bunch of heathen; there is a reason for everything He does, and it is all done in a love that we could never fathom. Even when God chastises us, and He does have His ways of chastising us, it is done BECAUSE He loves us: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." [Prov 13:24].