The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Home » Forum » People » Women

Any knitters, crocheters or gardeners here?

Quote Reply
Any knitters, crocheters or gardeners here?
I love to knit and am learning to crochet. I also love to garden and i grow flowers for the house and fruit and vegetables for the table. I also make jam/jelly.

I traditionally make a new baby blanket to welcome each new baby into the family and in June/July we are expecting our first great -grandchild.
Smile
I am hoping when time allows to use these gifts to bless others. I am hearing of hospices and special care baby units needing blankets and i recently heard about Twiddle Muffs, which are meant to be good for dementia suffers.

I really hope others will use this thread to share their gifts or pattern ideas or gardening tips.

Blessings

Aliesh Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [aliesh] Any knitters, crocheters or gardeners here? In reply to
Oh, Aliesh, I wish I could say that I do. I think about trying it again, but don't know what to start with. My hands shake. It is called "essential tremors", and is common among the elderly.

I think about trying to crochet something, but am afraid of wasting my money on yarn, etc. I used to have all that stuff, but gave it away over the years. But I hope you will continue to post about it as I really enjoy reading.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] Any knitters, crocheters or gardeners here? In reply to
Sarah, i am sure there would be someone. in your church maybe? or a neighbour who has more than enough yarn and needles/hooks? I seem to acquire all these things because people know that i will share them and pass them on. If you were my neighbour or in my church i would certainly share some of the yarn etc that i have been blessed with.

What you knit or crochet does not have to be a big item. There are plenty of people willing to to sew squares. Something which is very popular over here are Twiddle Muffs https://www.pinterest.com/littleredmitten/twiddle-muffs-alzheimers/

I find knitting very relaxing but i do tend to keep it simple. I love to knit blankets and afghans but i do knit baby things too.

I go to a class at a hobby store, something like Hobby Lobby. The classes are free and it is good to get out of the house and have some company. We are all at different stages in the class i attend and we help and encourage one another.

I hope tis helps and i hope it will encourage you to give it a try again. :)
Quote Reply
Hi Sarah and Aliesh.

I can crochet and I used to knit when I was a child and teen. When I broke my foot last March, I crocheted 30 hats or so. It does not relax me at all…odd, huh? In fact, it makes me anxious and tense. I was so in need of something to do besides crosswords and reading and "Breaking Bad" and my daughter had lots of yarn stored for crafts. My grand baby has a couple, but the rest I donated to the local Christian Outreach.

I was taught to knit by a tiny little old lady who lived next door, who made hand sewn dolls and their clothing. She started me out in the traditional way of making socks, using four needles at a time. I was about 7 years old. I never completed the socks, but thanks anyway Mrs. Testerman.

I have little patience for sewing, knitting and such. I am good for patching holes in pants, sewing buttons and the occasional crocheted hat, but not much else. Well..we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Any knitters, crocheters or gardeners here? In reply to
Sewing machines scare me. I would much rather knit, but as you say Jeanne, we are all different. At the moment i can't be doing with knitting sweaters. I would much rather knit afghans or baby blankets. I long to get the hang of crochet, but as the weather gradually improves the garden will beckon and i will have less time for crafts.
Quote Reply
I'm back. It is not a good year for us. Sadly my lovely Mum passed away suddenly and since then there have been other deaths in the family and I just don't know where the time has gone.

I will look in when I can. It would be nice to have some people to "chat to" here .

God bless
Quote Reply
Sorry to hear about the sadness of your year. We do have a "Prayer Requests" forum here where you can post and people will pray. Come by when you can or when you feel the need.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Hi Aliesh. Welcome back.

I am so sorry that you lost your Mum. Sometimes it seems like life keeps kicking us when we are down. As my husband said the other day, "We can't seem to catch a break."

Letting go is hard to do. Loving hurts. But it is the best way any of us can ever spend our days…loving others.

It doesn't have to be in major ways; sometimes just knowing that someone often thinks of you is enough to make you feel loved.

I hope your days get better.

I remember after I lost my beloved MIL, Virginia, I was doing so well…cuz I am practical that way. Then I was grocery shopping and stopped in front of the cheese section, looked at the Kraft White American and broke into tears. She loved the grilled cheese sandwiches that I often made her.

I loved all my parents while they were alive and they knew it everyday. That kind of fullness in life makes it easier to let go.

Time flies…and topics stray…

Still…patching pants and sewing on buttons here.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Any knitters, crocheters or gardeners here? In reply to
Hi Sarah and Jeanne. Thank you for your kind words. I am trying to keep busy. This year has gone so fast. I have a number of projects on the go at the moment. We are currently having a major declutter of the house and trying to simplifiy the garden.
Quote Reply
Haha…currently? Currently? That sort of stuff never stops! Especially if you never move! Laugh

Good luck with your task, Aliesh.