The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

AM I HERE TO BRING SOME HEALING IN THE WORD?

Quote Reply
AM I HERE TO BRING SOME HEALING IN THE WORD?
TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION I HAD TO GO BACK TO THE DAYS WHEN THE LORD FIRST DEALT WITH ME ABOUT!! I FIND THAT NO PART OF THIS TIME OF BRINGING TO MINISTRY HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH DEBATES; I FIND THAT THEY HAVE AN EQUAL PART IN THE CONFUSION OF THOSE READ THIS.

MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT A BELIEVER NEEDS A PROPER DIRECTION IN THE WORD RATHER THAN CONFUSING RHETORIC.

DON'T GET ME WRONG I WAS REPLYING TO POST THAT MIGHT LEAD TO DISCUSSION.

I CANNOT FIT THE DEFINITION OF AGAPE INTO ANY DEBATE SITUATION
WE MUST COME TO THE POINT THAT WE UNDERSTAND THAT THE GLORY AND GRACE OF HEAVEN AND ITS INHABITANTS CAN BE COMPREHENDED IN A EARTHLY VIEW

IN CHRIST----still learning

m7th
the watchman

Last edited by:

m7thprophet: Sep 8, 2018, 8:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [m7thprophet] AM I HERE TO BRING SOME HEALING IN THE WORD? In reply to
Agape?

Do you believe that only Christians are able to have that kind of selfless love?
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] AM I HERE TO BRING SOME HEALING IN THE WORD? In reply to
yes

that love comes from Christ through the HOLY SPIRIT
Quote Reply
Hi, Jeanne,
I think your question was a little loaded.. :)
I'm not sure anyone can have that kind of selfless love that Jesus had for people when He walked the earth. As humans, I think we are much too selfish to love as Jesus loved. As humans it is really difficult to get rid of "self" and walk in "Christ's love". Maybe it can happen in Heaven, once we are released from our selfish nature. I think, just my opinion, that one of the purposes for us to walk through this life is to get rid of "self" and learn how to exist in "Christ's love". It is not an easy challenge, and most of us could easily take a full life-time to accomplish it.
Blessings ~ Sarah

Last edited by:

praizeop2: Sep 6, 2018, 5:57 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Jim.

No, you can't claim that Greek word, which describes a universal love, an unconditional love, an altruistic love, a love that puts the good of others above oneself...and then claim that agape only comes from the Holy Spirit believed in by Christians.

Or...you can, but you can't advertise as such, because that would be false advertising.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] AM I HERE TO BRING SOME HEALING IN THE WORD? In reply to
Hi Sarah.

Yes, I think there are many who have that kind of selfless love and some who spend a lifetime as martyrs to that cause. I think you sell human beings far too short.

Just as there are human beings capable of the most demonic actions, there are those capable of acting as the better angels.

Anytime a human being sacrifices his or her life for another, that is agape. When a human gives of what they have to another, that is agape. When humans spend their lives doing humanitarian work, that is agape. Humans are capable of doing thus for absolute strangers. That is agape.

Unconditional love is agape. This love is willing to accept another in forgiveness time and time again, to welcome back the stray, to find a way to continue to love and hope for love to be returned.

How many times? Well..human beings cannot survive being completely a fool, but is seems more that many are often willing to give it one more time, again. And with agape there is always that hope that forgiveness will be accepted and love will be returned. For most, once agape is given it cannot be recalled.

The self must survive in order to continue to offer the love that Thomas Aquinas described as "to will the good of another." In order to survive, the self must consider the self and its needs, both physical and "spiritual." In other words, if any living body were to "get rid of 'self'" as you put it, it would die quick. One may decide to try to be as selfless as possible, but there is no way to exist merely in a form of love..unless you are speaking figuratively and not literally.

Do you not find it selfish for Christians to claim this love for themselves, their God and their religion? I do. I also find the notion to be full of hubris. That is another Greek word and means "excessive pride or self-confidence."

And, by the way, I am by no means angry or depressed or hurt, so do not take my reply as coming from any source such as that. I am merely expressing my thoughts about the total appropriation by Christians of a Greek word describing one type of love.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Jeanne: Hi

I think the problem here is the tendency for Christians to think in terms of us/them instead of a universal acceptance of our corporate human need for salvation, (the entire human race), and the Christian's privileged situation of both knowing of that Salvation and having grasped it with all their heart, (but not necessarily their mind as well).

Atheists on the other hand are on the opposite tack, of grasping the non-necessity of struggling to please a God they don't believe exists anyway, (a relaxed attitude every believer aught too, to have, if they are entirely relying upon the Holy Spirit and God's Grace to sustain them), but the atheist is mistakenly dismissive of the 'Great Salvation' that is theirs, (as a human being in The World), because they feel no need for it, nor accept its presence over their lives.

Salvation is, I think something over which we have no control. We just obtain it because it is there. A free gift from God. It's appreciating it that makes the huge difference.

Whether we are grateful for it, will determine our outlook. Being grateful for it is a matter more of getting on with living and loving others, than it is of being 'religious' and grovelling to God about our stupidity, wrongness etc. We will always be wrong and stupid, compared to God, as long as we live, whoever we are.

So Christians, (those who are lucky enough to have the right attitude), don't all think that only the religiously minded are capable of agape love. They are rather more inclined to recognize agape love in others, (even in atheists), as being a gift from God, rather than a work of the flesh. The selflessness of agape love, is an indication that God is indeed present in that person. Even if their intellect cannot accept the concept of 'God' for whatever logical reasons they espouse or have convinced themselves are true.

I think what we can all agree on is that such agape love is unusual even remarkable and we each instinctively know when we have met up with it.

Les Miserables, (A musical on stage or screen, worth seeing), has a famous line:

"To love another person is to see the face of God."

I like that. Smile
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Sep 7, 2018, 8:56 AM
Quote Reply
THE FULL ENGLISH DEFINITION FOR AGAPE FALLS FAR SHORT OF THE GREEK UNDERSTANDING OF IT.
AGAPE IS REALLY A GREEK WORD FOR LOVE IN THE ORIGINAL BIBLICAL VERSION AND TO UNDERSTAND IT YOU ALMOST WOULD HAVE TO STAND AT THE FOOT OF THE CROSS AND SEE WHAT JESUS ENDURED FOR THOSE THAT WOULD ACCEPT IT.

IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER WHAT OUR PERCEPTION OF THE WORD AGAPE MIGHT BE BECAUSE WE CAN'T COMPREHEND WHAT HEAVEN DOES IN THE OUTPOURING OF CHRIST FOR YOU AND I.. CAN IT(LOVE) BE DONE ON OUR LEVEL; YES BY ALL MEANS THROUGH ACCEPTING WHAT JESUS DID FOR US AND THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL MAKE IT LIVE IN US..

YOU CAN DENY HIS EXISTENCE OR WHO HE WAS BUT THE DENIAL ONLY AFFECTS YOU BECAUSE THE WORK OF THE CROSS IS AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO DO ACCEPT. HEAVEN DOES EXIST WITH A LORD WHO IS THE KING OF KINGS.
WE CANNOT DEFINE A HEAVENLY TERM IN EARTHLY LANGUAGE

THERE IS AN OLD SONG THAT GOES LIKE THIS THE LOVE OF GOD IS GREATER FAR THAN THE TONGUE OF MEN CAN EVER TELL; IT GOES BEYOND THE BRIGHTEST STAR AND REACHES TO THE LOWEST HELL)
M7TH
WATCHER ON THE WALL

Last edited by:

m7thprophet: Sep 8, 2018, 1:16 PM
Quote Reply
THE PHILIPINO'S HAVE AN OBSERVANCE OF CHRIST.S DEATH ON THE CROSS ,SEVERAL MEN WHO HAVE VOLUNTEERED TO GO THROUGH THIS AN SIMULATE WHAT CHRIST WENT THROUGH & IN THIS .
THEY ARE ACTUALLY NAILED TO THE CROSS AND ARE KEPT UNDER MEDICAL OBSERVATION, TO MAKE SURE THAT NO INFECTION OCCURS OR A TRAGIC LOSS HAPPENS AS RESULT OF THE SHOCK FROM THIS EXPERIENCE.
WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IN THE SCOPE YOU CAN HAVE. JESUS CHOSE TO GO TAKE TO PAY THE PRICE OF SIN FOR YOU AND I THROUGH THIS BECAUSE HE NEW WHAT IT. YOU TRY TO MEASURE THE MEANING OF THAT JESUS GAVE FOR YOU.
THE LOVE HEAVEN HELD FOR MANKIND IS NOT WITHIN THE SCOPE OF MAN'S ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND. LIKE THE SONG "IT GOES BEYOND THE BRIGHTEST STAR AND REACHES TO THE LOWEST HELL.

THERE IS A DISCREPANCY IN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MAN AND HEAVEN WHEN WE TRY TO IMAGINE THE SIZE OF THE LOVE OF THE LORD AND THE CAPACITY FOR HIS LOVE. HIS LOVE IS NOT WITH IN OUR SCOPE TO VISUALIZE.