The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Boston Marathon Bombing

(Page 1 of 2)
Quote Reply
Boston Marathon Bombing
We are all aware of what took place at the Boston Marathon. Let us hear your thoughts and your prayers.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] Boston Marathon Bombing In reply to
Hi Sarah,

my immediate thoughts when I heard the news were not good. I am becoming somewhat COLD to such news as they are happening so often. Later, my expression was "How could people be so heartless?" It was much later that my mind was conditioned to stat intercession for the hurting people and for the culprits to be found and be punished. I have not come to the place to pray for the evil workers yet. I hope that they will be arrested and be made to feel what others have felt under their hands. I hope that when I see them on the news later that my heart will be more gracious towards them and pray for their deliverance both physical and spiritual.

With love and peace to you.
Abdool
Quote Reply
Re: [gloriousdays] Boston Marathon Bombing In reply to
You made some very good points, Abdool. (And I hope you and I will not be the only two talking about this here!)
Terrorist incidents ARE happening often lately. They always have been in other countries, but now in THIS country!
But things have been getting steadily worse. In my growing up years, there were only two murders in Cleveland, that I knew about. One was local and the other was the Sam Sheppard case. You probably remember hearing about that one.The theory was that a one-armed man killed his wife. I did not grow up in danger of being shot on the street.

Now there are streets I stay away from.

Times are definitely changing. I find it difficult to forgive those that do these horrific things. But I guess if Jesus lives in me and He has forgiven them, I should be able to forgive them also.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Sarah, you are wise to avoid certain streets because they are not safe. I have never heard of the Sam Sheppard case, not from what I can recall, but maybe I saw a movie based on it. I am living in a city that gets a lot of violence but I am not afraid because I know that my Heavenly Father has put me here for a light to shine in the darkness. Still I am not stupid to go to places where I can get into troubles when it is avoidable.

When I think about the Boston tragedy I see innocent people going to an event to bring some joy into their lives. How could they have avoided a place that was supposed to be very safe? As I am writing this sentence I have a feeling of a shudder coming on. Where is it safe now? The cinemas are targets. The schools are also targets. It seems that what is a common factor to these attacks are wicked spirits whose delight is to find a crowd and do damage no matter how innocent the people are. That is murdering just for joy! That is to take away the joy of the joy seekers. The message of the times seems to be---Do not rejoice in your gatherings because we don't like that. If you do we will get you to stop.

Behind all of these terrible killings in many places of the world are wicked spirits. The times are indeed like the times of Noah, when the earth was filled with violence. It is a sign of the end of the age: a sure sign which the world cannot really deny because even when they do it is not far from them. It is affecting them. It is the time of increased sorrows.

I hope that wasn't too long.

Abdool
Quote Reply
Hello Sarah and Abdool.

Certainly there is evil at work when such horrible events take place, whether it takes the form of severe mental illness or fanatic religious beliefs or extreme political beliefs...each act of violence perpetrated because of these is evil stalking among us.

Those who would seek to kill and main to promote an agenda or prove a point are deranged by whatever reason you or I may think. All sane and civil humans should be able to agree upon that, whether they are believers of any sort or nonbelievers. All should condemn such acts, but we have seen that not all do.

It is amazing that more incidents such as this (assuming that this was a terrorist bombing by those who hate America) have not occurred. I know many have been foiled, but this one got past all the precautions. All anyone can do is try to be safe and smart and then the rest is left up to fate...or God, as you will.

If the bombs were done by Islamic extremists, then it has been an awful reminder to us that no matter what our current government may say, they are still at war with us and are acting on that premise. If it was done by political extremists, either right or left (left being the more likely as history shows) then we can prosecute to the full extent of the law. If it was a mentally ill person, the same can apply. Perhaps the FBI has a clue by now. I hope it leads to a quick answer and a swift prosecution. The Islamic terrorist possibility will not be quick or swift...or may not come at all from this President. Has anything been done about Benghazi, yet?

None of this alters the reality for those caught in this terrible plot to destroy. It tears the heart and mind of each of us.

Glenn Beck's Mercury One Foundation has a special donation fund in which all the monies raised will go to the victims of the Boston bombing...but one needs to click on that particular fund.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Boston Marathon Bombing In reply to
Hi Jeanne,

Very sound thoughts from you. How soon we have forgotten about Benghazi. We need more people to voice their thoughts here. Maybe some of them could remind us of other tragedies that affected them or someone they know. It is not so that we dwell on these things too much but a reminder may help our hearts to see some other aspect of these hurtful events. I hope some will come and just say a few words of comfort to those who are reading who may have suffered terrible things as the people from Boston are suffering.

Abdool
Quote Reply
Abdool, I must apologize, for I misspoke. The murder of Sam Sheppard's wife was a LONG time ago (1954). He was a well-known surgeon in Cleveland and claimed she was killed by a one-armed man. It is a very interesting story and can be read at http://crime.about.com/...y/p/sheppard_sam.htm The strange thing about that report is that it says the murderer was a fuzzy-haired man. I don't EVER remember hearing that, and they say NOTHING about the killer having only one arm. ?? I suppose by not it is not important, but sometimes one wonders. :)

I believe that people are not praying enough for their own protection. Of course, probably most that took part in the marathon were not praying people. Every time my husband and I get in the car we pray the Blood of Jesus over it (top to bottom, front to back, side to side) and ask the Lord to put angels all around us and keep other vehicles far from us. We have never had an accident since we have been Christians. We also pray that prayer over our children and grandchildren and they have not had accidents either. I totally believe that it is because of our prayers that we have not had accidents.

Whenever we go to anything like a ballgame or whatever, we always pray about it. We pray for the people and the situation. And we are safe. I honestly do not believe most Christians pray this way. Then they wonder why bad things happen to good people. It is because the good people didn't pray.

My point being about the cinemas and schools... is anyone praying? I know that from now on whenever we go to a movie, we are going to pray for safety, etc., before we go in. And we will be safe because we will call down angels to protect us. Yes, the times are bad and getting worse; but that just means that as Christians we must be stronger. For in Christ we have authority over all things... if we use it.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Hi everyone :

I believe that people are not praying enough for their own protection. . . . . . . Yes, the times are bad and getting worse; but that just means that as Christians we must be stronger. For in Christ we have authority over all things... if we use it.

About the Boston bombing.

In a world where relatively few know, appreciate and appropriately respond to God’s unconditional grace, there will inevitably be evil acts done by wicked people for foolish reasons.

In Boston, this abominable act of selfish, careless cruelty was clearly perpetrated by a deluded intelligence, if the word ‘intelligence’ can even be thought appropriate. Perhaps ‘Satanic cunning’ would fit better.

That having been said however, I would take issue with those who might suggest that the victims were in some way to blame for their own demise, through lack of prayer or failure to have sufficient faith that God would protect them from all harm.

Such a simplistic theology might seem plausible to some, but I would question some of it’s apparently ill thought through assumptions.

Do we know that every person injured or killed was ‘unbelieving’? No!
Even if they were, does that mean God must have cared less about their fate? No!
Do we know that every person injured or killed had not prayed before the event? No!
Do we know that God would have prevented this if more people had prayed for protection? No!
Can we assume that God is dependent upon our prayers in order to ACT? No!
Is it right to speculate that God 'permitted' this to happen because too few people prayed? No!
Can we assume that God is always going to protect us when we pray? No!

The reason the answer to the last question is a confident ‘No!’, is because God does not place the responsibility for our salvation or our preservation in this life, let alone the next, entirely upon US. God has full responsibility for what is allowed to happen to the world, and to each one of us.

If that responsibility extended even to allowing / permitting, the human race to torture and nail God’s only Son to a piece of wood and watch him slowly suffocate to death, then we must accept that suffering, danger, wickedness and death are ‘inevitable‘ consequences of life itself, in a world of this kind. Inevitable consequences that even God himself could not avoid and circumvent, when He dwelt among us in the person of Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ.

It is with an overwhelming sadness that God must view a world that still remains ignorant of His gracious forbearance and willingness to forgive. An ignorance which was typified by the disgraceful and appalling outrage committed at Boston recently. An ignorance that seeks to destroy, harm and disrupt rather than be reconciled and reformed.

Nevertheless, it must be a cause for optimism and hope for the human condition, that so much selfless heroism and compassionate action ensued out of this tragedy. The forces of evil have certainly not overcome righteousness and decency yet. It is our responsibility, in so far as we are able, to ensure that remains the case.

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Apr 18, 2013, 9:43 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [rdrcofe] Boston Marathon Bombing In reply to
Hi Chris,
I am delighted to read your input. I have to think a lot more on what you are saying. I agree with some of them but I am not sure that we who are Christians are without authority to determine the outcome of certain things on our lives and the lives of others. Sarah is right about the authority that we have but she should realize that the authority can only be effective within the plans or purposes of God. In His plans many Christians MUST suffer despite prayers. What I think Sarah is saying is that when our prayers should be made and our authority should be exercised but we NEGLECT to be faithful and wise to act then we will suffer needlessly.

Abdool
Quote Reply
'I am not sure that we who are Christians are without authority to determine the outcome of certain things on our lives and the lives of others.'

Of course, we have the authority of Jesus Christ, through the Holy Spirit. Why else would we be told to pray "Thy will be done on Earth" and "Deliver us from evil", if there was not the real possibility that God has the power to do as we request.

Having the boldness to come before God with our 'requests' however, does not mean that the responsibility rests upon us to ensure our own security through constant prayer. Still less to place the blame for being caught up in disaster upon the victims lack of faith or prayer. Jesus never insinuated that those who died when the tower of Siloam collapsed were lacking in faith or prayer, or that they were greater sinners than the norm either.

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.
Quote Reply
Chris, I don't have time to write as much as I would like here, cuz I am very opinionated on this subject. But...

Having the boldness to come before God with our 'requests' however, does not mean that the responsibility rests upon us to ensure our own security through constant prayer.

Then why are we to "pray without ceasing"?
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Then why are we to "pray without ceasing"?

For other people, who do not know the love of God.

Prayer consists of (1) Confession (2) Praise (3) Adoration (4) Intercession (5) Supplication / Petition.

Prayer is an attitude, not necessarily an 'act'. One can be truly 'prayerful' merely by having a trusting attitude before God. Man prays because God has already touched his/her spirit.

"Prayer without ceasing" is an attitude of living, not a constant repetition of requests.

Regards Chris.
Quote Reply
I know of a lady who was raped and beaten. The man was caught and in prison when she started wriying him and, on occasion visited him. She assured hin she forgave him and, through her witness, he accepted Christ as Lord and Savior. Only a sovereign God of grace can work such miracles.
Quote Reply
Having the boldness to come before God with our 'requests' however, does not mean that the responsibility rests upon us to ensure our own security through constant prayer.

I am still on this... [and thanks, Abdool, for interpreting what I am trying to say. :) I know what I mean!!!... but Chris is "across the pond" so I will excuse him!. ((((((((Chris)))))))) ]

Do you remember the earthquake that hit San Francisco (I believe it was 1989 playoffs) and they had to clear the stadium? I was living in Santa Cruz. Only two people were killed that day and they were in a coffee shop about half a mile from our house. My elderly mother was living with me. It was almost 5:00 pm. I was going to take her out to sit on the front steps, when I felt the Lord telling me to take her into the back yard instead. It was just minutes after we got there that the tremors started. I stood in the middle of the yard, hugging her and praying, and watching the houses move back and forth. We were fine. Our house was fine, but the house next door lost its chimney which fell onto our front steps where we would have been sitting. I DO believe our prayers can have authority over our lives.

What amazed me most, however, was that the next day when we met for church, so many people were STILL frightened. Yes, there were aftershocks, but those were not dangerous. I heard of another situation... a praying mother who each afternoon set her small baby by the daddy's desk in front of his bookcases. That day, she felt "led" to not put the baby there, and in the earthquake, the bookcases fell and would have harmed the baby. Yes, to me, THAT is why we pray without ceasing. We cannot take God's goodness for granted without dialoguing with Him and letting Him know that we appreciate His protection over us.

My bottom line is that I believe that Abba is big enough to bring His will to pass in our lives without damaging us. I expect many will disagree with me on this, but nothing will change my mind. My God is mighty above all things and His ways are much, much higher than ours. He doesn't need to harm us in order for His will to be done. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it! :) [The one exception would be Jesus' crucifixion.]
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Sarah:

My God is mighty above all things and His ways are much, much higher than ours. He doesn't need to harm us in order for His will to be done. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it! :)

I have argument with what you say here.

God has no intention of harming us. That is not why we are told to ask God not to 'lead us into temptation'. God does not lead into temptation anyway.

However, the notion that every bad situation will be avoided simply by praying for protection is ill founded.
Also the notion that we will never face a terminal situation if we 'pray constantly', that 'this cup may be taken from us', is also ill founded.

If either of these premises is founded on fact and demonstrably true, then the logical implication is that the Christian martyrs, in every age, were out of touch with God and either not prayerful or God did not act to 'save' them from their fate by responding positively to their prayers for deliverance.

Scripture would indicate otherwise.

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. Ps 116:15.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Rom. 8:35.

The supposition in both these Bible verses is that God's saints will necessarily suffer. It is how they are enabled to cope with that situation that is attributed to God, not their ability to escape from it by the power of prayer.

Any theological speculation which does not take full account of Jesus' words is lacking in something.

Jesus said. "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.."

Regards Chris.
Quote Reply
Okay, more "devices" found this morning. Boston and the surrounding area seems to be under attack. Newscasters are saying they don't ever remember a whole city being locked down like Boston is today. What does this mean to the USA?
Blessings ~ Sarah

Last edited by:

praizeop2: Apr 19, 2013, 12:04 PM
Quote Reply
Sarah, the USA is just being smarter. They had to lock down the city to save lives. The financial side will suffer but that is bearable compared to the cost of several people if more people were to be killed. Choosing to suffer financial losses for the sake of the citizens of Boston was the right way to go. Righteous deeds are very costly sometimes but in the end, greater losses will be stopped.

Abdool
Quote Reply
"God does not lead into temptation anyway"

Mat 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

I suppose the Holy Spirit forgot about that in this case?
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Boston Marathon Bombing In reply to
They caught him (the second suspect) tonight. He is in serious condition in the hospital but, will he live to face trial? Our 'president' has already shown that he favors Muslims over America. He is still in danger of losing his life and Obama can arrange it.
Quote Reply
Faith says,

Dan 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Dan 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

God doesn't always choose to deliver us as he did these three.
Quote Reply
Re: [Probiblos1948] Boston Marathon Bombing In reply to
Allen: probiblos1948:

Mat 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

I suppose the Holy Spirit forgot about that in this case?

Your literalism is once again influencing your interpretation here I think Allen.

It was necessary for Jesus to give due consideration to the nature of his mission on earth and how he should use the power that had been granted him by God. A testing period inevitably followed the baptismal experience, (as it so often does for us today). Jesus had responded to John's preaching, dedicated himself to God's cause, received the Spirit, and realized that he was the expected 'Messianic King' of psalm 2 and the 'Servant' of Isa. 17:1 How was he to use his power? How far was he to conform to popular expectations concerning the coming leader of God's people? To live is to choose, to decide between good and evil alternatives.

God was not forcing alternative choices upon Jesus. The alternative choices were made clear to him and presented predictable outcomes for Jesus and the success of his ministry.

The Spirit led him up to a time of decision, but the devil is there to urge selfish, skeptical, ambitious, compromising procedures.

To be led by God to the place where we can consider alternatives is not 'being tempted' by God. It is being offered council. If we make the wrong choices we cannot blame God or the devil for having 'tempted' us. It is ourselves who have made the wrong choices.

God does not lead us into temptation, but instead, delivers us from evil. So long as we make the right choices.

Regards Chris.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Apr 20, 2013, 1:18 AM
Quote Reply
Hello Allen and Chris,
Try looking at that scripture (Matthew 4:1) along with a few more verses. In chapter 3:17, And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Think of God’s beloved Son as the LAST ADAM instead. The Holy Spirit was leading or controlling the LAST ADAM, not only in deeds but in words also. Instead of going to a Garden of Eden like the FIRST ADAM did, He had to go into a wilderness. The Holy Spirit was leading Jesus to PREPARE Him for the ensuing battle in the wilderness and elsewhere as shown by the three temptations (Matthew 4:1-11). 2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
The FIRST ADAM lost to Satan because of FOOD. The LAST ADAM destroyed the Devil’s FOOD PLAN right at the start line of that race, as shown in the first temptation. God’s plan for us sometimes is similar and we have to battle and win but sometimes we are not going to be WELL PREPARED. Those are the times our prayers to lead us not into temptations will protect us. Father will make a way of escape for us. God is never the tempter. However, beloved sons must be LED TO BE PREPARED for battles to overcome the tempter (Devil), his fellows (Demons) and followers (People). They must also overcome their own fleshly desires (LUST), even when there is no one to tempt them.

Abdool

Last edited by:

gloriousdays: Apr 20, 2013, 9:55 AM
Quote Reply
I think that at the Baptism, Jesus was 'washed' and anointed just as the law required priests to be. While I agree this was a real temptation, I believe its purpose was to launch a direct frontal assault upon Satan, the great tempter and showed His authority over Him.
Quote Reply
The word tempted means tried or proven Chris. It has the same meaning in the prayer "lead us not into temptation." God does lead us into trials but does not tempt us to do evil. My "literalness" had nothing to do with my statement. I just couldn't resist picking on you a little to remind you of our old debates. I'm sure there will be more to come but, always with a loving attitude as brothers in the Lord.
Quote Reply
Being 'tried or proven' is not being 'led into temptation' Allen.

Jesus tested his disciples.

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. John 6:66-69.

Being required to make a decision in line with God's thinking, is not being tempted by God. It would certainly be a test of one's integrity, but not a 'temptation'. God does not lead into 'temptation'. The nature of our existence, as arranged by God, seems to be that we have 'choices' to make and will be held accountable for the reasons those choices were made. If the reasons were selfish and clearly against God's advice as found clearly in scripture and as delineated in the 'golden rule', then there will be a reckoning to be made at the judgment seat. If the reasons are covered by mitigating circumstances, there may be an acquittal.

Either way though, God has not 'tempted' us towards one choice or another. It is the devil that does that, and he usually suggests what seems to be the easy way out.

Regards Chris.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Apr 20, 2013, 1:37 PM