The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Are we those who have ears to hear or not?

Quote Reply
Are we those who have ears to hear or not?
Can it be that we have so much ossified the word of God and contained it in a single Book, that we no longer can hear the voice of The Holy Spirit from any other quarter. 'Listening' was key to understanding the parables of Jesus and His ultimate warning and encouragement message to the Jewish 'Church'. Have we also become dull of hearing and slow to understand? When confronted with this famous poem do we 'listen', read, mark learn and inwardly digest, or do we simply dismiss as irrelevant what we do not make the effort to understand?

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Are we actually 'sleep walking' through this prophesy buffeted by Trump, Brexit and Alt Right/Far left 'passionate intensity' etc? Is the 'falcon' of Alt Right and Ult Left politics now 'deaf' to reason and simply enjoying their release by dog whistling, manipulative, show seeking, ambitious, narcissistic politicians, and now running amuck, sabotaging democracy and promoting 'mere anarchy' to attain their own nefarious ends?
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.
Quote Reply
Re: [rdrcofe] Are we those who have ears to hear or not? In reply to
I WONDER CHRIS-----I REALLY DO THERE IS OPEN ROCKET BEING EXCHANGED IN THE GAZA BETWEEN THE IDF AND THE TERRORISTS (HAMAS AND OTHERS)

THE ROCKETS THAT GOT THROUGH ARE FALLING INTO THE CITIES OF ISRAEL

WHAT IS THE CLOCK STRIKING NOW FOR THE RETURN OF THE LORD???

WHAT TIME IS IT/
Quote Reply
Hi Chris and Jim.

This from here: https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/04/07/no-slouch/

<<Yeats began writing the poem in January 1919, in the wake of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and political turmoil in his native Ireland. But the first stanza captures more than just political unrest and violence. Its anxiety concerns the social ills of modernity: the rupture of traditional family and societal structures; the loss of collective religious faith, and with it, the collective sense of purpose; the feeling that the old rules no longer apply and there’s nothing to replace them.>>

<<Of course, twentieth-century history did turn more horrific after 1919, as the poem forebodes. The narrator suggests something like the Christian notion of a “second coming” is about to occur, but rather than earthly peace, it will bring terror. As for the slouching beast, the best explanation is that it’s not a particular political regime, or even fascism itself, but a broader historical force, comprising the technological, the ideological, and the political. A century later, we can see the beast in the atomic bomb, the Holocaust, the regimes of Stalin and Mao, and all manner of systematized atrocity.>>

So, nothing is new under the Sun, merely amplified until we arrive to current events, including the rise of Islam in Europe and the degeneration of America from decades of Communist planning.

Whatever "Armageddon" is finally arrived at, its Biblical interpretation is only relevant to the "People of the Book." For the rest of us, believers and non-believers, we can hear if we listen to history. Most people aren't listening at all. Many are caught up in the upheaval of their nations or merely of their own lives. Engaged not because they care about prophesy of any sort, but because they are trapped, some literally and others figuratively. Those trapped figuratively are often placed there by elites looking to establish victims to do the "useful idiot" work needed to promote Communism.

Stopping the "slouching beast" is another matter altogether, if such a thing is possible. Appointing blame is a fool's errand.

As Rudyard Kipling's poem suggests, human beings seem to cycle and truthfully, history proves this out.

The Gods of the Copybook Headings

AS I PASS through my incarnations in every age and race,
I make my proper prostrations to the Gods of the Market Place.
Peering through reverent fingers I watch them flourish and fall,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings, I notice, outlast them all.

We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn
That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn:
But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breadth of Mind,
So we left them to teach the Gorillas while we followed the March of Mankind.

We moved as the Spirit listed. They never altered their pace,
Being neither cloud nor wind-borne like the Gods of the Market Place,
But they always caught up with our progress, and presently word would come
That a tribe had been wiped off its icefield, or the lights had gone out in Rome.

With the Hopes that our World is built on they were utterly out of touch,
They denied that the Moon was Stilton; they denied she was even Dutch;
They denied that Wishes were Horses; they denied that a Pig had Wings;
So we worshipped the Gods of the Market Who promised these beautiful things.

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
(Which started by loving our neighbour and ended by loving his wife)
Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "The Wages of Sin is Death."

In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul;
But, though we had plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "If you don't work you die."

Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That All is not Gold that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Are we those who have ears to hear or not? In reply to
Nice one Jeanne.

The penultimate verse is a real stonker of a truth though.

History teaches us nothing but that most learn nothing from history, and those that learn nothing are condemned to painfully repeat it and inflict that pain on others who have.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Nov 13, 2018, 11:53 AM
Quote Reply
Okay...

So I had to look up "penultimate." Smile

Never read or heard that word before.

And, "stonker" as well.

Thanks for two Words of the Day, Chris. I feel so much smarter... Laugh

<<History teaches us nothing but that most learn nothing from history, and those that learn nothing are condemned to painfully repeat it and inflict that pain on others who have. >>

Yes, indeed. I have Glenn Beck to thank for enlightening me to the foibles of human history and Rudyard Kipling's poem. He is a dedicated learner of history and its cycles. You should really give him another chance, sometime.

His latest book is called "Addicted To Outrage" and part of it is linked to a sort of 12 Step program to help get humanity (or anyone who cares) out of the addiction, but much of it is just facts and philosophy and reasoning. Still reading it.

He is such an interesting man, totally human, often funny, self-deprecating, charitable, intelligent...ADHD afflicted, with an insatiable desire to learn and read and to help others to understand what is happening in the world in the undercurrents, which shape the future.

Admits all his mistakes and keeps changing trying to be a better person and to understand his role, which he feels is set in motion by God.

Bad moments, biased media, outrageous Left set to destroy him all the time in all the ways it can. Because they believe, as do I, that his is one of the more important voices of the early 21st Century.

Anyway...thanks for the new words.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."