The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

International Student Outreach

(Page 1 of 2)
Quote Reply
International Student Outreach
You might be surprised to learn that many of the future leaders of countries are studying in universities in the U.S. Much of the training of overseas leaders occurs in universities here. In some of the countries it is extremely difficult to reach them with the Gospel once they return home, so they need to be reached here. There are a couple of different Christian ministries that attempt to do this, and connecting with them and helping them to reach international students with friendship evangelism is a great opportunity for Christians here and now. Here are a few of those ministries I mentioned: Intervarsity & International Students.
Craig Dressler
http://christianbook2.webs.com
Quote Reply
Re: [craigdressler] International Student Outreach In reply to
Hi, Craig,
I think we would all be surprised to find out how many foreign young people and pastors, etc., are being reached through Praize. Most we don't even know about, but I recently prayed with a young, black pastor from Africa. I think that when the numbers come down, even I will be amazed at the influence Praize has had over people from other countries. There are hundreds of people on Praize at any given time during every day. I guess that is my reason for being here.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] International Student Outreach In reply to
Hi Sarah.

Your website offers a variety of resources to Christians, whether newly come to the faith or long-time faithful.

I know there are many readers, but not many who post in the forums, but there are always a lot of members and guests taking advantage of the information here.

Praize is a well done and worthy website.

Personally, I always disliked the religious groups that roamed my college campus from time to time. Offering information and opportunity for discussion isn't what bothered me. It was the self-righteous in-your-face preaching aimed at, and often cornering, those whom the "saved" felt were hell-bound for various reasons that should have been considered verbal assault and harassment and treated as such. If you walked away, at least one would follow and continue shouting about your sins and how you can and MUST be saved...blah, blah, blah.

Offer the information, but respect the other person's deity belief and religion. And..back off if they tell you they are not interested in learning about your deity and religion. Maybe that just doesn't fit the bill for proselytizers, but if the tables were turned, it is what they would expect from others that were trying to preach a religion different from Christianity to them.

I dare to say that nearly all of the foreign students who come to the USA for education already have a family religion in which they were reared. To continue to try to persuade them to alter that religion in order to take on Christianity is arrogant behavior. Present the basics, offer the Bible if they allow you and move on unless they seek you out for more information about your religion and deity belief.

That's just my two cents worth.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] International Student Outreach In reply to

One would think that most people coming to Praize would be coming for the fellowship of like-believers. But every so often someone comes with the idea that they can proselytize us into whatever their belief is: be it Christian, non-Christian, atheist, or whatever. They don’t realize that Christianity is not a life-style or a fraternity or a way of living, but a matter of the soul. There is a reason why it is called “being born again”. It is not something that once happens can be changed. Once you are truly “born again”, you cannot go back to being unborn. The change is SO complete that it cannot be undone. It is not just a way of thinking or a temporary situation; but a complete brain change that cannot be unchanged.

One day someone is going to find out that there is something in a Christian’s DNA that is not in the DNA of a non-Christian. They are going to find out what it truly means to be part of the “family of God”.

Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
The God gene... In reply to
Hi Sarah.

Well...that is an intriguing thought; DNA difference between Christians and non-Christians.

Remember when there was talk of a "God gene" and I think a Time Magazine cover of the same? Or am I imagining that?

No...shoot! Here is a Wikipedia page on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_gene

And...a bit of an introduction in the beginning:

<<The God gene hypothesis proposes that human spirituality is influenced by heredity and that a specific gene, called vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2), predisposes humans towards spiritual or mystic experiences.[1] The idea has been proposed by geneticist Dean Hamer in the 2004 book called The God Gene: How Faith is Hardwired into our Genes.

The God gene hypothesis is based on a combination of behavioral genetic, neurobiological and psychological studies.[2] The major arguments of the hypothesis are: (1) spirituality can be quantified by psychometric measurements; (2) the underlying tendency to spirituality is partially heritable; (3) part of this heritability can be attributed to the gene VMAT2; (4) this gene acts by altering monoamine levels; and (5) spirituality provides an evolutionary advantage by providing individuals with an innate sense of optimism.>>

Then there are "scientific responses" and "religious responses" in the continuing article. It is a short read, but interesting.

But, this is a sort of generic deity-belief gene, not one that is Christian only.

You write of being "born again" in Christianity:

<<The change is SO complete that it cannot be undone. It is not just a way of thinking or a temporary situation; but a complete brain change that cannot be unchanged.

From what you write, you would understand how I view my lack of deity belief. Once I was truly a non-believer, it became improbable that I should ever believe in any deity again. Not impossible, but very highly improbable.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] The God gene... In reply to
jeanne: and Sarah: Hi

<<The change is SO complete that it cannot be undone. It is not just a way of thinking or a temporary situation; but a complete brain change that cannot be unchanged. >>

I can understand what you meant by this statement Sarah, and I agree with it to considerable extent, but with some reservations.

If we are to apply scripture principles to your statement we will need to substitute the word 'mind' for the word brain. According to St Paul it is our 'mind' that changes, (as in a fundamental change of one's mind, to be like minded with Jesus Christ), thus Paul can say "We have the mind of Christ'. 1 Cor. 2:16.

We could never have the brain of Christ because his brain is/was unique only to him. Brain transplants have yet to be successfully accomplished.

The other thing is that we must 'persevere' in the faith until the final goal is reached and the race finally finished, to obtain the salvation that is ours. 1 Cor. 9:24, Gal. 5:7, Heb. 12:1+. Rev. 3:10.

When one 'changes one's mind', it is perfectly possible to 'change one's mind' again. It is for that reason we appeal to The Holy Spirit to keep us in the faith, which is our salvation.

OSAS or once saved always saved, is no guarantee of salvation, OSAS is unscriptural nonsense, Matt. 13:20-21. It certainly does not apply if one insists on becoming 'like a dog returning to eat its own vomit'. 2 Pet. 2:21-22.

Having said that though, Jesus Christ is not one to carelessly lose his sheep. They would need to be excessively wayward to escape his care and attention no matter how far they may wander from the narrow way. Their return journey to the fold may be undignified though, for a sheep.

The genetic argument applies only to a possible predisposition to 'being religious' or having what might be described as 'religious or spiritual experiences'. It is limited to the physical body and has nothing whatever to do with being 'Born of the Spirit', which is a supernatural experience, (from above, in the sense of being a 'vitality or life' bestowed by a higher power than that which governs mortal flesh and blood).

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 26, 2018, 4:31 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [rdrcofe] The God gene... In reply to
EXCELLENT -----CHRIS---PTL
Quote Reply
Re: [m7thprophet] The God gene... In reply to
I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO GET A RESPONSE BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE EVERYDAY THAT PASSES A LITTLE MORE HAPPENS TO FURTHER CONVINCE ME OF HEAVEN,THE REALITY OF JESUS AND THERE ARE MORE THAN 6 MILLION JUST LIKE ME AND THAT NUMBER IS GROWING DAILY. YOU SEE IT IS BECOMING MORE EVIDENT THAT JESUS IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE ANSWER TO A LOST AND DYING WORLD THAT IS WITHOUT HIM

I HAVE MENTIONED ALREADY IN PRIOR WRITING A SIX VOLUME SET I HAVE ON THE CURRENT REVIVAL THAT THE SPIRIT OF GOD IS BRINGING TO THE WORLD. THOUSANDS ARE BEING BROUGHT TO THE LORD DAILY AND YES THERE IS ROOM FOR YOU. THERE IS AN OUTBREAK OF INFLUENZA THAT RIVALS ANYTHING IN HISTORY. IN FLORIDA THIS WEEK NUMEROUS ACCOUNTS OF CHILDREN BELOW THE AGE OF 12 CONTRACTING THE AND DYING WITHIN THREE DAYS. TO THOSE OVER 50 IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT BECAUSE OF BREATHING DIFFICULTY HEART ATTACKS ARE A CONSISTENT PROBLEM.

YOU KNOW SOMETHING JUST IN FLORIDA AND IT IS IN THE REST OF THE COUNTRY, BECAUSE OF THE NUMBERS OF THE CONTAGION WE ARE CAN'T MANUFACTURE THE ONLY KNOWN SERUM THAT IS A CURATIVE FAST ENOUGH.
A SECRET PRAYER GROUPS AROUND THE COUNTRY ARE REACHING THE THRONE ROOM OF GOD AND CHANGES ARE HAPPENING."HHEALING" NO MATTER WHAT YOU MIGHT SAY OR DENY YOU CHANGE THE FACT THAT JESUS IS REAL AND ANSWERS PRAYER!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Hi Jim.

I don't care what you write, my friend. I am just so happy to "see" you. Smile

Please accept my warmest hugs and good wishes.

Love you.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Now::

This flu does not rival anything in history by a long shot.

The loss of child life is on track with such flu deaths from as recently as 2014-2015 flu outbreak.

Hospitalizations are up because this one goes straight to the lungs even without any typical flu symptoms, such as, aching body and joints, intestinal troubles, etc.

I had this beginning on Christmas Day starting at 5 pm with a dry cough that went to my lungs by 9pm. I had trouble breathing, a low-grade fever and extreme fatigue and no appetite and went to the ER Wednesday morning because I thought I had pneumonia. X-rays showed no pneumonia, but a nasal swab proved it was this flu.

It took an inhaler, two courses of antibiotic 250 mg and then 500 mg, Theraflu, a step-down steroid, codeine cough syrup, OTC meds and a nasal steroid plus 3 weeks of rest and uselessness and one week to regain most of my strength and stamina.

THAT is the curative and it is available to any who go to their doctor or clinic or ER. Those who ignore their symptoms and let things get worse and worse, end up spending time in the hospital and often near death. Those are the facts.

Flu kills thousands in this country every single year. The elderly, the very young, people with other lung conditions or weakened immune systems are most likely to die.

This year is nothing new, but different from last year. Unfortunately, this strain was not included in the 10 strains that comprised the flu shot, which I get every year.

Linking this to something apocalyptic does not make sense when one considers that flu season routinely offers up something similar every other year or so.

Thank goodness for modern medicine and antibiotics. Before that the world really had influenza disasters.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
jeanne: Hi

It took an inhaler, two courses of antibiotic 250 mg and then 500 mg

We are told by NHS that antibiotics are no use against flu because it is a virus not a bacteria. All antibiotics do is increase the possibility of resistant super bacteria, which can then thrive in the bacteria free environment caused by the antibiotics. The best way to combat flu is either pre-vaccination with a recently targeted anti-flu jab or bed rest with plenty of liquid intake, light meals and standard decongestant or expectorant medication.

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 27, 2018, 12:11 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Chris.

I just got back on because I had forgotten to include that it is the secondary infections of bronchitis or pneumonia that the antibiotics are given for. It is those that end up putting you in the hospital or kill you.

I had included that fact in my other two topics that I posted on this flu, but had forgotten it here.

I knew you would pick up on that. Laugh

Healthy people usually can get by with the regimen for just the flu, but the other stuff sets in quickly with this bug. I was already treating myself with your suggested regimen, when Tuesday night I could not lie down to sleep, had trouble breathing and sat up all night in my father's lift chair. I almost got my daughter to take me to the ER later that night, but managed to wait till morning.

I suspect that I had a weakened immune system from a bout two days before of cramping and vomiting on the last day of our cruise and thus contracted it the next day at port. Luckily, my family were all sound enough to not get this "very contagious" strain of flu.

You are correct about the antibiotics, but when you begin to feel a bit better and then suddenly worsen or spike a fever, as I did, you get yourself to the ER or Clinic or PCP...because you most likely have a secondary infection.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
jeanne: Hi

You are correct about the antibiotics, but when you begin to feel a bit better and then suddenly worsen or spike a fever, as I did, you get yourself to the ER or Clinic or PCP...because you most likely have a secondary infection.

You were wise to get yourself to ER or (I assume A&E), as we call it over here.

I had wondered if that was what might have been the reason antibiotics were advised. I had also surmised that a case of food poisoning is not unlikely on a cruise and virus infections are easily transmitted in such a confined environment.

You are right also about this virus not being as deadly as some previous ones. There were cases back in 1918-19 where whole communities were wiped out by influenza epidemics. In fact more people died of flu shortly after WW1 than died as a result of warfare, throughout the entire war.

Last night I watched a PBA, BBC TV program on the probable cause of the Black Death, previously thought to have been bubonic plague but now thought to have been some kind of virus similar to ebola, transmitted by direct human contact, even by respiration. No other means of transmission, (rats, fleas) etc. could account for the astonishing speed of the spread of the disease, linked with an astonishing 3.5 week incubation time in which the victims can spread infection to others before showing any symptoms themselves. Though rat fleas and human fleas could certainly have had some effect, there is no evidence of large numbers of rats either living or dying in many of the rural places the Black Death hit the hardest and there is recorded evidence of infection spreading by proximity, neighbours infecting neighbours sequencially.

The program finished with the less than encouraging comment, that it all easily can happen again, since we don't exactly know what caused the successive outbreaks of Black Death and a pathogen has never been specifically isolated as the definitive cause.

Beware the Pale Horse. Rev.6:8.

Regards Chris.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 28, 2018, 4:16 AM
Quote Reply
Chris, I think that influenza is mostly spread via respiration, despite the fact that docs and others are always on us about washing our hands a lot during flu season.

This particular strain H3N2CQ has so many cases of rapid secondary lung infection ...three days in... that doctors are sending patients with a script for antibiotics when they come in for breathing troubles and flu symptoms.

I found out that I was contagious for a day before I showed any symptoms, but taking Tamiflu, which is a prescription, lessens the contagion factor and so helps protect others. My PCP was incensed that the ER doc did not prescribe it for me, because although it acts better when taken upon first symptoms, there is benefit to both the patient's condition and the contagion factor even when taken later. It really should be and OTC drug.

I don't think it was food poisoning, as I had cramping for a day before the evening I was so sick all night. Food poisoning usually strikes hard and fast. Who knows? I have some mild Irritable Bowel Syndrome and that was more likely the culprit.

Well...this has moved way off topic. So sorry Craig and Sarah.

I just hope readers in flu territory might take cautionary concerns to heart and not wait to seek treatment.

The respiration theory of the plague actually sounds more reasonable, but if there is one thing that a virus is, it is adaptable.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
JEANNE

I THINK YOU MISREAD SOME OF THE NEWS LINES ON THIS FLU. IT IS THE FIRST OF IT'S KIND BRING DEATH WITHIN TWO DAAYS OF DIAGNOSIS. THIS HAS BEEN REPEATED SEVERAL TIMES.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH THE SERUM ---TAMIFLU IT IS JUST THAT THERE IS NOTHING ELSE IS THIS CATEGORY THAT CAN HALT THE SPREAD IN THE BODY'
TO SAY THIS NOT AN APOCALYPTIC EVENT REALLY IS MISLEADING THE READERS BECAUSE THE MAKEUP OF THE INFECTION BUT THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE IT AFFECTS AND WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT. READ THE SCRIPTURE AND SEE WHAT THESE PESTILENCES AND DISEASE ARE THAT ARE REFERRED TO.

Quote Reply

Hi, Jeanne, my take on the flu and its virus is a little different than those of most of you. At 81 years of age I have never had the flu. Nor has my husband. Why? Because we have never had a flu vaccine. We don’t believe in putting illness into our bodies. Which is basically what it amounts to. Just think about it!

Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] The God gene... In reply to
sarah: Hi.

At 81 years of age I have never had the flu.

That is likely because to catch flu you need to have regular close contact with other people who have the flu. No contact with infection = no flu.

Thinking that vaccination causes disease would be like thinking exercise make you weaker. It does at first but your body then compensates by building muscles making you stronger. Vaccination has ironically probably benefited you and your husband, even though you have aversion to it. large scale vaccination against smallpox has effectively ensured that you have not come into contact with infected smallpox carriers. Likewise Polio. So you should still be grateful that others have resistance to some diseases, because that has indirectly protected you and your husband through the general decrease in possibly infectious contacts.

If you live in a fairly isolated rural environment, contact with infected people would be less likely than when living in a densely populated city but on the rare occasion when you do make contact, your chances of going down with something terminal are slightly increased because your immune system would be unprepared and lack the necessary antibodies to deal with the invading pathogens.

Of course you could put it all down to faith, prayer or God's will, but that was found to be a poor guide to survival or recovery for at least half the local population during the Black Death, Bubonic Plague or Ebola.

I think that if everyone followed your example it would greatly increase the possibility of global epidemics, not reduce it.

Regards Chris.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 29, 2018, 1:39 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Jim.

Tamiflu information here:

http://www.center4research.org/tamiflu-not-tamiflu/

And a bit from the article:

<<Is Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) Effective for Treating the Flu?
Tamiflu is a prescription antiviral medication used for treatment of the flu and to prevent catching the flu if you have been near someone sick. It has been heavily advertised, but there is lots of controversy over whether or not it is actually effective.

On average patients who start taking Tamiflu within 48 hours of getting sick will recover one day faster than patients who do not take anything. Roche, the makers of Tamiflu, claim that Tamiflu also reduces the number of patients who have serious complications from the flu, such as pneumonia (by 44%) or hospitalization (by 63%).[3] However, the Tamiflu only worked in patients who had tested positive for the flu on a laboratory test, not patients with flu-like symptoms who subsequently were found to not have the flu. Other researchers examined the same study data and concluded that Tamiflu does not reduce hospitalizations or other complications when analyzing all people who went to the doctor because of flu-like symptoms.[4] This means that if your doctor prescribes Tamiflu without giving you a flu test, it is less likely to help you get better. That’s because many patients who think they have the flu have a cold instead, and they will not benefit from Tamiflu.

Similarly, when Tamiflu was used to prevent the flu in people exposed to confirmed cases of flu, it was able to reduce their likelihood of getting sick by as much as 55%.

Tamiflu has been approved for use in adults, infants as young as 2 weeks, children, and pregnant women. Tamiflu does not work as well in patients that are over 65.>>

You write:

<<TO SAY THIS NOT AN APOCALYPTIC EVENT REALLY IS MISLEADING THE READERS BECAUSE THE MAKEUP OF THE INFECTION BUT THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE IT AFFECTS AND WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT. READ THE SCRIPTURE AND SEE WHAT THESE PESTILENCES AND DISEASE ARE THAT ARE REFERRED TO. >>

How is this year any different from other flu/disease events throughout history? I think you are misleading readers when you imply that this year something more is happening than just a regular flu season.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Hi Sarah.

I am assuming you were vaccinated for smallpox and polio when you were a child and perhaps you also got vaccinated for other terrible diseases, such as, whooping cough (Pertussis), tetanus, and Diphtheria and measles as a child or perhaps as a young teen. Maybe not. I am also going to assume that you had your children vaccinated and that your grands are vaccinated, as well. Maybe not.

If not, then Chris is right; you owe the rest of us who did a big thank you. It is only because most everyone else gets vaccinations that people who refuse to get them for themselves and their children can do so.

I have gotten a flu vaccine nearly every year as long as they have been offering them. This is the first time I have gotten the flu since longer than I can remember...maybe 30 years ago. I remember something knocking me down for days and that was probably the flu.

I don't go off the farm much, so I also rarely get sick.

Somehow I contracted Mononucleosis when I was 50 years old! Go figure that one.

I believe in protecting myself whenever I can. So...I got my pneumonia, shingles and TDaP vaccinations and a flu vaccination every year.

You are thinking about this the wrong way. But..I think Chris covered the role of immunizations and how vaccines work to protect the body.

Are you anti-vaccine for all vaccines or just the flu shot?

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
JEANNE
I DON'T WANT THIS REPLY TO BE TAKEN THE WRONG WAY BUT IN YOUR EFFORT TO PUT DOWN ANY THING THAT DISAGREES WITH YOU HAVE USED CIRCULAR ARGUMENTS TO UPHOLD WHAT YOU SAY. THIS RADICAL FORM OF OUT BREAK IS NOT NEW AND THE ARGUMENT THAT THAT FLU INFLUENZA HAVE BEEN A REPEATED EVENT BUT THE OUTBREAKS IN HISTORY WERE WORSENED BY NO EFFECTIVE TREATMENT .

TAKE A SIMPLE VIRUS/BACTERIA LIKE THIS AND HAVE IT MUTATE CAUSING THE CURRENT TREATMENT TO BE SOMEWHAT LESS POTENT AND YOU HAVE AN EPIDEMIC. IN THE MID 40'S PNUEMONIA BECAME AN EPIDEMIC OUTBREAK AND I CAUGHT DOUBLE BRONCHIAL PNUEMONIA AND IT WENT ON FOR MORE THAN 6 MONTHS. THEY HAD PRAYER AFTER PRAYER GROUP IN AND THEY PRAYED THE SHINGLES OFF THE WALL.IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS I GREW NEAR DEATH
YOU SEE THEY HAD BEEN TURNING THE THERMOSTAT HIGHER EVERYDAY TILL YOU COULD ALMOST COOK DINNER IN THE LIVING ROOM.

YOU SEE THE VIRUSES INCUBATE IN THE WARM AIR / THE COLD KILLS THEM.
THEY IN EFFECT WERE LIKE SANCHO PANZA CHASING WINDMILLS; ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS TURN DOWN THE HEAT AND TURN UP THE PRAYER
Quote Reply
If you live in a fairly isolated rural environment, contact with infected people would be less likely than when living in a densely populated city but on the rare occasion when you do make contact, your chances of going down with something terminal are slightly increased because your immune system would be unprepared and lack the necessary antibodies to deal with the invading pathogens.

Think what you may, Chris... according to Google, two years ago Phoenix was the sixth largest city in the USA. Probably larger now. I go to church every Sunday and sit in a group of over one hundred people. Wednesday night meeting has approximately two hundred. So I don't think our lack of disease is due to not being around people! Oh... and don't forget movies and the grocery store!

Probably somewhere in there you can find a reason why I have never had a speeding ticket nor had an accident. Oh well. Think what you will, and I will also! While you are thinking, I will be thanking God for taking such good care of me and answering my prayers.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
So then, Jim, if anything the viruses should be worse in Phoenix, especially THS year because the temperatures have been SO warm here!

I'm sorry, I just cannot get behind Chris's and Jeanne's reasonings of why I don't catch the flu!!!
Now if they wanted to know how I pray... that would be a different situation!
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Sarah: Hi

Think what you may, Chris..

I did say "If you you live in a fairly isolated . . . . I made no assumptions. I expected you would let me know if you lived in a city.

Perhaps you are just in particularly robust physical health with a well functioning immune system. Some people are. There again why not attribute it to prayer and faith? Who knows?

Regards Chris.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 29, 2018, 3:51 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Jim.

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you are tying to explain to me about my reasoning or influenza outbreaks.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
THE FROGS ARE COMING! THE FROGS ARE COMING! And the pan is on the stove!

Jim's first book was called "Frogs in a Pan". I believe it was his best book, although not written according to writers' rules.

Blessings ~ Sarah