The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

True Missionaries

Quote Reply
True Missionaries
True Missionaries

How many true missionaries are really on the field? By true missionaries I am talking about those who are on the field as a result of a true calling from God. I know of a missionary who I truly believe was, and still is, called by God for missions. He once told me based on what he witnessed in other missionaries, that many are just on paid vacations (at supporting saints expense) in a foreign land.

I personally know of a missionary who claims that he was called by God to the field, yet the first couple of years his wife didnít want to go. Once when they came back to the states the wife came first while the husband took care of a few issues in the country they were in. My wife and I, picked up this lady from the airport and on the way home she told us she hoped they would be staying in the U.S. and that she did not want to go back. If a manís wife does not want to be on the field, how can it be Godís will for them to go?

I know of a missionary who is presently on the field who claims Godís calling. Before going to the field he was an elder in a small meeting in my area. This man was in many heated conflicts with a lot of different saints in my area. He claims that he was called by God to the field, yet it didnít take long for him to get into heated conflicts with other missionaries in the country he went to, causing much trouble as a result.

How does one know that a person claiming they are called by God to the field is really called?

How should missionaries conduct themselves on the field?

How should missionaries be held accountable for unrighteous conduct?

Should a couple be on the field when it is plain that the wife does not have the same calling as the husband?

Steve Barton

Quote Reply
Re: True Missionaries In reply to
This is a topic that concerns me too. I have a great love for missions and extreme respect for real missionaries. When I was a child, my role models were missionaries rather than t.v. or sports heros. However, when I grew up and started encountering real missionaries, I realized how disillusioned I had been by what missionaries are. I live in Japan and see many missionaries and I have missionaries friends in other countries and I have to agree with your friend that many missionaries are on a paid holiday. They live in better houses than the regular people, many don't even bother to learn the language, most will not go into the unevangelized places because it forces them out of their comfort zone of being in an international setting of big cities. Although one missionary couple in China are my friends, the couple had 2 maids and a nanny and they lived in an exclusive apartment while their ministry was to a tribal group that barely had enough to eat. This couple loved "the paradise" of where they were living and were living it up going to parties and even committing adultry. Eventually their sins found them out after about 10 years of this and they were finally dismissed when they announced they wanted a divorce. The woman is still tied with the missionary organization. In a church where I visit from time to time, there are FOUR missionary pastors there and basically the whole church is just the missionary families. The people are Christians but the sending agency evidently just sends these missionaries with no training or direction so they get here and do not know what to do. For example, the newest missionaries came at the beginning of December. They were told to start a college ministry. They did not know what to do so they were thinking about it once they got here. Finally in MAY they decided to start free English classes. Not English evangelism classes just secular English classes in homes that maybe someone would "see God in us and ask". It is now September and they have started the classes but no one is asking. If they knew the Japanese, they would know that is not a question the Japanese ask. I also met a Filipino missionary here. I was so excited to meet her until we got to talking about her mission. She told me she believes all gods lead to the same god so she will pressure anyone to turn to Christianity. I wanted to know why she was here then since Japan has 1000s of gods, but she said she just wants to help people in their walk with whatever god they choose. She was with a Christian missionary agency though. I have other stories of disappointment but I also have stories of encouragement too like a missionary from Peru who came here with only $50 to his name. His only purpose in coming here was to tell people about God. He lives a simple but Christ centered life as he is truly making an impact on the people around him. There is another missionary couple that are truly here to serve God. They definitely are not here for a paid vacation. They don't have the luxuries as other missionaries do because they pour so much of what they have into their ministry whereas other missionaries pocket their money, travel and go to fine restaurants. I know of one missionary couple that traveled all over the world for the fun of it and complained when people expected them to speak without paying them a large sum of money. How do you tell the difference between the good and bad? I think you really have to see them and their work to know. I know one missionary from Korea that did not even know from looking what the Korean language was. HOW could that be unless he just lived secluded in the English speaking community! There are true missionaries out there but I think they are like Christians in general there are more false ones than real ones.
Quote Reply
hi, brothers and sisiters i am Peter John from Pakistan i am starting a project of helping poverty suffering Christians in Multan (a city of Pakistan) I hope you brothers and sisters will help me in this pious deed.
Quote Reply

My opinion is that about one in ten of today's missionaries are truly called. The number is certainly less than half of the total number of American and European missionaries. A clear minority of today's missionaries enter with the devotion and willingness to sacrifice that evince a true calling.

The sad thing is that many mission agencies are retooling to accomodate these half-committed people. Very much of the money given for missions today goes to cushion and support the missionaries, not to reach new people with the gospel.

You may know of the missionaries of the 18th and 19th centuries who packed their goods in a coffin when they went out to their field, because they entered missions fully expecting to die and be buried in that coffin.

I think no one at all has that level of commitment anymore, and a small fraction have any willingness to sacrifice.

Good question.

Quote Reply
a true missionary i can think of is sister teresa. though she's already gone to be with the Lord. yet everyone heard of her and not only that, also what she has done. i think a true missionary is one who will leave a legacy of christlikeness.
Quote Reply
I am saddened as I read through some of the posts on this forum of the terrible way that many missionaries have displayed themselves and their Lord to the various peoples whom they are serving.

Unfortunatley this problem is not just among missionaries, but among all who take the name of Christ. I agree that we need to send "our best" to the field, but if "the best" turns out to be the worst, what is the rest of the Body like?

How we need to repent as a nation (America), wholly, and allow the Lord to manifest his lifechanging power through us. Only then will we be able to represent our King to this world.
Quote Reply
Actually, I don't think this new breed of missionaries that are being sent out are necessarily "the best". In some cases, it may be all a mission board may have. They may not have much choice so they take what they've got. In other cases, there are people being called but they prefer the comforts of home and seek to fullfill that calling in home missions rather than their calling to foreign missions. In other cases from what I see most, it is either a solid career choice for a family rather than a vocation to serve no matter what the cost or it is a free vacation and adventure for young single people. However, I suppose this should not surprise us as much as it does because the Christian world is filled with people who are "in it" for greater reasons than Christ alone. The real true missionaries I have been honored to meet, have really left everything to serve Christ. The ones that were not real, made sure they had a very comfortable salary and living package before they left. The real ones give their all, day in and day out with true joy and without any desire to be compensated. The others treat it as a 9 to 5 job, complain, make little effort to learn the native language unless it is for their own benefit not for communicating the gospel, and they show little or no fruit for their mediocre efforts. There are true missionaries out there, but they are unfortunately out numbered by the fakes from what I have seen. I think if someone finds a real missionary, they would be making a good contribution to the kingdom of God if they supported that missionary. Perhaps a good thing for us to do would be to list some of the excellent missionaries we have encountered so others would know who is worth supporting.
Quote Reply
well i think any devoted christian can be a missionary,as for me i hav done or been to two missionary projects,one witnessing to college students and the other to seaferes at the coast.

i think thats what the great commandments is all about, "GO" and Baptize and lol im with u always.

the calling is trully from Jesus,but dont forget that we live in this world and we happen to be tempted always,missionary life is not easy esp. if one is not fillled with the spirit and is obidient and does what God wants them to do 24/7.

i guess we really need to hear more from ppl who been to remote places of this world and witness the actions.

thnk u for bringing up this topic.

blessings be multipled unto you.
Quote Reply
You might be interested in seeing my post in another thread. It is a little long, but seems to touch on some of the issues that we are talking about here: http://www.praize.com/cgi[...]120820&

All of us have been given the commandment to GO. The question is, have you been told to STAY?