The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Post deleted by standingfirm

Post deleted by standingfirm

Last edited by:

praizeop2: Dec 31, 2011, 9:06 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [standingfirm] Question re Bible Study Software In reply to
Biblegateway.com has numerous versions/translations/paraphrases plus the Intervarsity Press New Testament commentary and the Matthew Henry whole Bible commentary.
Quote Reply
I was browsing this morning and came across this: http://www.praize.com/...%3F_P115395/#p115395

Don't know if it interests you or not, but thought I would mention it.
God bless - Sarah
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Having Bible program resources on my IPhone and IPAD sure made a difference for me the past month sitting up in hospital rooms day and night for clients.
Some of our elderly patients had no contact whatsoever from family members, even around Thanksgiving through Christmas, so there's a lot of depression that seems to lead directly to serious health problems. Fortunately the hospital provides Wi-Fi all hours, so I had some of what's on my home PC. Having access to the online audio Bible like at http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html eased everyone in the room, nobody objecting.

Of course there's a huge amount of study resource online, but the question is about the software we use. I had a Dell pocket pc for years when traveling a lot, but it's now on the bottom of a lake, along with unrecoverable software I cherished, all purchased without backup CDs. I won't go that route again, choosing to mainly use the IPhone when not at the desktop, the IPad for preaching & teaching. I'm having great difficulty matching my fingers to the tiny keys on both, too accustomed to a standard keyboard, so I don't type more than necessary. Both have many Bibles loaded up, but the main Bible software is a 99 cent "Bible Reader" from OliveTree.com which is supporting Apple devices with a large variety of software. While inexpensive, the free Bibles available online don't yet cater to Apple. I have about 2 months experience so far, catching on and really liking it. So far I've purchased 4 of the well known commentaries I have on the PC, maps, dictionaries, Greek aids, etc besides all the free study resources they offer, including classic study books.

The home PC has too many software programs to list. Many are free, a favorite the E-Sword Bible from http://www.e-sword.net/index.ht Some free modules are offered, but most of the really valuable resources come with a reasonable price from their store at
http://estudysource.com/...ry/commentaries.aspx

That site sells resources for all groups of Christians, now offering an impressive lineup for Catholics. Understand that some products might contain teachings that are foreign to what you hold to. I research every software title, look into author backgrounds, look over samples if available before purchasing or even taking a free download. However, I study across multiple church doctrines because I preach and/or teach Bible to a mixed denominational congregation, also to several small denominational churches from pentecostal to So. Baptist, as well as my own home church. It helps to be aware of at least the fundamental doctrines, though I usually stick to preaching Christ, the blood, cross and resurrection.

Now I'll say this about software resources. I've found all of them to be valuable study resources. I have far more available not than I can possibly use, focusing on the above items almost exclusively due to being away from home so much. I've spent a lot of money over the years buying programs. I don't recommend doing that. Find some ministries to support, settle on a few Bible/commentary bundles in mobile form if you are out and about a lot. If your eyesight is limited avoid going the small screen IPhone route.

Bottom line is to read a Bible daily, as much as you can as often as you can. There's no better study resource than a Bible, on paper or on screen. Commentaries are great tools, but be careful not to let them replace the pure Word of God. They are usually written by people with decades of scholarship behind them, well respected authors among most church groups. There are also Bible study guides that I have learned much from, such as Willmington's Bible Guide and his Handbook, though neither is apparently available as Apple software. I'm watching for either to become available.

If you decide to attend a Bible college they will probably require purchase of software programs for various courses, which are excellent resources assembled by professors and the authors of their sources, a bit pricy though. One set cost new $2,200 for AOG pastors, though I bought one used for $300. I need to try updating it to get the Bible Lands satellite mapping and latest archaeology info modules, which are probably worth whatever it costs. I don't quote from them online because of the many copyright warnings (nothing allowed online), but all have served to multiply my education, none of them fully explored by me. It would take another lifetime to study it all.

Good topic!
·...¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>
Be fishers of men.....DG

Last edited by:

dovegiven: Jan 6, 2012, 8:22 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [dovegiven] Question re Bible Study Software In reply to
this is very nice post fantastic. https://www.hiretablets.ae/pa-systems