The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Another fine Christmas, Birthday and New Year mess I have gotten into...

Quote Reply
Another fine Christmas, Birthday and New Year mess I have gotten into...
Pay no attention to the woman on cold meds...

My vision has either gotten worse recently or it is all the cold meds and Tylenol that I have taken since Christmas. Guess I will have to make an appointment..but need to any way whether or not my vision returns. It is that medium range vision, so I am holding my head up and looking through my reading part of the glasses.

I ended up in the ER early Wednesday morning after having sat up in my father's old lift chair (so glad I have it) all night because when I laid down to sleep, my lungs whistled, crackled and wheezed and I had trouble breathing. Thought I just had a dry cough that quickly went to my chest accompanied by a low grade fever…but no…I have “Acute” (mind you) Acute Viral Influenza Type A, as diagnosed by “Jim Henson” which is sort of weird, but hey, when you look like him you just gotta wear your hair like him with the sort of barred silver/black thing he had going on towards the end of his life.

Anyway, I made the mistake …which we elderly women sometimes do…of saying “I have the flu?!” and was reminded that I have “Acute” Viral Influenza Type A…Acute”. As opposed to Chronic Flu, which I suppose would eventually kill me.

I just wanted to make sure that I didn’t have pneumonia or bronchitis brewing in my lungs, since I had no other symptoms except being fatigued, low grade fever and difficulty breathing when I laid down with a cough that didn’t produce much. Made sense to me to go to the ER…efficiency and all that.

Influenza is a respiratory viral infection I was told by Jim Henson and…yeah but, usually you feel something else too. I asked him what I could do about the wheezing, whistling, crackling and difficulty breathing when I laid down and he said, “You have whistling?” My lungs sounded clear, but of course I was sitting up. Jim suggested that I go for a walk outside in the cold air before bedtime to make me cough. It was 17 degrees when I left home that morning and warmed up to 24 later in the day. I said that I went out to take the goats some water yesterday and the cold air hurt my lungs so badly I didn’t think I could get back inside. He then thought a hot shower and a hot cup of tea would do the trick. I thought “one of these things is not like the other.” But I was mixing TV shows…no still Jim Henson, so all good there.

Which direction to follow? What would mothers worldwide suggest? Okay, no walk in the frigid air for me.

I had told everyone several times that I was scared last night because so many in our area have started with a chest cold and ended with up in the hospital for days with bronchitis or pneumonia. The women I saw in the ER seemed to think it was a sensible thing to do…go get checked out, that is. Jim seemed to be perturbed that I had wasted his time and resources…just a little attitude there.

Anyway, besides the conflicting directions, he ended up giving me an inhaler to help with the wheezing, but I didn’t know about that until I checked out. Just continue the cold meds and Tylenol he said. X-ray showed no pneumonia but swab showed “Acute” Viral Influenza Type A…Acute”…okie-dokie, Jimmy.

What was the point of such determined distinction that is was acute? Who knows…

Anyway, I still feel like... "unnh"... and I have no appetite, but of course will probably gain weight. So far, nobody else has any symptoms. Apparently, you are contagious one day before symptoms appear and 7 days after they appear. Thanks, Mother Nature. Fortunately, we are not getting chickens back until Jan. 9th, so Virgil has just been working along on the chicken houses. The cold air still wrecks me and although I have periods where I feel less "unnh", I get waves of fatigue and hacking, so I am just puttering about the house doing what I can. Haven’t even felt like reading. I just sit in the chair and stare at whatever.

Hope everybody is doing better than this, which isn't really terrible. I mean, I have a warm house and a flexible job and people who love me and a husband who will eat anything. Love his heart. I will not say that it is better than killing and butchering hogs or making sausage and scrapple and wrapping fresh hog meat on my birthday. Nope... that is fun in frigid weather...unless you feel like I feel currently.

Happy New Year!

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Another fine Christmas, Birthday and New Year mess I have gotten into... In reply to
Ummmm..... you might try prayer!
Prayer often works when nothing else does.
OR you can continue on with what you are doing, hoping that one day the symptoms will just go away. They might!
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] Another fine Christmas, Birthday and New Year mess I have gotten into... In reply to
Hi Sarah.

I have the flu.

Symptoms will continue for about two weeks and gradually get better. I am making an appointment with my PCP this week to have her check my lungs out. I thought I would be feeling a bit better by now and am wondering if I might have a secondary infection, such as bronchitis, that would respond to antibiotics.

At least I don't have ALL the symptoms of Influenza, which is good, but is also one reason why I was initially concerned about my breathing abilities. This just didn't seem like the flu.

Thanks, Sarah. I will gradually get better. My ER experience was just interesting and I thought I would share. Gotta be good for something...

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Another fine Christmas, Birthday and New Year mess I have gotten into... In reply to
Jeanne: Hi

Sorry to read that you are down with flu. The irony is the stupid conflicting advice to 'drink plenty of liquids', AND 'get plenty of bed rest'. How in the name of Mike is it possible to combine BOTH of those pieces of advice simultaneously? The more liquids I drink the less bed rest I am able to get.

The most uncomfortable experience I can recall was after my first hip resurfacing operation. I awoke from anesthetic with a good deal of pain and quite thirsty. After a couple of hours of 'drinking plenty of liquids', I discovered I could not relieve myself while laying down in bed. Try as I might I just couldn't let go. Against orders I had to stand upright to use the cardboard bed bottle and got caught in the act by the ward sister. Oh my, what a relief though.

Hope you make a steady recovery. Try to get plenty of rest but also some light exercise to help clear the lungs. Hot toddy before bed time is good as well. (1 lemon juiced, two teaspoons of honey, 2 Gills boiled lemonade, 1/2 Gill of Rum or Brandy). It might not cure your flu but it makes it almost worthwhile being ill.

Regards Chris.
Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 2, 2018, 3:14 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [rdrcofe] Another fine Christmas, Birthday and New Year mess I have gotten into... In reply to
Hi Chris.

LaughLaugh

Indeed.

I am recovering slowly. Never do go down completely when I am sick, so get enough exercise. Hot toddies have always made me sick to my stomach. But I do like lemon-ginger tea and have been drinking and drinking.

I heard on the news that the UK is experiencing an over abundance of winter illnesses and flu and that it has forced the health services to cancel planned operations in order to accommodate people in the hospitals. Wow! That is hard to fathom. Hope this time moves on for you all.

Stay well.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Jeanne: Hi

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I heard on the news that the UK is experiencing an over abundance of winter illnesses and flu and that it has forced the health services to cancel planned operations in order to accommodate people in the hospitals. Wow! That is hard to fathom. Hope this time moves on for you all.

There are some of us over here that cynically surmise that the problems are caused as a direct result of Tory under funding and cuts, aimed at preparing to 'privatize' the NHS for party doctrinaire reasons.

Such conspiracy theories are roundly dismissed by the Tories, as one might expect.

They subscribe to the Alice in Wonderland principle that if you deny a thing enough times it actually becomes false.

Regards Chris.
Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 4, 2018, 5:44 AM
Quote Reply
Hello Jeanne,
My prayers are with you. Also, Happy New Year! I pray that it gets better for you than it has started out.
Allen
Quote Reply
Re: [ASCombs2662] Another fine Christmas, Birthday and New Year mess I have gotten into... In reply to
Thanks Allen. The ending and the beginning have been rather rough. We have a blizzard here today and my doctor's appointment was cancelled. Hoping to get to see her tomorrow.

I haven't been down like this for a long time. Not used to this.

-Jeanne