The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Video Violence

Quote Reply
Video Violence
Sarah mentioned that most of the people who play video games and watch movies are in forums; so I've decided to post here as well. I visit Praize intermittently so I may not get to all of your comments. However feel free to post any insights you may have.

Video Violence
Recently I saw one of the sequels to the first Iron Man film. I knew that it was not likely to have the same level of humanity and compassion the first movie had. But I was surprised how far it had fallen. The special effects were still amazing but the film was exceptionaly dark spitritually. To me it felt like "it was all about the violence". And I remembered what Lee Marvin had said about the "Dirty Dozen" in the last years of his life: "the movie was done for the violence". I wonder how many films are done nowadays still just "for the violence". The video game "Grand Theft Auto" (most recent release) made 1 billion dollars in the first week. And whereas the Iron Man film I recently saw had a poisitive scene in it (Tony's dad said in a video memo that "my greatest creation is you"), Grand Theft Auto feels like it's one crime after another. And the interface makes the action so real that it is as if the person is actually commiting the crime. Jesus said that if a man contemplates commiting adultery it's the same as actually commiting the sin. Then by the same reasoning, if a person tries to commit these crimes in a video game they've already sinned in their heart. It may or may not lead them into becoming a criminal but what I'm more worried about is that it will create an indifferent mindset where they will be more likely to vote for a politician with a criminal record and not care when a policeman gets killed, or someone gets beaten up. I think it has the most dangerous impact on someone who has emotional problems and is also angry and feels alienated. They may want to "become" one of those characters in Grand Theft Auto or "Call of Duty" and at that point I don't think they can readily distinguish the difference between becoming famous and infamous. And violence can become a narcotic. That is something the gun lobby is going to have to address. It may well be that we're at a point where law abiding citizens need their guns in some areas of town but we definately don't need more violence in entertainment. Psychologically speaking Gorf was a lot more positive than today's video games because you were killing invading aliens, not people.
And they are going to have to figure out a way to keep guns out of the hands of people who "lose it" and become addicted to violence. Mass murders are almost everyday news now.
Sports video games are almost getting to the quality of these violent video games and it is also good to see the return of Pole Position in Remix (however playing on an ipod is not the same as a console). But what about lifelike marlin fishing and trout fishing and aerial flight games? Or searching for the Titanic and lost treasure under water? Maybe they're just not "cool" enough. One of the most amazing things I've seen is a trout shoot out of the water like a rocket when it is dead quiet at 7am in the morning. Also you could develop auto repair and engineering games.
"For as a man thinks in his heart, so he is" Proverbs 23:7
roundtable
Quote Reply
Re: [roundtable] Video Violence In reply to
Roundtable:

Welcome and hello:

You make some well balanced and well made points.

I wonder how today's video gamesters would react to the possibility that there might not be any war simulation games available during the new millenium, when Christ rules from Jerusalem. Or perhaps the market in them will suddenly crash when it is realized that there are better things to do with your time than play at killing cyber people and committing fantasy cyber crimes.

There seems very little difference between the mentality behind the Roman Colliseum audiences and today's cinema and video game enthusiasts. The Roman's had no technical ways of 'faking it', so had no choice, if they wanted the spectacle, they had to watch people actually die. We know that the cinema is 'faked' and not real, but how long will it be before audiences begin to demand more 'realism' and move off into other more direct and 'real' forms of violent voyeurism? Might this lust to see people violently die be what is behind some of the recent firearms killing sprees that seem so coolly contemplated, rehearsed and carried through by presumably unbalanced individuals who have gotten their hands on too easily available firearms.

And he shall judge among the nations,
and shall rebuke many people:
and they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
and their spears into pruninghooks:
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

'But he will get no end of trouble from the American Gun Lobby'.

I guess that playing war is the same as learning it.

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.
Quote Reply
Re: [rdrcofe] Video Violence In reply to

There seems very little difference between the mentality behind the Roman Colliseum audiences and today's cinema and video game enthusiasts. The Roman's had no technical ways of 'faking it', so had no choice, if they wanted the spectacle, they had to watch people actually die. We know that the cinema is 'faked' and not real, but how long will it be before audiences begin to demand more 'realism' and move off into other more direct and 'real' forms of violent voyeurism? Might this lust to see people violently die be what is behind some of the recent firearms killing sprees that seem so coolly contemplated, rehearsed and carried through by presumably unbalanced individuals who have gotten their hands on too easily available firearms.

OH, Chris, I hadn't even thought of that! So people have always loved violence... well, they are going to get their share of it when all the Christians are raptured (a different topic!) and there is no more Jesus or Holy Spirit to protect them. Anyone looking at the news any day can see how quicklly it is coming.

Jim and I used to go to what he called "girl flicks". He took me because those were the ones I enjoyed. (What a great husband!!!) But we have not been to a movie in quite a while. I haven't heard of any good ones. AND they have become SO expensinve. When I was growing up, you could go for a dime! (Aging myself!) But it is an interesting point... our days of dime movies and Roy Rogers are just about over cuz all of us will be gone even if Jesus DOESN"T come back soon. With us go the memories.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Hello Roundtable, Chris and Sarah.

At the root of the problem is not the NRA or the millions of guns that are legally and responsibly owned by law abiding citizens. Our inner cities are awash with guns that are mostly not legally owned and certainly not owned by responsible and law abiding citizens. Gangs rule and violence ensues. You will rarely find such stuff in rural America, although as our cities grow bigger and the gangs move in...it is happening there in the cities of rural America, especially at crossroads of state areas.

The great disconnect is in parenting, that is, there is no parenting being done. The creation of the Great Society by President Johnson not only created a group of people who received entitlements, but a group of voters who voted Democrat forever more, it seems, and who continued the cry for more and more entitlements. The system worked and people learned to work the system.

The black family began to disintegrate when black fathers began to absent themselves from their family and from their parenting responsibilities. As the decades passed, the inner city died from lack of responsible families, businesses fled and those who could get out to save their families, did so. Public schools became war zones and any innocents were in jeopardy. The easy money of drugs and prostitution swayed young people more than education and the bounty of government money to a single woman who had a child or more is still keeping them and their children in slavery to the state. It all sounded so compassionate, but it poisoned and killed and enslaved, which is just what the Progressives wanted.

The rare mass murders by deranged individuals or Islamist fanatics is nothing compared to the violence done in our cities...day after day, week after week, year after year. It is not unlike the violence and destruction occurring in many Middle Eastern countries.

The NRA and all responsible gun owners are not responsible for the disaster that are our cities' no-go zones. Progressive policies are responsible.

As for violence in movies and video games...well...that is not the NRA's responsibility either. It is the responsibility of the media and the Progressive elite who have for decades been forcing more and more adult-themed stuff to children....because they don't want any censoring and no discriminating and less parental control. Children get adult themes, so adults get......anything one can imagine.

The only things that can be censored currently seems to be smoking and Christianity.

Adults are not present to parent, children are left alone to rear themselves and the media is there to cash in. Then there is the internet....ye gods and little fishes! Can't NOT let them have it, can't NOT let them have the latest cell phone, can't NOT let them do and dress and talk anyway they want! I mean....they have Civil Rights, don't you know?

The media must acknowledge that video games, especially, are driving anti-social behavior of all sorts. I like movies where the good guys kill all the bad guys, but a steady diet of such violence, especially when accompanied by graphic gore, is going to affect the psyche. Same with video games. You can watch and play on occasion and not go stark raving mad with anti-social behavior and/or blood lust. Guess who needs to establish control? Parents. Rear up a child well, establish limits and expectations and when you let them go, they can stand on their own. Not that parenting is ever over...still gotta smack those boys down at times, even when they are in their thirties.

Our President and his wife should come out very strongly against this market for violence and anti-social behavior, against the media and should strongly promote a return to two-parent families. And...I don't care what gender the parents are. Graduate high school with a solid education. Do not have children before you do and get married before having children, as well. Get a job and if you can't afford to have one parent rear the child to school age, then don't have a baby, yet.

Have a baby out of wedlock...well, good luck. It used to be a stigma. Families took care of the mother and child or there was a marriage or an adoption, but adults have babies and adults care for babies....so get your "adult" on, sweetie.

With the extreme loss of two parent families, the morality of our nation has plummeted. Families go to church. Parents set limits when they know the moral leaders in the local church are keeping an eye on the community. People aren't even getting married anymore, let alone living in communities that are tied to religious centers of worship. In fact, until just recently, the birth rate has been declining to the point where we are at 1.8 per couple... No kids, no worries, no limits, no expectations of adulthood...no care about the future.

Mass shootings and gang violence and the deplorable condition of our inner cities are problems with many aspects, the least of which is the weapon of choice. As many, if not more, firearms are held by law abiding citizens who use them responsibly. Most cities have hundreds of gun laws, some completely banning all gun ownership and those laws are obeyed by law abiding citizens to their own detriment, as this means they are easy prey for the criminally minded, who do not obey any laws.

We must not throw up our hands and admit defeat. All moral people who care about their country must work to reintroduce personal responsibility under the rule of law. In the USA that law is set by our Constitution and Bill of Rights and governed by a Representative Republic. We cannot be a self- ruling people without morals. We cannot be a free people without the ability to defend ourselves against tyranny in any form.

Okay...I have run out of free time. Smile Thanks for the most excellent topic Roundtable.
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Video Violence In reply to
Jeanne:

Our inner cities are awash with guns that are mostly not legally owned and certainly not owned by responsible and law abiding citizens. Gangs rule and violence ensues.

True: I have no argument with the ownership of firearms by responsible and law abiding adults, never have had. I am a skilled marksman myself, trained in the Royal Navy, but currently do not own a gun.

If I did though I would have to, by law, keep it in a lockable stowage. Any ammunition would have to be limited to sensible proportions and kept in another entirely separate secured stowage. In order to obtain a firearm and munitions I would need a license and to have proved that I am aware of all the safety issues involved with the possession of firearms and that I am vouched by reliable witnesses to be a mature, sane and stable responsible person. In spite of all the regulation over here however, there is still the possibility of gun crime on the streets. Mostly from young gang members trying to climb up their social hierarchy or get a reputation among their peers. Illegal firearms are obtainable by those determined enough to get hold of them, but the penalties for being found merely in possession of one are probably far more stringent than anything in the USA.

I have no real argument with the NRA other than their knee jerk reaction to any suggestion of 'gun control'. The NRA obviously are not responsible for the gun crime, 'quite the opposite probably', I doubt if most gun toting crims are even members of the NRA. What the NRA is indirectly responsible for though is the ineffectiveness of the authorities to control illegal gun possession and use, due to the powerful political influence it has over state and federal legislature. By claiming THEIR freedom to bear arms is an inalienable and constitutional right they effectively tie the hands of those who would like to see that ONLY law abiding, responsible, adults are able to obtain and responsibly use firearms. The NRA seem even opposed to that.

But every American citizen is NOT a responsible, law abiding adult, therefore the LAW should not allow them free, uncontrolled access to firearms. Irresponsible, law breakers should have no inalienable right to bear arms.

If it does not discriminate, and selectively vet every applicant to hold a firearm, then it is the LAW which is at fault when, having legally and freely obtained them, irresponsible law breakers then use them irresponsibly, lethally breaking the law.

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Sep 23, 2013, 4:06 PM
Quote Reply
Hello Jeanne Sarah and Chris:
You guys have made so many important points that I don't know where to start. However the Roman Coliseum remark reminded me of something. Rome's policy was always "bread and circuses for the masses". Virtually all nations eat bread, however what Rome considered daily entertainment would generally been considered abhorant in the 60s and 70s America. As Jeanne said the Liberals wanted to change things and "open up " society. But in allowing a more permissive attitude, it opened up a Pandora's box. The Baby Boomers generally did not set up any bounderies for their freedoms and some of them still haven't realized that freedom isn't free. Fortunately a lot of Baby Boomers did say "wait a minute" later on in life and saw that moderation does produce more happiness. And sometimes less is more. But things have gotten out of hand in a lot of areas and violence is one of them. Of course Satan is going to want to take violence to the maximum limits. And when it reaches that kind of threshold it is usually mindless. The word pandemonium must have been derived from witnessing that type of violent chaos.
Also the NRA seems to be taking the line that "give them an inch and they'll take a mile". And there are some people who would take guns away from everyone. But a lot of life is a balancing act. Sparta believed the strongest army must rule and Athens believed it should be the most intellectual society that is in charge. They destroyed each other. And to this day Greece has not recovered. There was a song in the 60s or 70s called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes". Maybe both sides should take a moment to think about that. The pro and anti gun lobbies don't share much common ground. But this is a matter of life and death and I hope some reason will prevail.
roundtable
Quote Reply
Hi Roundtable,

Your observation is backed up by scriptures. You said, "But things have gotten out of hand in a lot of areas and violence is one of them".

The prophetic nature of certain scriptures is what sets the Holy Bible and the born-again Christian's faith apart from the false religions.

Here is what was foretold in 2 Timothy 3.

1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.
10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Jeanne captured the part about the problems of parenting which can be seen in verse 2 as "disobedient to parents".

In verse 4 you can miss the depths of evil pleasures meant there if you do not include the fact that just as the Romans did so it is done now...killing just for the pleasure of it. Chris has pointed that out and you and Sarah have acknowledged it. You are witnessing the times spoken of in the Scriptures. Maybe we are just at the beginning of the worst so we should brace ourselves for what is still to come. That can be seen by these words found in verse 13, "wax worse and worse".

All is not going to be darkness because God will resist the evil workers. Verse 9, But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's (Jannes and Jambres) also was.

Even in some unbalanced movies there can be some positive that you can take away. It just depends on your objective. Firstly, entertainment that is fictional should be treated as such and should not be allowed to take on real life status. The very fact that the producers are making them for that purpose should not be treated lightly. Their intent may not be to influence the kinds of reactions that wicked people are already bent on. The wicked are bent a lot more by their companions' influences.

Secondly, I saw in Ironman 2 a smart move of good people with special abilities forming an alliance to increase their strength and face the wicked (foe) with the force and wisdom to overpower him. If the example of joining forces to battle evil in all its various forms is meaningful to you then you can take away from that movie something positive.

When Ironman rushed back to take his girlfriend (not sure who she was to him) out of harm's way you can see a type of Jesus coming at the very right time to take His bride out of harm's way. It's not exactly the same but just a shadow. However, I find that to be very caring and positive.

So, I would say that the people behind that movie were not totally bent on influencing people to be more wicked.

With love and peace to you.
Abdool
Quote Reply
This is not a reply to ROUNDTABLE BUT IT is just a thought. Sometime back we quite watching movies that are borderline lewd and exhibit a form of depravity which many do with many of the major names in films as players because it brought nausea to us. The Holy Spirit dealt with about being responsible for whatever we allowed to come in to us.

Therefore we do not have any reason to purchase any video with bad language, sex, violence, crime and all of which increase daily as the coming of the Lord draws nearer

I think what you put in your home should be governed by the Holy Spirit.

m7th
m7th--circle of revival

Last edited by:

praizeop2: Sep 25, 2013, 6:04 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [m7th] Video Violence In reply to
You are absolutely right, Jim. I do not even like most cartoon movies because they all seem to have some sort of violence in them. We did enjoy the Toy Story movies. Sometimes we can see a PG movie, but we are VERY selective.

Which brings me to a point... There are NUMEROUS good, clean, healthy movies right here on PRAIZE that you can watch! And if you can hook your computer to your tv, you can watch them on the big screen!!!. Isn't that a better option?
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [m7th] Video Violence In reply to
Hello Abdool and Jim (M7th) :
Those passages Abdool quoted from 2Timothy, I think are quite applicable to our time.
Also the comments that Sarah made about the films on Praize are true. One of the most memorable films I've seen in the last 10 years is the football story "Facing the Giants".
Quote Reply
what a common problem in our world)