The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

are tattoos a sin?

Quote Reply
are tattoos a sin?
i hear different views but can anyone guide me to a verse or tell me if it matters what the tattoos are of
Quote Reply
Re: are tattoos a sin? In reply to
Hi Jason, Welcome to you from central Wisconsin! We're happy to have you as a member of Praize.com, the fastest growing Christian website on the internet, aside from Xianx.com. To help you learn all about what Praize has to offer I suggest that you take the tour that we have located at:

http://www.praize.com/tour/

We have so many ways to meet others here through the clubs,

forums, chat and instant messenger. I hope to see you around

this awesome community.

Our chat rooms are located at the below URL:

http://www.praize.com/chat/

If you ever need any assistance don't hesitate to ask me, any member, PraizeOP or at the Help Desk. God bless you and once again Welcome to Praize.

As for your question on tattooes, I'm afraid I don't have that answer right off hand. Perhaps though too you will want to post this in a different forum thread for better response, even in General Topics. That way more people will access rather than the I'm New forum.

Again welcome to Praize!

Shell D / SingPraiz4Hym-Forums Moderator
Quote Reply
Jason,

Very good question. I would point you to Leviticus 19:28 (NIV) "Do not . . . put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

Hope this helps. I would add that we are not to judge those who do; we don't condone what they do either.

Have a blessed night.
Quote Reply
Hello Jason come visit us at http://hbcrusaders.ning.com/

There is alot of info you may be looking for here. We have several groups and blogs on differnt subjects about the bible

God bless you and yes I believe it is a sin, But if you got the tattoo before you got saved it doesnt matter, If you got it after you were saved then it really matters because it says do not mark your body, and your body is Gods temple.

Question: "What does the Bible say about tattoos / body piercings?"

Answer: The Old Testament law commanded the Israelites, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). So, even though believers today are not under the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15), the fact that there was a command against tattoos should raise some questions. The New Testament does not say anything about whether or not a believer should get a tattoo.

In relation to tattoos and body piercings, a good test is to determine whether we can honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless and use that particular activity for His own good purposes. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). The New Testament does not command against tattoos or body piercings, but it also does not give us any reason to believe God would have us get tattoos or body piercings.

An important scriptural principle on issues the Bible does not specifically address is if there is room for doubt whether it pleases God, then it is best not to engage in that activity. Romans 14:23 reminds us that anything that does not come from faith is sin. We need to remember that our bodies, as well as our souls, have been redeemed and belong to God. Although 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 does not directly apply to tattoos or body piercings, it does give us a principle: “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” This great truth should have a real bearing on what we do and where we go with our bodies. If our bodies belong to God, we should make sure we have His clear “permission” before we “mark them up” with tattoos or body piercings.

Quote Reply
looking4christ

what about folks who had in back slidden times who got cover up tattoos?

Paul
Quote Reply
looking4christ

what about folks who had in back slidden times who got cover up tattoos?

Paul
Quote Reply
Sorry about the double posts fingers have felt the neglect of not being able to post in praize for so long, btw this is aka sixstrings4eva

mog57
Quote Reply
God is merciful and will forgive you. You are His child and He loves you very much. Don't live under comdenation because in Christ we are free.
Quote Reply
Hi Ladydi77

Thank you for the kind words, I knew the answer I was making an attempt to mildly prove a point I guess. God looks at our hearts, amen.

Paul
Quote Reply
DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE ADVERTIZING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
It depends on the person’s heart. In Romans chapter 14 God’s desires are to set Christians apart from the world. Romans 14:16 god says, “do not allow what you consider good to be spoken as evil.” meaning even if what your doing is harmful or innocent, if it attracts negative attention, then that is wrong in itself. Romans 14:20-21″ all food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to stumble.” All things are good because God created them, but it becomes a problem when we use the things that God gave us in ways that are not glorifying to Him or are against him. Essentially many things were a sin in earlier text of the bible because of where the people’s heart was. God told them to not eat red meat, get tattoos, shave their hair, or eat vegetables that have not gone through a five year preparation period because they were using or doing these things in sinful nature. Many people like to quote Leviticus to say that tattooing is a sin, but within that text the people were tattooing to mourn the dead. they would cut their flesh to shed their blood for the dead and ways of honoring the dead and God said that was wrong. So God forbid it so Christians would stop doing it because they were indulging in the same sins as non-Christians and there was no way to tell the difference between the two groups, if they were practicing the same rituals. But eating red meat and shaving and eat vegetables are something that everyone does so if we go by that, then we’re all in sin, but that’s not the case. God judges the person’s heart and if you getting a tattoo because you’re doing it in a way that glorifies God then by all means, but if not you should check yourself and ask God what he thinks about your decisions. In Romans 14:23 it says, “everything that does not come from faith is sin.” When you are reading the Bible just because you want to prove a point, but not because you really love the Lord and want to make sure all your ways are pleasing to Him, then your in sin. The bible says that it is fine to drink wine and some people take that and run with and try to prove to others that drinking great amounts of alcohol is ok because God said so, but if you read in context, it also says that getting drunk is a sin. So you have to be careful of all things you do because you might think there’s nothing wrong with it, but your heart might be saying something else. But to really understand what God is saying, you should read his word for yourself, to build a personal relationship with Him. Now I’m not saying I side for tattoos and I’m not saying I side against them either, because once again its all with where is your heart. Are you doing it for Him or are you doing it because everyone else is too? That isn’t for anyone else to decide but God, and how can you know unless you ask Him for yourself. I hope this has helped you and your understanding of this topic, but there is a good lesson to learn from this, many people have different opinions and information so it would be of much value if you read the Bible for yourself, you’ll be able to know that if what someone is saying to you right or wrong, and if it is right what context does it come from. Christianity is more than the rituals, being a good person and living the right life, it has 100% to do with your relationship with God and the love that you have with Him and more so the love He has for you. Being a Christian you have to know that God chose you and not the other way around, so understand how much you mean to Him. So relating this back to if tattooing is a sin or not, when Jesus Christ lives in you, He walks with you and guides you onto the right path, He will tell you if getting a tattoo is right for you or not, if you have trouble hear His voice, or don’t even know who He is, don’t worry, its not a coincidence that you wondered onto this site, God knows you and where you are and He will lead you to Him, but you have to want Him. There is someone that is praying for you, I know this for a fact, it’s not a coincidence that God allowed me to wonder on this site either. Keep building a strong relationship with Christ with a strong foundation and He will be SO good to you like He is to me. I thank you for reading this and hoped it helped you or convicted you, either way God is pleased.
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

Last edited by:

kimchanel: May 24, 2012, 8:00 PM