The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Spiritual gift of empathy

Quote Reply
Spiritual gift of empathy
Hi...I'm new here, found this site by accident while looking up empathy characteristics. After reading about empathy and all the things a person with this gift feels, knows, thinks, etc...it all makes so much more sense now. I knew I was different and knew there were things about me that many others wondered how I knew or felt the things I did. Now I know im not alone...thank God.

I do consider empathy to be a special gift from God. A gift not only to help others, but lift Him up at the same time because of course I do and am nothing on my own, but sometimes this gift is difficult to deal with. I can feel every vibe (negative or positive), I can feel when I'm being drained, I can feel when someone dislikes me, I know when some things are going to happen before they do. I can tell or describe a person in another state I have never met only by hearing their name.

I always thought this was strange, but I'm glad to know that now I'm not alone.
Quote Reply
Re: [Blessed203] Spiritual gift of empathy In reply to
I think if you are able to feel compassion for people, it is gift that you should use to pray for people. God doesn't allow any of our gifts to go to waste and we shouldn't either. Praying for others is a special gift. I hope you will use it wisely.

I'm a little curious as to why you posted in the Pentecostal Forum???
Blessings ~ Sarah

Last edited by:

praizeop2: Aug 29, 2016, 7:46 PM
Quote Reply
Hello Blessed203 and welcome to Praize.

Empathy is a gift that is double-edged for sure. I offer a quote from my mother, which I found on a bit of paper (she was always scribbling down thoughts and observations on bits of paper) after her death and which I placed on the front of her memorial pamphlet under her picture.

"I have taught and John has taught them all to be feeling for people, animals and ideas of persons. It is a good gift, a hurtful gift in life sometimes. It takes from a person's heart. That is true. But the heart then becomes fuller…and richer."

The trick is not only to have empathy, but then to be able to offer helpful advice and comfort to the other in positive ways. My daughter has that in spades and it seems to come to her intuitively, although she has also studied to be a Behavior Analyst, a job at which she currently works at a facility for developmentally and mentally challenged adults.

It can be both draining and very rewarding at the same time. This is a gift that can be used to help many people or just the people in your circle of family and friends. It depends upon what you are capable of giving and either is good. Some people can spread themselves very thin and maintain a healthy life, but some need to keep a reserve in order to stay healthy. Don't overspread your gift more than you can handle.

Sarah offers good advice; your prayers will help you learn to use your gift and give you guidance as to what works for you.

My advice is for you to avoid getting involved with people online who seek your empathy and your help and never give out your real address, name or phone number to anyone. There are ways to help people find aide without putting yourself at risk. Learn about available centers for such aide and think about taking some classes in psychology or behavioral sciences. Don't overdo just because you can and you want to help others. It can become overwhelming.

Best of luck to you. We hope to "see" more of you here.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
I READ YOUR PROFILE AND OFTEN READ THE PROFILES TO GET A FEELING OF HOW TO PRAY FOR NEW BELIEVERS. EMPATHY AS YOU CALL IT CAN ALSO BE CALLED DISCERNMENT AND IS CHARACTERIZED BY COMPASSION. BEING PENTECOSTAL I AM SURE YOU KNOW WHAT INTERCESSATION IS AND SOME TIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE YOU MIGHT REALIZE THE HOLY SPIRIT IS TUGGING ON YOUR HEART TO PRAY AND INTERCEDE FOR SOME ONE OR SOME SITUATION,JUST LISTEN TO YOUR HEART AND HE WILL GIVE DIRECTIONS.
THE LORD WANTS TO USE YOU FOR HIM
m7th
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] Spiritual gift of empathy In reply to
I posted there because I am of Pentecostal denomination.
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Spiritual gift of empathy In reply to
Thanks for your response Jeanne...you are so right when you say that it's a double edged sword. There was a point where my marriage was in danger and no matter how many times he lied, I knew the truth...not only did I know the truth but I knew when and where he was every time he'd tell me he was somewhere else. He got the hint after busting him quite a few times. Although things are better, those are feelings that remain as a scar upon my heart, but what doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

I do use the gift God has given me to help others as well as pray for others. I do feel blessed that God has chosen me to serve Him this way...but although at times it's very cool and rewarding, it does take a toll on me emotionally at times. I feel more at peace knowing finally that throughout the years all I have felt, known, seen in the spirit, and have spoken was a gift given and not just me being weird. You spoke about the saying doodles she would write, I tend to do that a lot. I call it my "being philosophical" time. I have put up many of those sayings in my space at work and many have commented how uplifting and encouraging they are...of course I give God the glory...again, thanks for making me feel welcomedSmile
Quote Reply
Re: [m7thprophet] Spiritual gift of empathy In reply to
Funny you should say, but that's exactly what I do...in church I do not move unless He tells me so. Sometimes I wait just to make sure it's Him who is guiding me and its if I can feel the Holy Spirit pushing and nudging me as if to say....yes, it is I now go...

There's been times I will anoint and pray for the sick and I don't know what is their ailment, but when the Spirit of intercession intervenes, my hands are guided to the persons specific area of where their illness is. That's all God!

The Lord has certainly placed me in situations I would never have dreamed of going or experienced things I didn't know could exist.Angelic
Quote Reply
PTL-- THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING---INTERCESSATION IS THE DOOR THAT IS THE BEGINNING TO MANYTHINGS THAT THE LORD WILL USE YOU IN. I HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR YOU ;IF YOU HAVEN'T BEGIN AN INTENSIVE BIBLE READING AND STUDY PROGRAM..
wHAT EVER THE HOLY SPIRIT DOES WILL BE FROM THE WORD OF GOD, THAT'S WHERE HE SPEAKS FROM.

m7th
Quote Reply
m7th.....you have given me confirmation. About 3 weeks ago I played with the idea of attending a new and different church, the reason being is because I felt very out of place in my church. Out of about 180 members, I am the only one whom God uses in a very different manner. Even when I pray in the Spirit, it is different from everyone else....you may even say--set apart.

During that time, I visited my old Pastor and I told him I wanted to visit his church. This man loves the Lord and God uses him at times. That day when I told him about my plans to visit his church and relocate, he told me that he needed to be honest with what he was going to tell me. He told me I wouldn't fit in his church. Perplexed I asked what he meant by that, and he went on to tell me that what God has for me is so big, his church would be too small for me. He said I need to return to my original church and that I was needed there and that is where God wanted me and was going to use me.

As soon as he said that, I had a vision...I saw my Pastor being surrounded in a sea of sharks, but the sea turned out to be many church goers from my church surrounding her trying to grab and claw at her. The Sharks then turned into sheep with faces of wolves. He told me my church was under a spiritual attack and that God was going to use me in a big way to fight...that my place was to stand guard as a warrior at my Pastor's side although she won't know it. "Seer, do not leave your post."

Thank you Angelic
Quote Reply
no thanks needed that is part of my ministry.
Iam called prophet but in all truthfulness Iam a servant in bonds to the Lord Jesus.
the pastor spoke a word of truth to you, BE VERY SENSITIVE TO THE VOICE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.NOT MANY WILL UNDERSTAND YOU OR AGREE WITH YOU BUT THE LORD WILL CONFIRM HIS WORD IN YOU WITH SIGNS FOLLOWING.
Quote Reply
Thank you for sharing this with us. If you would like, you can put prayer requests under the Prayer Request forum. These will show up on the home page and many will pray for you.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Hello Blessed, Sarah and Jim.

I realize that I am way out of place on this topic, which I mistook for one implying a much more secular form of empathy. I just wanted you all to know that I have been reading your replies and understand just how far removed I am from being able to offer any advice.

Again, best of luck to you, Blessed, on your life's journey.

Still, be mindful of those who would take advantage of you, especially online.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Smile
Quote Reply
AngelicThank you....I never turn down prayer especially for guidance, strength, and understanding...be blessed💕
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Spiritual gift of empathy In reply to
Thanks Sara and Jim....as far as being careful, my radar is always on so I'm able to weed out and detect the fakes.Wink

Last edited by:

Blessed203: Sep 3, 2016, 7:24 PM