The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

what is the difference between...

Quote Reply
what is the difference between...
a Lutheran and a Catholic? I do not know this answer and was wondering if someone could help me.

thanks

rebecca
Quote Reply
Re: what is the difference between... In reply to
Lutheran's Statement of Faith from www.elca.org.

1. This church confesses the Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

2. This church confesses Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and the Gospel as the power of God for the salvation of all who believe

- Jesus Christ is the Word of God incarnate, through whom

everything was made and through whose life, death, and

resurrection God fashions a new creation.

- The proclamation of God's message to us as both Law and Gospel is the Word of God, revealing judgment and mercy through word and deed, beginning with the Word in creation, continuing in the history of Israel, and centering in all its fullness in the person and work of Jesus Christ.

- The canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the written Word of God. Inspired by God's Spirit speaking throug their authors, they record and announce God's revelation centering in Jesus Christ. Through them God's Spirit speaks to us to creat and sustain Christian faith and fellowship for service in the world.

3. This church accepts the canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the inspired Word of God and the authoritative source and norm of its proclamation, faith, and life.

4. This church accepts the Apostles', Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds as true declarations of the faith of this church.

5. This church accepts the Unaltered Augsburg Confession as a true witness to the Gospel, acknowledging as one with it In faith and doctrine all churches that likewise accept the teachings of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.

6. This church accepts the other confessional writings in the Book of Concord, namely, the Apology of the Augsburg Confession, the Smalcald Articles and the Treatise, the Small Catechism, the Large Catechism, and the Formula of Concord, as further valid interpretations of the faith of the Church.

7. This church confesses the Gospel, recorded in the Holy Scriptures and confessed in the ecumenical creeds and Lutheran confessional writings, as the power of God to create and sustain the Church for God's mission in the world.

You can read about the Ausburg Confession here (you will need to copy and paste I could not get the url fuction to work. http://users.frii.com/gosplow/augsburg.html

Catholic's believe according to the Statement of Faith of The Independent Catholic Union. I looked to five different Catholic websites and found the same information.

The Nicene Creed

We believe in one God,

the Father, the Almighty,

maker of heaven and earth,

of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,

the only Son of God,

eternally begotten of the Father,

God from God, light from light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made,

of one Being with the Father;

through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation

he came down from heaven,

was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary

and became truly human.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;

he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again

in accordance with the Scriptures;

he ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,

and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,

who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],

who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,

who has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the world to come.

Amen.

The Apostle’s Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,

the Creator of heaven and earth,

and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,

born of the Virgin Mary,

suffered under Pontius Pilate,

was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell. The third day He arose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven

and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,

whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins,

the resurrection of the body,

and life everlasting.

Amen.

* The word "catholic" refers not to the Roman Catholic Church, but to the universal church of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I believe you will notice a huge difference between them since the Lutheran church is protestant. You might be content with the differences, however if you care secure in Catholocism you might not be able to tolerate the differences.

You can research this information yourself with a simple web search on Google, Yahoo, DogPile, etc. for whatever denomination name Statement of faith, (eg. Catholic Statement of Faith)

Grace and Peace to You!

Matt
Quote Reply

I don't know why Lutherans need to hide.

Lutherans or not, we are protestants.

And there is a huge difference between RC & Christianity.

RC believes Mary as the giver of life - she bore Jesus, hence she is revered.

Where's in Christianity Jesus is the focus, and existed from the very beginning with God, and God being the giver of life, except Mary was used to realise the earthly ministry of Christ.

Hope this helps.

re: Genesis 1:1 and John 1:1
Quote Reply
Hi, Rebecca.

I'm a currently a Catholic. I have been Catholic for the last 14 years. Which is ruffly 1/2 my life. The first 1/2 of my life I was raised in a Luthern Home. (Missouri Synod).

In early years, I was taught that Catholic's were not Christian, and they did not believe what we (Lutherns) believe. I was also given and taught the same mis-understandings about Mary as bludder has.

However, being Catholic now I know that Catholic are Christians.

The Catholics main creeds are the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed as Matt (stratfan3342) Stated. The Catholic faith, also, uses the Athanasian Creed, which I know that ELCA Lutherns use as well.

Catholics are taught that the word; Catholic means universal.

In the Catechism of the Catholic Church it state in paragraphs 830-831 this:

830 The word "catholic means "universal," in the sense of "according to the totality" or "in keeping with the whole." The Church is catholic in a double sense:

First, the Church is catholic because of Christ is present in her. "Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church." In her subsist the fullness of Christ's body united with its head; this implies that she recieves from him "the fullness of the means of salvation" with ihe was willed: correct and complete confession of faith, full sacarmental life, and ordained ministry in apostolic sucession. The Church was, in this fundamental sense, catholic the day of Pentecost and will always be so until the day of the Parousia.

831 Secondly the Church is catholic beacause she has been sent out by Christ on a mission to the whole of the human race.... (There is more to paragraph 831)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church goes on from there until 838 to explain what it is to be Catholic. Of course the whole Catechism explains what it is to be Catholic in the Catholic Church. The whole Catechism also explain all of what Catholic's believe.

A link to the Cathechism of the Catholic Church is:

http://www.usccb.org/cate[...]m/text/

The major differences between Catholics and Lutherans is:

Catholics have 7 Sacaments, Given to us by Christ.

The Sacraments being: Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation, Holy Orders (ordain priest, sister, brothers), Marriage, Confession, Anoiting of the sick

Lutherans have only 2-3 pending on the branch.

Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation

As for Eucharist: There is a differance in what that means.

Lutherans believe in Consubstantiation which is: It holds that during the sacrament the fundamental "substance" of the body and blood of Christ are present alongside the substance of the bread and wine, which remain present. In other words it is body and blood of Christ and it is bread and wine.

Catholics believe in Transubstantiation Christ is really, truly and substantially present under the remaining appearances of bread and wine, and that the transformation remains as long as the appearances remain. For this reason the consecrated elements are preserved, generally in a church tabernacle, for giving holy communion to the sick and dying, and also for the secondary, but still highly prized, purpose of adoring Christ present in the Eucharist. In other words once it is consecrated it is no longer bread and wine, but ONLY the body, blood, soul and divinty of Christ.

Catholics do NOT worship Mary, but hold her in high regard. Because one She is the Mother of Christ, and there for she is our "Christian Mother". Second she is held in high regard because she is an example of what it is to be a Christian. She did the will of the Father, and she said yes to him, by agree to be Christ's mother. We all should be saying 'yes' to God and doing his will.

Catholics do NOT believe that Mary is the giver of Life. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states in parahgraph 2258

2258 "Human Life is sacred because from it's beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationshop with the Creator, who is it sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from it's beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being.

Catholics also, believe in a Triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 232, 233, 234

232 Christians are baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Before receiving the sacrament , the respond to a three-part question when asked to confess the Father, the Son, and the Spirit: "I do" "the faith of all Christians rest on the Trinity"

233 Christins are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit: not in their names, for there is only one God, the almighty Father, his only Son, and the Holy Spirit: the Most Holy Trinity.

243 The mystery of the Most Holy Trinity is the central myestery of Christian faith and life....

Catholic believe that Salvation come from God alone see parahgraph 169 in the CCC (Catetchism of the Catholic Chuch)

Although, we also have to show our faith in God, by what we say and do which is also key to our salvation. We, as Catholics believe that it's not enough to say we believe in Christ, but our actions the way we treat each other, and what we do have to show that we believe in Christ. That is what "works" are. It's the like saying actions speak louder then words.

Also, Catholics believe that there is purgorty. Which is to lengthy to get into here.

I think that there are 2 great books on the subject of what Catholics believe that will be a great help to you.

The first one being:

1. Catholicism for Dummies (it's a yellow book)

The Second one being:

2. Why Do Catholics Do that? A guide to the teachings and practices of the Catholic Church (it's a blue book)

Also these following web-pages will be a good help to you:

http://www.catholic.com

http://www.ewtn.com

http://www.biblechristian[...]ety.com

http://www.salvationhistory.com

I hope this helps you.

Also feel free to email me directly with any questions that you may have. I know that this forum is not the place to debate, on the difference between Catholics and Lutherans.

However you asked the question so I wanted to give you some information that will help you seek the answers. If you have more questions please email me: That way we can obey the TOS rules!

May God Bless you and keep you in the palm of his hand.

N.W. <mommyof02green>

Quote Reply
Dear Rebecca,

Well, there is much to be said isn't there? When people enter into any Christian community they will find many "pit falls" and folks who believe they have inheritance in the faith but presume they do not have to actually believe in Christ for salvation. They can make quite a mess of everyone else's lives.

What you have read here is pretty much all true (Not all of it, but most of it). These answers I believe are given by real Christian people who care about preserving the actual belief in Christ.

So how do people get so confused? I believe Christ "tempers" us. This is called sanctification by many believers. In other words, you will have to fight for what you believe in in order that the Christian faith might truely transform you and so that you end up owning it, scares, burns, and everything.

Jesus suffered that we might inherit the kingdom, so why are we to be treated any better? Well, you will be in heaven some day.

So you've heard the very accurate text book answers as to the differences between Catholics and Lutherans. Have you ever thought about this? All Lutherans in Martin Luther's time were actually Catholic. In fact, Luther himself had no intention of becoming anything other than a redeemed person for Christ. He was a Christian. He didn't learn to be a Christian because there was nobody present to point the way to the scriptures, or because the Holy Spirit ignored him because he was a Catholic. As my daughters would say "Ahhh duuhhh." Protestant believers are redeemed the same "way" Catholic believers are. Because they are redeemed by God's mercy not by their own intelligence or works.

A true believer, however, does have a conscience for doing the will of God. Sometimes it takes time for them learn right and wrong. Wow, do they give the Holy Spirit heartache!

So, I hope readers understand that God is bigger than politics and denominations. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to interpret scripture accurately! Part of the reaching out for Jesus means that there will be those who will try to isolate you, intimidate you, whatever it takes to keep you quite about the mercy of Christ in your life. (Luther protested what he couldn't justify by scripture. He embraced with great zeal, everything else.And, there was a whole lot of everything else!)

Yeah, some of the greatest enemies of "the church" are in the church itself. Remember who crucified Jesus? That's right. A bunch of religious snobs who thought they knew everything about God, enough to have the audacity to nail His Son to a cross. It sure is a good thing God has plans of His own.

We don't have to be mockers all of our lives either. Every Christian crucifies Jesus at some point and then takes him down from the cross and weeps, get my meaning?

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

quote by Martin Luther

Stay close to the Lord.

Grace and Peace, Rebecca wherever you may be now
Quote Reply
Really hon, there are several differences. The main ones I can point out off the top of my head are:

1. We do NOT worship Mary.

2. We believe our sins are between us and God, no middle man to confess to like the pastor.

3. We do NOT worship the saints.

3. We don't put ashes on our foreheads on Ash Wednesday.

4. The only kneeling we do in there is when we get married.

5. We don't light candles for people. We just pray and know that our prayers are heard without lighting candles.

6. We don't use holy water in church other than for a baptism.

That's just a few of the differences, hope this helps you!
Quote Reply
Hi,

I am a Lutheran, and we DO put Ashes on our forehead on Ash Wednesday...

Denominations have their differences, however if we remember the important things, like JESUS IS SAVIOR OF ALL, GOD IS CREATOR OF ALL, loving and forgiving...we should never let differences or traditions separate us in the Love of our Lord. Jollijude
Quote Reply
i dont say that all catholics worship the virgin mary but for what i know they say they dont in yet they even pray to her thats the thin i do not agree on because they do pray to her as if she could do somethin for them i mean no disrespect but to mee it seems as if there were sayin that the Virgin mary is at the same level as jesus christ and yes she was the mother of jesus but it could had been anyone, yes she was blessed in been chosen, but it doesnt mean she should be ask for forgiveness as if she was their savior forgive me if i hurt someone but it is my believe that if u worship somone else its idolatry. im not lutherean nor catholic. i believe in Jesus as our savior, the holy spirit as our consolator and God as the holy father creator of heaven and earth...
Quote Reply
To my believe the only intermediary between God Father and people is Jesus Christ it says so in the bible so ur sayin that the virgin mary is ur intermediary, where is jesus place in it!!! ur replacin Jesus 4 the virgin Mary? ill get 2 u with the verse where it says it, im not holdin a bible right now, but ill get it 4 u later. anyways im not sayin that she is not important cause she is, it is just that i find it wrong when people think of her 2 be an intermediary when 2 me that would be idolatry. you can admire a person but worship?? Anyways no religion is right, all religions have something that was added by man so i think people would be judge in the end by their believes! so wether we are wrong or not it really doesnt matter at all...the little details that separate us really shouldnt because in the end if we die those that took Jesus as their savior would be in the same place, no matter the little differences we are all brothers!! Religion would always be religion and will always have their differences the truth is, non of it matters, but the things that we all have in commun!!
Quote Reply
deuscaritasest

Just one point,Mary can't hear you,so why talk to her?
Quote Reply
.....therefore, since we have such an cloud of witnesses....

its in your bible.....