The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Luther's Small Catechism/ baptism

Quote Reply
Luther's Small Catechism/ baptism
  I had a question, regarding something in Luther's Small Catechism. It says in 2 different places " Baptism can work forgiveness of sins, rescue from death and the devil, and gives erernal salvation to all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare" ( Luther, 24,209). I was wondering,do the Lutheran's believe that baptism can forgive someone of their sins, and that once baptized, a child, or an adult is on their way to heaven, just because they got baptized. I realize, I may not be interpreting this correctly, but i'm very concerned, seeing as all the Lutheran church's particularily the LCMS church's, such as where I have attended, have one and it's in the Catechism twice, and at some church's that I have been to, they have a sign up quoting 1 Peter 3.21 in the Bible which gives the message that we are now saved by baptism. I know some things are hard to understand, and I don't want to take the texts for the Bible, or the Catechism out of their contexts, but I really need someone to explain this to me, since I am going to be attending Concordia Seminary to be a Pastor to the deaf.