The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

A Lutheran Baptism with a Methodist Godmother

Quote Reply
A Lutheran Baptism with a Methodist Godmother
Good afternoon. I have a question regarding the baptism of my daughter. I am trying to do as much fact finding before hand so that all goes smoothly an appropriately. I am 48 and my daughter is almost 13. We attend a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and I have done so since I was a child. My daughter attends confirmation classes now and has attend church there since birth. I have a friend who is 40 and she was baptized and attends a Methodist church regularly where she is a member and participates in communion at that church. She has been a good christian role-model for my daughter and has always been a positive christian spiritual advisor as well. My daughter ask if her friend could be her godmother when she is baptized. Both my friend and myself thought it was a good choice since we both believe that having a godmother would be a relationship for a life. And also that I have someone I can depend on in my absence to be there for my daughter to help advise and guide my daughter in her faith throughout her life. Since the proposed godmother is not a member of the lutheran church where the baptism will occur should I run into a problem with our choice? The godmother understands her reponsibilty and feels priviledged to the task. My daughter feels strongly and sincerely desires this and I simply, as a single parent, am humbled of the willingness of both my friend and my daughter to have a lifelong christian relationship that will enrich both their lives. I wanted to get some insight before approaching the pastor. thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: A Lutheran Baptism with a Methodist Godmother In reply to
Not being Lutheran I can't say, but I know being raised Catholic the church standard for godparents was that at least one had to be of the faith being baptised in and also a practicing one. Otherwise aside from that I think it is wonderful to have another Christian(no matter what faith), one that is respected by your daughter, one that you care about, and one that shares your spiritual and value system, share in this important decision in your daughter's life. I know my grandchildren were baptised in the Lutheran church and my daughter was the godmother and Catholic. The godfather was Lutheran but not really practicing his faith. Above all else too I would suggest praying on this also. SOOOO sorry if I wasn't much help, but my thoughts.... God bless.
Quote Reply
Re: A Lutheran Baptism with a Methodist Godmo In reply to
Hi,

I see it has been a couple of months since you posted this question, so I hope this helps. I am a member of an LCMS congregation and to answer your question; yes it is ok as long as the person you chose for your daughters Godparent is truly a Christian. That she promises to raise your daughter in the Christian faith and does not deny her access to worship, the scriptures and sacraments in case something were to happen to you. The Godparent also agrees to to help you in rearing your daughter in the Christian faith and remembering her baptismal B-day and such. I do not see a problem.

Peace be with you,

John
Quote Reply
Re: A Lutheran Baptism with a Methodist Godmother In reply to
  Hi, I am not a Lutheran Pastor, though that's what I am working toward for a career. Istudy the Hly Bible, Christian Apologetics, and Luther's small Catechism, and am working on the 95 theses, right now. I am and have been a Christian for a long time, and I attend and am a member of an LCMS church as well. I know the LCMS church, would prefer that both the Godparents are LCMS,so that there is not conflict between what your daughter is being told at the Lutheran church, and what she is being told by the Godparent, who attends a different denomination, because a lot of times church's thhough well meaning differ on things like baptism, end - times,and so on however, in most cases, a Pastor should understand if you have a Godmother of a different denomination, if the person who is to be the Godmother truly does have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, because that's what it's all about. Anyperson who is to be a Godmother, should be able to teach the Godchild, not just about Jesus Christ, but how to accept him, and live for him. It sounds like the woman you want for the Godmother, is a Godly woman, and wouldn't abuse and takes seriousley her about to be Godly duties. The Pastor's might be concerned, until you tell them the situation just because they don't want the child to get conflicting messages regarding the non- essentials and turn from Christ. I have studied the LCMS and Methodist denominations, and they both have the same correct essential doctrine, and I think it will be ok, so I say go for it. I was Baptized in a Catholic church, and my parent's nor my Godparents were Christian, so if you have a woman whowant's to be a Godmother that goes to a different church, but with the same correct essential doctrine I say go for it, I hope this helps, God bless you in whateer you decide, and above all pray about it before you decide, and go with what God is telling you.