The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

What I Am Reading Now / Classics...

Quote Reply
What I Am Reading Now / Classics...
Being disgusted that Kindle began charging for e-books so soon after I began reading them, I began looking for other sources of reading material. I found Nook. I have no idea what it is, but it has free e-books. One way or another, I acquired "A Tale of Two Cities" and began to read. I had read it in high school, but as you know that was a life-time ago. So I began to read.

I was impressed on two counts. The verbiage is amazing. Such intelligent writing makes reading SO enjoyable! (I am now to chapter four and thoroughly enjoying the book just for the class of English language!) The other thing that impressed me immediately was that Chapter One, while describing eighteenth century England, is also describing twenty-first century USA! What are the odds of THAT?!

So, "A Tale of Two Cities", by Charles Dickens... recommended reading!
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] What I Am Reading Now / Classics... In reply to
Sarah:

It is a far, far better thing you are doing now, than you have ever done before. Laugh Enjoy the read!

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.
Quote Reply
I heard about this book, it is pretty much interesting) now, I am reading Lord Of the Ringd, part 3, and this is absolutely fantastic book) I don't want to tell about its pkot, but I think everyone should read it once in life
Quote Reply
Re: [robbieweeks] What I Am Reading Now / Classics... In reply to
Hi Robbie.

I agree that TLOTR is a fantastic read! In my opinion the movie trilogy is the best, as well. Yup...for me it beats out my old best of "Gone With The Wind."

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Hi Sarah.

An old topic brought up here by Robbie. Smile

I hope you finished the book and sought out some more classics. You are correct; the language used in our classic novels is refreshingly stimulating. Charles Dickens, Taylor Caldwell, Pearl S. Buck, Mark Twain, Thomas Costain, Victor Hugo, Rudyard Kipling and many others from all over the world and from different ethnicities have all contributed great works that challenge us to consider our lives, as well as, our education.

I will readily admit that I kept referring to a dictionary when reading Caldwell's great books.

However, for a quick, interesting and throughly entertaining read, I always choose Dean Koontz, who is a master of capturing the essence of a character and events in amazingly few words and descriptions, quite unlike Victor Hugo.

I think it is an absolute shame and disservice to our youth to abandon these classics in favor of far less challenging books, which are often not much more than politically correct pulp chosen to satisfy the need for diversity.

So...what are you reading now?

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] What I Am Reading Now / Classics... In reply to
Funny that you should ask right now, Jeanne!
I have just really started reading again after several years. I have started reading James Godson's book, For Love of Liberty. It is listed on Praize. Go to the bottom of any page under "Categories". I have read it before, but forgotten how well written it is. It is very timely for what is going on in the world today.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Hi Sarah.

Wow...he includes just about everything. I imagine it is, indeed, quite a read.

I have been wanting to read "Green Dolphin Street" for the fourth or fifth time, but my library is still filled with our overflow from our daughter's side of the house, awaiting a time without chaos when we can rearrange book shelves and a china cupboard, weight lifting exerciser and some food storage....

...and I can't get to the section of my library that holds that book. Frown.

Her side of the house is in reconstruction that seems to be taking forever. But...an end is in sight! Yay!

The last books I read were Terry Brooks' trilogy, "The Word And The Void." Certainly an interesting story and the first Terry Brooks novels I have read. You wouldn't like them, Sarah, I don't think.

-Jeanne