The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Bookworm Review

Quote Reply
Bookworm Review
I highly recommend the novel “Hadassah-One Night With the King” by Tommy Tenney with Mark Andrew Olsen. (Bethany House Publishers 2004) It is a fictional adaptation of the book of Esther in the Bible. The characters come to life vividly in this 351 page action packed palace thriller interweaved with political intrigue and compassion. There are the exiled Jews, Mordecai and Hadassah (Esther): the devious Haman the Agagite: King of Persia Ahasuerus (Xerxes) and his chamberlain, Memucan. Tenney, a relentless researcher and best-selling non-fiction author, follows the Bible pretty accurately. He fills in loosely Hadassah’s life before the Bible’s record.

Hadassah is a ten year old peasant girl living with her adopted poppa Mordecai in Susa, the capital of Persia. She tells her story looking back to youthful days. Through her eyes Ancient Persia and palace (royal, Queen) living jump out almost like you were there right next to Hadassah. The sights, smells and emotion of the time hit your senses. God is present in the novel with love and caring for His children the Jews. This novel doesn’t overshadow the Biblical account, but it gives you a fresh perspective of a Jewish historic figure. All in all, I thought this page turner was a really good and heartfelt read and I give this five out of five crosses.

Quote Reply
Re: [justjay1975] Bookworm Review In reply to
thanks for your recommendation