The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Yule/Christmas

Quote Reply
Yule/Christmas
I know I posted this in Occult debates, I really don't think it's a debate thing though more like a list of fun facts.

So here is a list of traditions that we incorporate into our Christmas rituals and where they originally come from:

Hanging lights in and around the house - The Romans celebrated the winter solstice with a festival called Saturnalia in honor of Saturnus, the god of agriculture.

holly and mistletoe are pagan symbols of eternal life, death and rebirth and evergreen branches are hung over doors to keep away evil spirits.

in the Middle Ages Germans put evergreen trees inside their homes or right outside their doors to symbolize the return of the warmth of spring in the cold of winter.

If you think of any others feel free to add... So come on guys lets make a list. Nativity scenes are a Christian decoration, what culture began that tradition though? (culture not religion) as in where did the first one appear? a German Cathedral? and Mexican Church? a Monastary in England? how did the tradition spread? What are some other Christmas/Hanukkah/Ramadan/Solstice/Yule/other decorations? What are the stories behind them?