The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Witnessing to Mormons, Part II

Quote Reply
Witnessing to Mormons, Part II
One of the Mormons teachings states that "A general falling away from the truth occurred after the death of Christ’s Apostles. This is called the Apostasy.

When Jesus Christ lived on the earth, He established His Church. After His Ascension into heaven, His Apostles carried on His work under His direction, through revelation and with His priesthood authority.

After the Apostles and many righteous Church members were killed and other members departed from the truth, the Lord took the priesthood authority and His Church from the earth. Without God’s priesthood authority, the Church no longer functioned as Christ had established it. The ordinances were changed and many plain and simple truths were lost. While many good people and some truth remained, the original Church was lost.

The Apostles prophesied of the falling away or Apostasy. One example is Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians (2 Thessalonians 2:1–3). THE SECOND EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE

THESSALONIANS

CHAPTER 2

Apostasy is to precede the Second Coming—Gospel prepares men for eternal glory

1 NOW we beseech you, brethren, by• the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Biblical Response

The restitution of all things, Acts 3:19. This verse is speaking of the return of Christ to the earth to establish his earthly kingdom. If this is the restitution the LDS church is speaking of, it happens after Christ returns to the earth, not before!

The Apostasy: False doctrines began to be preached in Jesus name almost from the beginning of the Church age. Many of the New Testament books were written to counter these false doctrines. Jesus himself said that false teachers and false doctrines would arise. In the parable of the weeds (Matthew 13:24-43), good seed is sown in a field. While everyone is sleeping, his enemy comes in and sows weeds among the wheat. The wheat and the weeds spring up together. Because it is impossible for men to tell the difference, Jesus tells them to let both grow together until the harvest. The harvesters will be able to tell the difference and will collect the weeds and burn them. Then they will gather the wheat and bring it into his barn. Jesus then explains the parable. Jesus is the one who sows the good seed. (37) the field is the world and the good seed are the sons of the kingdom. The enemy is the devil and the weeds are the sons of the evil one. The harvest is the end of the age and the harvesters are angels.

If the Mormon paradigm were true, The parable should go something like this. Jesus sows the good seed, then the evil one sows the weeds. Both grow up together, but soon the weeds choke the life out of the wheat until there is no wheat left. After a long time Jesus returns and sows more good seed, this time in a field without any weeds.

In Matthew Chapter 16:17-19 Jesus tells Peter that upon his confession of faith, that Jesus is the messiah, the son of the living God, he would build his church and the gates of Hades itself would not be able to destroy it.

In Matthew Chapter 24 Jesus, pointing to the temple said, “Do you see all these things? I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down. “ Jesus’ disciples thinking that he must be taling about the end of the age, asked him “When will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age.” His answer was that many would come in his name claiming that they were the messiah and would gain many followers. Many would turn away from the faith, but he who stands firm till the end would be saved. Unlike the Mormon teaching that the apostasy is total and the true church vanishes from the earth, Jesus taught that while some would turn away from the truth others would not and would remain true to his gospel to the end.

There is absolutely no teaching by Jesus or any of his disciples that if enough false doctrine where introduced into the church he would have to reappear and present a new revelation of himself and start a new church. In fact, Jesus said just the opposite, he said, “I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it”. (Matthew 16:18)

Neither is there a teaching that apostasy would overwhelm the church. In 2 Thessalonians 2:3-14, Paul says that before Jesus returns there would be a falling away from the truth. The man of sin would be revealed and that he would deceive all those “who are perishing” He is not able to deceive true believers, only those who appear to be believers, but who have not believed the truth.(Verse 10) He makes a clear distinction between this group who fall away and those who would not fall away in verses 13-14, “But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the Glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Bible clearly teaches that there is no other gospel but that which was given by Jesus to his disciples (and to Paul for three years in Arabia) and that is recorded in the pages of the New Testament scriptures. Paul in writing to the Galatians told them, “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-which is really no gospel at all. But even if we or an Angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned.” (Galatians 1:6-8)

I Tim 4:1-2 states, “Now the Spirit explicitly says that in the latter times some will depart from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and the teachings of demons, through the hypocrisy of liars whose consciences are seared.

Note that this verse states that “Some” shall depart, not all will depart!

Jude 3 states, “Dear Friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. Once, Greek, hapax, one (or a single) time. This faith, this message we believe in was delivered one time and has been believed on and spread throughout the earth ever since.

Revelation 14:6 states, “Then I saw another angel flying in mid-heaven, having the eternal gospel to announce to the inhabitants of the earth--to every nation, tribe, language, and people. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the eternal Gospel!

The God of the Bible, the God we serve is the “unchanging GOD”. His plans and purpose for his church are the same today as they were when the church began on the day of Pentecost. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

Quote Reply
Re: Witnessing to Mormons, Part II In reply to
Amen, "The blood of Christ cleanses us from all unrighteousness"
Quote Reply
Re: [Aquila] Witnessing to Mormons, Part II In reply to
I did a search after another post earlier today, looking to see what else might have been discussed bout Mormon beliefs of an almost 2000 year apostasy of the original Church.

I found this excellent post! I am bumping it up to be seen again.

Jim
·...¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>
Be fishers of men