The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

competition...

Quote Reply
competition...
why is it that this debate between buddhism/hinduism and christianity sounds a lot like a competition???? "my god is better than yours", "my god can beat up your god." sheez. there's is good in most religions of the world, the trick is are you open to finding out what they are??? are you open to seeing the similarities between different religions and christianity????
Quote Reply
competition... In reply to
Deuteronomy 13:4 Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

There is only one God and we are to serve him, not try to find anything good in serving things that don't exist and Satan. There is nothing good in serving things that don't exist or Satan.
Quote Reply
Sharon,

Are you a Christian?

Just wondering...
Quote Reply
why is it that this debate between buddhism/hinduism and christianity sounds a lot like a competition???? "my god is better than yours", "my god can beat up your god." sheez. there's is good in most religions of the world, the trick is are you open to finding out what they are??? are you open to seeing the similarities between different religions and christianity????

Sharon --

No, I have no need to compete for Top-Dawg Status. Competition certainly isn't a Buddhist ideal -- and anyway, it's not one of my personal ideals.

However, there's a black-or-white mentality that a lot of people trick themselves into using. As a result, their main approach to handling anything that isn't their own shade is to attack it/abuse it/slander it. It's unfortunate, but it's human. So it's ultimately forgiveable.

-- James
Quote Reply
Sharon, I think the key word here is "trick".

You said it, not me.

Just remember, all lukewarm folk get spit out in the end.

So be either hot or cold, but not inbetween.
Quote Reply
sharon jantzen wrote:

why is it that this debate between buddhism/hinduism and christianity sounds a lot like a competition????

Response:

Perhaps because that is the nature and definition of 'debate'?

Quote:

there's is good in most religions of the world, the trick is are you open to finding out what they are???

Response:

I have often repeated the quote, "All truth is God's truth". Many religions (and even non-religions) contain 'truth'. Many also contain much error. So, maybe the 'trick' is in trying to discern which is which?

Quote:

are you open to seeing the similarities between different religions and christianity????

There are indeed often some 'similarities'. Often these are only surface similarities, however. And, invariably, the differences are so vast and unbridgeable that they by far outweigh any similarities.

One can hold to an absolute worldview and its concept of 'truth' while still respecting others' right to believe what they will. Does that mean that I view all beliefs alike? Of course not; only a schizophrenic mind could even attempt that (mis)leap of logic! However, I respect all individuals, and, in this 'marketplace of ideas' that comprises our intellectual and moral world, WE ALL have the right, as Paul did in the public square in Athens, to propound what we have experienced and believe (know) to be true. The responsibility to accept or reject lies with the listener.

Blessings,
Quote Reply
Re: competition... In reply to
I am a Buddhist, and i have a lot of respect for Christians. I was a christian for most of my life, and I never felt a strong conection to it. I have a very spiritual connection with Buddhism, I wish Christians could accept and understand that we are all alike. My truth was not in the Bible. I found what I believe is true through Tich Nhat Han, Dalai Lama, and the Dhamapada. If Jesus read Buddhist teachings, I'm sure he would not reject any of them.
Quote Reply
Michael:

Quote:" I wish Christians could accept and understand that we are all alike."

In terms of being 'human', of course we are all 'alike', although even then, there are vast differences in how we process information, etc.

However, if what you're trying to say is that all 'worldviews' or 'belief systems' are somehow synonymous, or 'alike', then I would have to differ with you. Contradictory 'truth' is just that....contradictory. Opposing concepts simply cannot both be 'true'. To claim they are is schizophrenic at best.

Quote:"I found what I believe is true through Tich Nhat Han, Dalai Lama, and the Dhamapada."

I have read some of Thich Nhat Han's writings, as well as the Dalai Lama's, and, like all writings, have found myself challenged by them...sometimes by recognizing universal truths, and sometimes by the realization that man's doctrine and dogma only reaches so far....and no farther.

Quote:"If Jesus read Buddhist teachings, I'm sure he would not reject any of them."

Now here's where you enter the nebulous world of pure speculation...unsupported by fact. The reality is that anything taught by any of these that violated the pure truth expounded by Jesus would have been strenuously opposed by Him...in exactly the same way that He opposed the false teachings of the sages of His own faith group, Judaism.

As well, I've heard the Dalai Lama in conference with many nominal leaders of liberal 'christian' groups, who themselves were falling all over themselves to attempt to 'see' the syncretism they felt existed between Buddhism and Christianity. The Dalai Lama did not hesitate to point out the vast gulf between the essential beliefs of His faith, Tibetan Buddhism....and the teachings of Jesus and the Bible.

So....sorry, can't let you have that one...it simply isn't so. Any apparent agreement is swamped by the impassable gulf that separates contradictory belief systems.

However, I will defend to the death your right to choose what you believe....although I would hope that you remain open to adjusting your thoughts and beliefs as you mature.....at 17, I had many ideas that I would no longer support at my age today.

Blessings,

Quote Reply
My friend I have lived abroad for many years, and My wife who is Okinawan Japanese was reading your reply. She asked me if the westerners know the difference between Christ and Buddha. She also informed me that the only time she'd seen most folks in a shrine or temple was during a wedding, funeral or at the new year or just asking for something. She also told me most westerner are praticing the princples of a monks life. As she then stopped to tell me how quite a few Japanese were converting to the Christain faith. I respect your right to believe as you do, but can I offer you some special information from a 15 year old?

"Buddha was someone would was searching for the meaning of life and when he found it, transcended to godhood, why didn't he share it?! Jesus lived among us, passed on teachings to us and died for us."

-Mayu, 15 y/o from Okinawa

Quote Reply
Hi, Sharon and others---just want to comment on this competition issue and whatnot. The thing is---the important thing---at least to me, is that the TRUTH come out. The bible proves itself to be true but at the same time this is very hard to prove to those who are confused and/or just don't believe. The unbeliever's eyes are spiritually blind so the best way to help them first, is to pray for them---after that maybe some truth will break through.

I do know the word but I enjoy talking to those who are open and willing to listen. If they refuse to acknowledge that the Bible is the absolute truth, I generally leave them alone because I don't believe in arguing about spiritual matters. So, that is my part in this. If anyone has questions, I will try to answer. God bless you all.

Marcia

P.S. My interest in the Buddhists is partly that I have a neice who I am close to who has a brother in law who was Buddhist and now goes to my church---but he has not given up the Buddhists completely and if anyone has a few helps on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. PS again---He DID receive Christ into his life over a year ago but still confused and I think it has something to do with his wife and associating with Buddhists still. His wife is still Buddhist but will come to church with him occasionally but for the wrong reasons---she doesn't trust him---thinks he'll find a g/f.
Quote Reply
Dear ggd313,

I know the Buddhists teach a lot of good things and I don't disagree with everything but if it is contrary to the Word of God, then I disagree. Also, Buddha is considered an idol which is a very bad thing. In the 10 commandments, the first one is about, "Have no other gods before me." So this religion breaks the very first commandment, the most important thing.

Marcia
Quote Reply
Hi Marcia:

I agree with you that Buddhist thought contains much truth, along with Taoist thought, or Confucius' philosophy.

I must make a couple of comments about your statement that 'Buddha' is an 'idol'.

An idol is by definition an object of worship, so on that definition, to most Buddhists, it is not an idol, since they don't 'worship' Buddha.

Just like in Christianity, where there are many groups, even in Protestantism, that believe things contrary to what you believe, (for instance, the snake handlers/poison drinkers of the South), so too in Buddhism, there are many flavours.

Buddhism is somewhat syncretistic, in that it tends to take on the 'flavour' of whichever culture (and pre-existing religions) it finds itself in...thus, Buddhism as known in India is different from, say, Buddhism in Vietnam...or China (where it was heavily influenced by both Confucianism and Taoism), and certainly in Tibet, where it was influenced by the animistic nature, occult religions of antiquity.

So...while there are Buddhists that have, over the years, come to view the Buddha as a sort of a saviour, the classical view is more that he was merely a way-shower, followers are to follow their own path, seek their own truth, while using his 8 fold path, etc. As one quote says: "If you find the Buddha along the way, kill him", meaning one can take the 'truths' Buddha discovered and apply them, but it is an individual path towards 'enlightenment' that they embark on, not resembling religions like Christianity at all in that respect.

So there are those who pursue it as a strict religious exercise, those who follow it as a philosophy, and certainly those who have syncretized it to more closely resemble other religions in terms of salvation, etc.

Blessings,
Quote Reply
YES!!! That was a perrrrrfect post by sojourner!!
Quote Reply
Re: [ggd316] competition... In reply to
Nice Blog