The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

What 'race' were Adam and Eve?

Quote Reply
What 'race' were Adam and Eve?
Scientific research seems to have reached the conclusion that the Human race is traceable back to a very very few individuals. Some even say that the entire human race can be genetically traced back to one single woman and all race types are really only genetic adaptions to climate and not an indication of race at all, there being no essential genetic difference between the races which cannot be explained by evolutionary mechanisms driven by reduced levels of sunlight in higher latitudes, and therefore lower levels of vitamin D, causing skin lightening, hair straightening and eye coloration adaptation to optimize the production of Vitamin D, as they migrated over time into higher southern and northern latitudes.

What do Christians believe concerning the origins of 'race'. To put it simply, "What race was Adam"?

Regards Chris.
Quote Reply
Re: What 'race' were Adam and Eve? In reply to
Anyone got opinions on this?
Quote Reply
Where did they come from then?

When, according to the Bible, did 'race' start?

And why might they exist now? (If indeed they do actually exist)?

Might there be anything in the scientific explanation?

Regards Chris.
Quote Reply
You cannot serve two Masters. Either you believe in the evolution of mankind over million of years, or you believe in the Biblical view of creation. Why does there have to be a "scientific explanation" to God creating Adam from the dust of the ground, and Eve from one of Adam's ribs?

"Race" started at the Tower of Babel, when God confused the tongues of man, end of story.

Adam and Eve are LONG dead. They are dust, waiting in the ground for their Lord to come.

At the end of the day you can either choose to believe this or dismiss it. As with everything, it all comes down to faith.
Quote Reply
God is The Spiritual Being without being human, so Adam and Eve were in His spiritual image while being human. "Race" as we know it today couldn't have existed; but maybe they were gray!
Quote Reply
I was kidding, Probibilos!
Quote Reply
 probiblos (Probiblos): Allen :

It's been suggested they were more "brown" or dark skinned.

More likely Adam and Eve were black actually or at least brown skinned, given the geographical location suggested in scripture and ethnicity of the population in that region to the present day.

The word "Adam", however, means "red"

Red is only a related word, (similar sounding in Hebrew), like ruddy and blood. It is more likely Adam comes from dust or ground. Which (if you think about it), is what the text actually says Gen. 2:7.

Adam (Hebrew: אָדָם‎, Arabic: آدم‎ ) in Biblical (as well as modern) Hebrew is sometimes used as the personal name of an individual and at other times in a generic sense meaning "mankind", in the same way as the earlier Canaanite 'adam'. According to the Jewish Encyclopedia, its use in Genesis 1 is wholly generic. In Genesis 2 and 3 the writer weaves together the generic and the personal senses of the word. In all that pertains to the first man as the passive subject of creative and providential action the reference is exclusively generic. It may also be observed that the writer in Genesis 2-3 always says "the man" instead of "Adam", even when the personal reference is intended, except after a preposition.

The usage of the word as personal predates the generic usage. Its root is not the standard Semitic root for "man" which is instead '-(n)-sh but is attested as a personal name in the Assyrian King List in the form Adamu showing that it was a genuine name from the early history of the Near East. The generic usage in Genesis meaning "mankind" reflects the view that Adam was the ancestor of all men. Etymologically it is the masculine form of the word adamah meaning ground or earth and related to the words adom (red), admoni (ruddy) and dam (blood) Gen. ii. 7 explains that the man was called Adam because he was formed from the ground (adamah). Compare Gen. iii. 19.

From Wikipedia (Adam)

But IS colour an indication of race?

And did God make 'races' or have they just come about as a result of where on earth our ancestors have predominantly lived?

White people, (or pinky grey people if you like), in the tropics get sun tanned and go brown, brown people become less brown in extreme northern and southern climates. This is merely adaptation driven by availability of Sun and the need for vitamin D if there is too little sun or protective skin pigment to offset excessive sun if there is too much.

Ever ask why people who have lived generations in the tropics are now black and people who have lived generations in less sunny climes have become less black, until some are very fair skinned indeed?

Regards Chris.
Quote Reply
by definition Adam meant "red man" as someone suggested but that may have reflected the blood flow in his veins.

The only pertinent fact is his his Father;and that was God because race does not go back beyond creation.

I don't understand the value here because Adam was heavenly by race because of the Father.

I have bred animals and have started a new breed but the breed is named in the Father becase that is the beginning point.

So unless you want to make a spiritual point the only answer here is --of the father
Quote Reply
 probiblos (Probiblos): Allen :

As I earlier stated, there was no question of "race' at creation.

Could it be then that Adam, (i.e. the prototype of the human race), supplied all the genetic material of the entire human race, (Eve being in effect a clone of Adam), and that ‘races’ came about by a process of natural selection, (certain genes being turned on or off), driven by the natural environments across the planet, into which our ancestors migrated over many generations?

Races formed after the dispersion at the Tower of Babel.

What about the population of the Land of Nod where Cain’s wife came from. Could they have contributed to the human gene pool? There must have been a population there because you don’t need a city for only three people to live in.

And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, Gen. 4:16

Regards Chris.
Quote Reply
heh. *chuckle*
Quote Reply
Adam means "man"/male, it has zero, to do with color, zero. Not red, not brown, not black or white, no color is implied, at all.

Adam was created with Every single genetic messeage in his DNA, and each singular message has been broken down by the separation of people based on their language, not their skin pigment.

Survival, of the fittest.

The amount of melanin in each humans skin pigment is determined by both mother and fathers DNA heritage, and is passed down to their offspring.

The reason people with a higher melanin count in their skin, BLACK/DARK, survive in hotter climates is because the thicker skin helps ABSORB the suns ultra-violet rays, which is why lighter/white people BURN their skin if exposed too long.

The opposite is true, for survival purposes in colder climates. The thicker ones pigment, the MORE sun they need, which is why many black people who escaped the south to go to the north to be free got RICKETTS, which is a vitamin d deficiency due to lower amounts of sunlight required to SURVIVE.

Survival of the fittest is not a fairy tale, the degenerative mutation of all mankind, and the separation of the ONE human race started right where Gods word said it does, in Genesis 10.

The percentage of differences between a man with the blackest of pigment, compared to a man with the lightest of pigment, is only

.0000016 % is our differences.

satan uses what we "see" or "perceive" against us by deceiving are "fallen" spirit into thinking we are "better" than the other

because of whom we "didnt chose or debate" with God over, He chose, who we would be, and under what conditions, we were to be exposed, including our natural settings, long before we were ever conceived in body or mind.
Quote Reply
Re: [RdrCofE] What 'race' were Adam and Eve? In reply to
Hello RdrCofe
It has been a long time wow it is nice to see you still here at praize. I'm in total agreement with your thoughts on this. it explains a lot in view of Genesis chapter 11 with the tower of Babel. Good thoughts and thank you.
Agape love
mog57 aka sixstrings4eva from way back LOL
The April fools day guy LOL w00tw00tw00tw00tw00tw00tw00t
AIN"T GOD GOOD?
Quote Reply
Re: [mog57] What 'race' were Adam and Eve? In reply to
WOW such wisdom and knowledge here. I was under the impression that RACE was an event. Thus meaning that all HUMANS were in a race. Human Race? Paul writes about RUNNING THE RACE. I believe there is only ONE KIND of people; HUMANKIND,,,,and one type of people; CREATED PEOPLE,,,,and one kind of being,,,,,,HUMAN BEING......And as Paul suggested we were all in a race to win a prize, and that prize is Christ Jesus. Now as far as what color Adam was, it is all speculation on behalf of interpretators. One word in aramaic, and yiddish has mayb up to 5 different definitions, which to choose, RED,,,DIRT,,,WHO KNOWS? Who was there? Who knew Adam? I personnaly was not there nor do I know him. I do know this tho,,,,,we are all in a race in our own paths that we have to run in, no one can enter into our path,,,but they can aid assistance along the way. We are encouraged to not look back, but to PRESS ONWARD AND UPWARD to the HIGH CALLING OF GOD IN CHRIST. Running for the PRIZE. I think that when God loolks down here and see us, He only sees one COLOR: RED.........The Blood Red Stain that covers our sins. And that He sees no Black, Brown, Red, Green, Blue or Yellow,,,,,,ONLY RED. We need not get caught up in simple earthly thoughts, but get deep into the ways of God and His plan.
Quote Reply
Re: [JjM] What 'race' were Adam and Eve? In reply to
JjM Laugh

I agree with that. Adam had the genetics of all "races" of mankind in him. It took the separation at the tower of Babel to begin our current segregation issues first based on language, then physical preferences that resulted in nations of unique people groups. Even science today is increasingly admitting there is really no biological basis for human "race" designation other than socially speaking, or maybe slight differences in metabolic functions, blood types, etc. Physical appearance can't certify genetic trait or rightly establish "race".

Trait causes a variety of physical appearances. Genetically driven traits help humans cope with their environment/ecosystem, and that can occur in a matter of days or weeks. Some exceptions are akin to being suddenly removed from a long life in Florida to banishment in Siberia in the dead of winter. I doubt genetic traits could respond quickly enough. Our genes are sufficient to enable us to overcome ecosystem problems through an amazing variety of traits God built into us humans.

The only "race" concerning Adam was the race God has called us to run. Adam failed his first lap, but we don't know how he finished.

You will hear responses denying this, claiming the "power of the environment", as though nature possesses a mind, causes those adaptations directly, that "natural selection" causes organisms to be subservient to a god-like "mother earth".

Blessings to you,
Jim
·...¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>
Be fishers of men
Quote Reply
Re: [dovegiven] What 'race' were Adam and Eve? In reply to
I agree, God created our finite bodies in such a manner that no matter what the world does to us we CAN adapt. Our blood RUNS RED. There have been scientific claims of late that we all have the basic DNA gene, plus additional genes that make us different. But we are able to adapt to climate changes, geological changes and so on. Our vessels are also able to heal themselves if we are living in the RIGHT LIFESTYLE.

I am certain there will be disputes about your comments, but in those disputes are they all checked out with Scripture and Prayer? We ARE MADE IN HIS IMAGE AND LIKENESS. We all have a RACE TO RUN, how are we running it?