The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Resisting the Enemy

Quote Reply
Resisting the Enemy
God has equipped us to resist, not to fight the Devil. Jesus didn't fight him, but resisted the Devil with scriptures of promise. James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Take literally the array of protection we have access to. Ephes. 6:[13] Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Resist sin and evil, don't let it get through to you, in the same measure that you have submitted to God so you can resist the Devil. That amounts to hating those things enough not to tamper with them. Don't play around with sin. Don't wink at evil. Have nothing to do with those things. When you have done that, it isn't time to relax. You remain armed and standing on guard for yourself and the saints around you. Rest is on the way, when Jesus brings it at His second coming.

[14] Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

There shouldn't be a need to pray to gain knowledge of the word of God. We are commanded to study it. Wear the word, eat the word more than you wear or eat anything else. Without knowledge even God's people perish. Get that knowledge, and receive the vision that comes out of it. With that do the works of righteousness Jesus taught to do.

[15] And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Attitude toward God. You must gain confidence enough to look forward to meeting Him face to face. Be about knowing the peace He offers between you and Him. It requires preparation on your part, like a soldier preparing for war that he never has to fight.

[16] Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

The body armor is vital, but don't tempt it's ability to fully protect you. The idea is to avoid being struck by the enemy in the first place. A shield deflects the weapons of the enemy. Our faith is that shield. Like I like to say, faith is not a mental exercise alone. It is a declaration from you based on what God says about you, and taking steps to prove it as though in a court on trial accused of having faith. You want to prove you are guilty. Do what the Lord says to do. Old Testament stories of faith tell of strange commands from God that confounded the enemy, brought victory.

[17] And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Look at 1 Thes. 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Doubt and unbelief too easily creeps into our mind if we don't guard against that. Watch out over your thought life, your imagination, old fears, guilt, shames, and other burdensome luggage we ought to drop and leave on the trail for good.
Cast down evil thoughts, bad imaginations.

Jesus swung the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, in resisting the Devil in His 3 temptations.We should value that weapon likewise. But if we don't know what to quote, our sword becomes too dull.

[18] Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

While faith is the main part to bear, how are we doing with this major tactic? A good soldier knows his defensive and offensive weapons, but what of warfare tactics? Well, soldiers study tactics like a football team studies plays together, practicing them. We are to pray strategically for ourselves, our family, and on out for the whole of all believers. It doesn't say to spend precious time praying for the wicked, which would be like a band of soldiers spending training time strengthening enemy soldiers with encouragement. We pray for our enemy to be saved, but we have a higher purpose, to defeat the enemy, bringing them into subjection.

[19] And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

Paul asked for all that to be employed for his sake too. Pray for Sarah, Jim, and all who make Praize possible.

[20] For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Emboldened by the word of God and anointing of the Spirit, embolden the army of God to complete the will of God on earth.

The Devil is not interested in coming against the army of God in a state of extreme readiness. He has easier targets overcome with neglect. Don't be one of them. He has no supernatural powers to overwhelm us, but is forced to act like an old toothless lion that still has a big roar. His only hope of a bite is to frighten something into paralysis long enough to consume them. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Be glad he roars. That gives you warning, while already prepared for his coming. No child of God is tagged to be taken by the old lion.

·...¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>
Be fishers of men
Quote Reply
Re: [dovegiven] Resisting the Enemy In reply to
"There shouldn't be a need to pray to gain knowledge of the word of God. We are commanded to study it. Wear the word, eat the word more than you wear or eat anything else. Without knowledge even God's people perish. Get that knowledge, and receive the vision that comes out of it. With that do the works of righteousness Jesus taught to do.

[15] And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;"

~*~
I can't say that I pray for knowledge. I do pray for help with understanding some things that are a bit beyond me.
Quote Reply
Re: [MaryPankratz] Resisting the Enemy In reply to
I agree. This might seem a little tricky. Col. 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it,

do not cease to pray for you,

and to desire

that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will

in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

1. do not cease to pray for the saints
2. desire filling of the knowledge of God's will
3. desire that beyond just filling, but coupled with all
wisdom and spiritual understanding.

It is proper to pray for the understanding, in particular in an instance such as Paul's dealing with speaking in an unknown tongue, or anything that lacks understanding by you or others hearing perhaps a sermon.
1 Cor. 14:14-15 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. [15] What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

The catch is that when praying for such things, your objective is to pray with the Spirit in you involved, and with understanding.
Much understanding comes from consistent prayer, and it comes by way of the Holy Spirit who teaches the Word of God with understanding.
·...¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>
Be fishers of men