The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary?

Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary?
Consider the life of Joe. A typical day is getting up in the morning, taking a shower, going to work at a job he really doesn’t care about; but does it because he likes the pay. After 8 hours, he leaves work, goes to the gym, for an hour then goes home; sits in front of the TV, eat dinner and watch his favorite TV programs till its time to go to bed then everything starts all over again.
On weekends he may have dinner with his girl friend, perhaps see a movie, play darts or pool at the local bar with friends, instead of going to work, but everything else is pretty much the same; and Joe is perfectly happy doing this. Is there really meaning or a sense of purpose to Joe’s life? Does it really matter if he is happy following this routine? Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary? Your thoughts?

Ken

Re: [kennyj] Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary? In reply to
Hi Kenny.

There is only one purpose/meaning to life and that is genetic survival via procreation, in other words to choose a satisfactory mate to have "baby whatevers" with and to rear them to self sufficiency.

I have often contended that, as Rose says, "mediocrity is under rated."

Joe may not be finished with his life, yet. He may have children one day or he may not. If he contributes in some way to the lives of others in his community and is happy with his routine, then let him be. Even if that contribution is stocking shelves at the local grocery store and making purchases that help businesses stay afloat. Not every person needs to be over achieving, humanity needs regular old Joes too.

The important thing is if Joe is happy and fulfilled and that should he become unhappy and unfulfilled, he seeks to alter his state of being.

I decided long ago that my purpose was my family. I am a nurturer. I am also a farmer and homemaker. That can make for a fairly mediocre routine, but one that I think is important and necessary. I am happy. I am fulfilled. I am needed. I strive to live in harmony with my fellow human beings, to not be destructive or violent and to keep on trusting that others are generally doing the best they can.

Those whose purpose is to live in discord with their fellow human beings, to be destructive and violent and who act upon their opinions that others are less worthy of life and liberty may be fulfilling some purpose, but it isn't a sane one. If there is some divine supernatural entity that they believe demands such behavior, I would not want to meet it. And, as an atheist, I only accept that such a belief is the sickness of a mentally ill and deluded mind, however it may be supported by a religion and its followers.

I am content with my biological purpose in life, but because I have a reasoning brain, I get to have lots of choices about what I do with my time that isn't spent procreating and rearing. Actually the rearing and homemaking and nurturing never stops, so I just fit other fulfilling stuff in there when I can.

The legacy I leave rests in my children's hands, my grandchildren's future and the memories of me and what I felt was right and proper and honorable and worth working for or perhaps fighting for.

BTW, this site may be closing, but Sarah is not sure when that might be happening, so if you want anybody's private email address to keep in touch, make sure you take the time to get it with a private message.

What do you think about life's purpose/meaning, Kenny?

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

Re: [kennyj] Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary? In reply to
Kenny: Hi.

That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached; How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree: Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, Acts 10:37-41

Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. Eph.6:5-8.

If your life seems to have become purposeless, it is good for you to read these passages of scripture. Then devote your life to something or someone higher than the sum of your own personal interests.

To know God's will and to do it, is the path to happiness and a sense of purpose.

Joe's life, as boring and unproductive as you describe it nevertheless still as yet takes him into the sphere of human interaction. How he responds to the needs, physical and spiritual, of his fellows will determine the level of satisfaction and sense of purpose he experiences.

This truly applies whether or not he is a 'believer'. The difference for believers is that we believe this truth and experience available to us, to be eternal.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 23, 2019, 1:41 AM

Re: [rdrcofe] Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary? In reply to
Hi Chris.

None of us should assume that Joe's life is boring and in fact you continue to make that point. "Walk a mile, etc."

My life may be assumed to be boring, yet as you wrote, the interactions (and sometimes probable inactions, too) I have with family and friends does indeed determine my satisfaction in my sense of purpose.

To seek to live in harmony with one's fellow humans is the path to happiness and satisfaction. God need not be any part of that path, but nearly any deity can be. Unfortunately, God and other deities can also be part of, not only self destruction, but the destruction of ones community, family and country.

Better to make that which is greater than the individual be humanity itself and seek to advance good over evil. And...that starts with the individual growing to ones responsibility to a family, a mate, children, a home, a community, etc.

You are correct that believers believe in an eternal life, which means that nonbelievers have only one life to get it right, so they have to work harder to do good and to overcome evil in all the spheres in which they, the individual, interact during only one life time. We seek no reward after our one life is over, nor do we act in fear of punishment after death. We do good for the sake of doing good.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

Last edited by:

jeanne53: Jan 24, 2019, 11:24 AM

Re: [jeanne53] Is purpose/meaning in your life necessary? In reply to
Jeanne: Hi.

We do good for the sake of doing good.

Exactly the reason Jesus did the same thing.

God is not sitting in eternity wanting all his children to bow down and worship Him telling him all the time how wonderful He is.

God just wants us to get on with the business of loving our neighbours as we would prefer to be treated ourselves, cutting other the slack they often need and helping the stupid to see sense.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

praizeop2: Jan 24, 2019, 6:45 PM