The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Home » Forum » News » Election

Is it Tough for a Christian to be a Liberal/Democrat?

Quote Reply
Is it Tough for a Christian to be a Liberal/Democrat?
Because the Democrat's Political Platform clearly states that they support such things as abortion(murder of the unborn) and marriages other than between one man and one woman, is it tough for a Christian to be a Democrat? I believe so because God clearly states in Jeremiah and elsewhere that life begins in the womb not after birth and that homosexuality/lesbianism are sin and not to be winked at. I am not advocating hating anyone but doing the best we can to speak the truth in love to those who are liberals and usually Democrats as a result. Also, I am advocating supporting politicians who do not vote for judges who support abortion like the Democrats almost always do. Lastly, I am not saying I like the sinful things Trump or any other politician has done in their past, but I will support Republicans because of the reasons I have given above, particularly to protect the unborn.
Craig Dressler
http://christianbook2.webs.com
Quote Reply
Re: [craigdressler] Is it Tough for a Christian to be a Liberal/Democrat? In reply to
craigdressler: Hi

Because the Democrat's Political Platform clearly states that they support such things as abortion(murder of the unborn) and marriages other than between one man and one woman, is it tough for a Christian to be a Democrat?

There is a difference between supporting abortion, and placing the responsibility for such choices on the people most affected. i.e. (Mother, unborn child, medical interventionist etc.) Morality cannot be imposed upon society by law without negating the personal responsibility of those subject to that law. Imposing LAWS on people does not make them into responsible people.

Revelation says: He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. Rev. 22:11.

You are suggesting that they should not be let to do anything of the sort, but rather that they should be MADE to be righteous and MADE to be Holy, and compelled by LAW not to be unjust or filthy.

How can it be said that anyone is 'righteous' if they are compelled to be by law? Surely to be truly righteous there must be the freedom to be unrighteous, but a refusal by the righteous to use that freedom to be unjust, filthy, etc.

I think it is a perversion of Christianity to seek to control the people by imposition of LAW. Christ taught otherwise, that mere law abiding through fear of retribution is not loving God. Loving God is freely serving Him in obedience even if there IS NO LAW. It is summed up as "loving one's neighbour, 'or unborn child', as oneself."

Jesus had nothing whatever to say about gay 'relationships' or gay 'marriage'. (Although marriage was universally assumed by all, including Jesus, as referring the joining of a man and woman in wedlock, not two men or two women together), Jesus gave no indication whatever that LEGISLATION needed to be passed to ensure that only a male / female relationship was to be permitted BY LAW. Jesus did not impose LAW in that way to regulate human behaviour. Jesus gave The Holy Spirit to help us regulate our individual behaviour and willingly align it with God's will without duress.

So again, those who seek to impose BY LAW restrictions on the entire population on matters of who falls in love with whom, and what gender they should be according to the state, do not have any understanding whatever regarding how the kingdom of God is established in the hearts of the people.

The kingdom of God is not imposed by LAW. Christian 'believers' who are politically motivated to use the force of LAW are using methods of 'The World' to establish the Kingdom of God. That is a big mistake. Those who impose 'laws' shall be judged by 'The Law'. Those who legislate for 'freedom of choice and individual responsibility under God's law' understand grace. Such laws as there may be concerning pregnancy termination and same sex marriage, should be aimed at limiting the harm done, according to the circumstances and actual situation of the individuals concerned, (including the yet unborn), while as far as possible making the citizens involved fully responsible for their own choices, not just making them obedient puppets of The State in the 'Kingdom of The World'. Those 'kingdoms' were the ones that Jesus Christ refused to rule by.:

Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Matt. 4:8-10

It could be argued that Trump's Republican, (supposedly Christian), supporters have fallen for the tempting offer that Jesus flatly turned down. So it may become increasingly more difficult to them to stay 'Christian' while assisting Trump's agenda by their eagerly loyal support.

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." Jn. 18:36.

Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit,
saith the Lord of hosts
. Zch. 4:6.

Regards Chris.
In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting the message of reconciliation to us. 2 Cor. 5:19. Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Jan 11, 2018, 9:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [craigdressler] Is it Tough for a Christian to be a Liberal/Democrat? In reply to
Hi Craig.

You have been a busy bee on Praize, I see.

You are assuming much about American citizens. Not all of us are Christians and we do not expect all of our elected officials or judges to be Christian. This is not a Christian nation and was never intended to be a Christian nation. That our Founders and Framers recognized the need for the citizenry to be moral, educated and involved speaks nothing to their deity belief or religion.

Despite being an atheist, I view abortion as the killing of the unborn, which is not an unusual stance for atheists anymore. I do not wish for abortion to be outlawed as a medical procedure, but I do want it restricted and I do not want it to be a substitute for birth control. I would have a problem voting for a person who wants unbridled abortion to be the law of the land whether they be Democrat or Republican, but that is not how our law will be change if we want it to change. I would have a much bigger problem voting for either party that supports an absolute ban on abortion.

Since mostly Christian women impregnated by Christian men have had and are having abortions in this country, it would be hypocritical of them to demand that other women can not have one. Or do you consider them not to be true-Christians? In that case, since I would never have an abortion and you know my views on it, do you consider me to be more moral than most Christians?

As for non-hetrosexual marriage, I am happy that any couple chooses to unite in a religious ceremony or a civil union, especially when children are involved. I don't care for the way the ultra-left has gone about the process of legalizing non-heterosexual religious ceremonies of marriage, because their stated goal is to dissolve all marriage requirements and government intervention into any sort of union. I think that is dangerously wrong-headed unless the real goal is to undermine the family, the community, the church and the rule of law....and I think that is what this has been.

What concerns me about my elected officials and my fellow citizens is that we live in a community and a nation that follows the Supreme Law of the Land, which is the Constitution. And...that we try to live ethical lives and seek harmony.

That should be enough for a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Mormon, a Hindu, a Pagan or an Atheist.

I do not want my elected officials to be "sinless" if that is even possible. I want them to admit their faults and try always to be better than they were and to deal honestly. Not an easy task in any political party or government or individual life.

There is a process for addressing change to our law at each level of government. I will not have my President or any elected official seek to preach morality to me, nor should anyone else suffer that.

Support whomever you find suits you. Not all Christians feel as you do. In fact, I would submit that on the marriage thing, most do not feel as you do anymore.

Abortion ...that has been changing fast towards fewer abortions and more restrictions on gestation time and abortion for gender, etc. and it will continue that run, I believe. On this issue, I believe the concept of the fetus as a living human in its early stages of life is becoming the more supported idea and you will find citizens of all beliefs and none, who will side with life. Which does not mean that the life and well-being of the mother is never to be considered, which is a civilized concept. Banning all abortions is a third-world country and uncivilized concept that belongs in the past of humanity, just as burning witches does.

How interesting it could be if you would consider taking part in a discussion, instead of just posting numerous opinions that you consider to be the only proper way to believe and think. We could use some interesting discussions on Praize.

Nice post, Chris.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."