The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Child marriage in the USA...

Quote Reply
Child marriage in the USA...
Let us start with a general site for information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

There is a link here to take you to the "causes of child marriage" and "consequences of child marriage" as well as other links of interest.

I would expect from just my experience that child marriages are down and while this is only anecdotal evidence, it seems obvious. When I was a child, girls or young women who got pregnant out of wedlock, got married before the baby was born. By the time I was 16, that wasn't happening anymore, girls just continued in school or young women on the job, had the baby and supported it through parental help and/or social welfare.

I remember being absolutely stunned by the revelation that some of my black classmates had more than one child. Maybe that statement could be considered to be racist, but before my school integrated, a girl would have had to drop out of school and most likely got married...even if the couple divorced soon after the baby was born.

As for cults who encourage child marriage...well, it isn't just the Mormons. There are girls who drop out of school as soon as possible because their parent's religion dictates that they do not need further education and they are married and pregnant soon after, according to God's plan for them as fertile young women.

As we examine the extreme of Islam...and even not so extreme...let those of us of Western Civilization examine our religions that encourage child marriage.

At one time marrying and procreating at a young age made practical sense, but that era is long over for first world nations. Shouldn't our nations' laws be reviewed to finally do away with archaic religious doctrines? Or are they sacred?

Then...shouldn't we be looking at the notion of allowing parents or the church to encourage children to marry without regard to any sacred doctrine, considering such actions to be child abuse?

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Child marriage in the USA... In reply to
JEANNE: AFTER READING YOUR POST I CAN NOT SAY THAT IT IS MORE NOR LESS THE AMERICAN
SITUATION THAT EXISTS HERE NOW. 90% OF THE RELATIONS THAT HAPPEN NOW IN THIS CATEGORY, OR OCCUR BECAUSE OF LUST, OR ESCAPE FROM A BAD HOME SCENE.
NOT ONE OF THESE COULD BE PROBABLY FOUND IN A BASIC GOOD HOME SITUATION

STABILITY AND SOUND CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS ARE REALLY THE ONLY WAY TO BEGIN A HOME

M7TH
Quote Reply
"Child marriage in the United States is defined by the US Department of State as "a formal marriage or informal union where one or both parties is under the age of 18."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

That eighteen years (probably more like eight years, from ten to 18) are a critical time in a little girl's life. They not only have bodily changes turning them into physical adults. But they also have emotional changes, as the mind changes that of a child into an adult. Each child's experience is different and depends a great deal on what they go through during that time. And the rest of their life depends on their experiences.

The little gal on Dr. Phil's program was amazingly mature. Of course we don't know what kind of counselling she had prior to the program. (I'm sure it was discussed, I just didn't see it.) The thing is, their life also depends on their personality traits. So it is really difficult to say how these children would mature.

All children are different. All go through individual experiences. How they grow up depends completely on an all-mighty God.
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] Child marriage in the USA... In reply to
Sarah: Hi

I can't tell from what you have written whether you are in favor of or against child marriage, (12 to 17 years).

Though God might have views on the wisdom of fathers marrying off their 12 year old daughters to old men, we don't actually know what those views might be, apart from following principles laid down in The Bible for protecting the vulnerable from exploitation by the powerful. General principles that can be derived from the teachings of Jesus Christ that is.

Though there were cases in scripture where brides were very young indeed, even betrothed, (promised in marriage), as small children, that does not excuse the practice or give it any legitimacy in modern life.

Regards Chris.
Love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Pet.4:8b.

Last edited by:

rdrcofe: Nov 11, 2017, 3:12 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [rdrcofe] Child marriage in the USA... In reply to
Hi Jim.

The problem with "forced child marriage" is that it most often occurs in faithful homes, wherein there is "sound Christian foundation." Or...in the case of Sharia, "sound Islamic foundation."

That girls and young woman are having children out of wedlock, many during their teen-aged years, is another matter altogether. I mentioned that only because I thought the seemingly "popular trend" of doing so has probably made child-marriages fewer over the past few decades. And...I doubt that there were/are many who do not also worship a Creator and who would no doubt take offense to your suggestion that they are not proper believers.

Should our country's law allow for this exception?

I have no real idea whether or not the faithful in the US are "selling" their daughters to older members of their faith. It certainly goes on with Sharia and is a real problem in the UK and other nations that have become ever more tolerant of the tenants of Islam.

It seems to me to be fairly simple; abide by the minimum age for marriage and allow no exceptions and then punish severely the parents who break the law.

But...since we can't even seem to get kids out of abusive families, I doubt that there is much chance of enforcing the marriage age laws.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] Child marriage in the USA... In reply to
Hi Sarah.

I started this topic on Chris's suggestion in his post to you about the Dateline TV show with a woman from the Jeffs family.

I don't know of the Dr. Phil show or of that young woman. Was she a child forced into marriage?

What do you think about our minimum-age marriage laws allowing for exceptions based upon parental religious beliefs?

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
Re: [rdrcofe] Child marriage in the USA... In reply to
Hi Chris.

I briefly had as a cardiologist, a young woman of Middle Eastern descent, who was very good, very smart and very modern. She had to return to her homeland after a couple of years because it was time for her to marry a man that her parent's had chosen.

The next doctor in that group, which I had, spoke of her with dismay.

Who knows how her life has turned out?

Ancient times of even a couple of hundred years ago, life was short, girls became women sooner. In fact, children became adults sooner.

Why are these families intent on rushing their children into adulthood in this day and age?

What is sort of funny though, is that many of these less-than-modern religious faiths condemn what they see as children growing up too soon in language, education, clothing, attitudes and action. They will forcibly keep themselves and their children apart from this modernity, yet they will allow a young girl to take on the most adult role there is, one of wife/homemaker/mother.

-Jeanne
Quote Reply
If there is anyone still interested in this topic, here is a site, wherein a woman raised in a very conservative Evangelical community has much to say about child marriage and how there is a fringe bit of America that defends it. Also she relates it to how some conservatives are reacting to the Roy Moore scandal we are enduring now.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2017/11/child-brides-teenage-sluts-and-roy-moore.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=Nonreligious&utm_content=44

On the Roy Moore debacle, I think it is worth noting something that Rush Limbaugh said last week, an approximation is this:

"The Democrats circle their wagons around their perverts, but the Republicans want them out."

In Hollywood, in the DNC, in the elite establishments, perversity is not only the norm, but is portrayed as what we should all not only tolerate, but celebrate.

What has happened to the Democrat party, and along the way, to American values or social mores, in regards to sexual conduct in high office since Bill Clinton's perverse behavior came to light, is that such behavior has become normalized.

Yes...previous presidents had their sexual faults, but it was not on the evening news being promoted as no big thing, not a trait that kept him from doing his duty as our leader, and not really sex.

Well...that phrase certainly got taken to heart by the middle schools in the country. Oral sex was not really sex at all. The President of the United States of America said so and the media and his party and the feminists and establishment and Hollywood all defended him, still do defend him and continue to honor him and the wife who destroyed those lying sluts.

And...then, one has to wonder why the Democrats, the Leftists, really have such a problem with Roy Moore or with child marriage, for that matter? Apparently it is okay for a fellow Lefty to dally, but not at all okay for anyone on the Right or in the Republican Party.

Hard to judge the actual demeanor of our country when it comes to adult-child relationships and sex.

At least we don't kill our child brides should they dishonor the family...

-Jeanne

p.s. Yes, I know it is not a religious site and the blog is not flattering to a certain segment of conservative Evangelical Christians, but I hope the readers are able to handle it. This entire subject is serious enough that more information and opinions are valuable to our understanding of the mess, rather than fewer.