The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Betsy DeVos...

Quote Reply
Betsy DeVos...
"Every child deserves a chance to have a good education."

This is what CRITICS are saying about our new Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos who champions charter schools, voucher programs and reform for the country's inner-city schools.

Oddly enough, this is what her supporters are saying, too.

As a parent who felt that my children failed to get a good education because of the Progressive Agenda to handicap our children by "dumbing-down" our schools, I think it is about time somebody shook things up.

In Maryland it became almost impossible to start a Charter School under Barack Obama and hard enough before that. It isn't just poor people who can't send their kids to private schools, it is the middle class and the working poor and others who just cannot set aside tens of thousands of dollars each year to school their kids from 6 years to 18 years and then help foot the bill for college. Although, most private schools give a break for second and third children from a family, it still adds up big time.

We pay taxes and in my county have what should be an excellent public school system, because we are one of the more wealthy counties in the state. So..in the 1980s through the early 2000s my kids had a mediocre education. They were held back by chronic discipline problems in their classrooms and an administration that began following orders from higher up to avoid providing consequences to those problems. Attendance was more important that proper behavior or good grades. After my kids graduated, it got worse and is currently a quagmire of teaching to the multiple tests (testing takes up to a fifth of the school year) lack of discipline, bending over backward to keep chronic behavior problems in the classroom and unprofessional behavior from some staff…plus the inability of the School Board to fire an ineffective and/or worthless teacher. My kids got a crap education because other kids were products of worthless parents. Not that they were poor or black or divorced, but worthless. Rare times these kids had a good role model outside the family and something saved them, but most of them had a jail cell scheduled for them by third grade. That and the idea that basic education was something of the past. They don't need to figure mathematics, they have calculators. They don't need to be able to write, they have computers. They don't need to be able to learn, they have smart phones. Read a ruler? What for? Sew a button? Just buy new clothes.

Every child deserves a chance to have a good education. You're darn right! All across the country children have lost that chance. Wasted time, wasted effort, wasted tax dollars and wasted desire to learn. All to placate the whiners, the lazy, the entitled, the worthless. Skin color means nothing. But…oh it does to the state and federal government. Well…black parents demanded of the schools during my kids' time there, that they wanted discipline in the schools. Black parents stated that "a child is a child is a child." No black, no white…just children who should behave appropriately and have a job to do in school.

It availed nothing. Parents have always been told that they don't know enough about education to make choices for their kids; leave it to we professionals. How is that been working out for our children? You have seen them on the boob tube rioting and chanting and protesting because somebody told them to. They know little to nothing. Pish…learning is not necessary. What is important is how you feel about yourself, that you tried, that you demand to win, that you force others to share what they have so it is all fair.

Again Pish…work is not necessary. Everything should be free and provided by the government. Nobody should charge money for something. Honestly, I have had people my kids' age tell me this. !!??

Back to Betsy…

You go Girl! A whole lot of us are sick to death of having our kids dumbed-down and our taxes wasted on those who do not want to learn or work or take part in anything that smacks of American duty.

-Jeanne

p.s. Thanks for letting me rant a bit.
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Betsy DeVos... In reply to
Great post Jeanne!
When I was raising my children, I had multiple problems with teachers, and principals time and again. I was lied to by student counselors and challenged by them. On one occasion, I actually told a principal not to say anything about a problem with my daughter because the situation had been dealt with and resolved. The very next day, he stopped her in the hallway between classes and told her she should never have told me anything about the problem to begin with.
Needless to say, I was on the phone with him again. I let him know that if he spoke to her again about it, I would be in his office the next day, would pull him across his desk by his tie and beat the Hell out of him. He never bothered her after that.
Schools today are more interested in producing 'good citizens' who will obey the government without questioning it or thinking or themselves than they are in educating them and doing what they should do. My children are grown now but, I have grandchildren who deserve a good education and are in the system. I personally say d away with the government control of schools and return to local control by the parents. as you said, "Every child deserves a chance to have a good education."
Blessings to you,
Allen
Quote Reply
Re: [ASCombs2662] Betsy DeVos... In reply to
Hi Allen.

Just so you know, if you carried out your threat, that would be assault and battery, my friend. My son often gets riled up like that and says what he would do to those who rile him..for very good reasons…and I tell him that he would be arrested for assault and battery and likely go to jail after a trial. I do understand your sentiment, however. And have felt the same way myself.

Allen, my husband has driven a school bus on the same route for 29 years. He was hired because the route needed a firm hand and he soon set it ship-shape. It still produces problem students; no attempted stabbings anymore, but many behavioral problems and children from dysfunctional homes. His bus ride in the morning and afternoon is the ONLY time most of these kids get any sort of discipline and encouragement to alter their behavior. They do not get it at school or at home. Most of these kids come from homes that are "in the system." A few of them deal drugs, even at school, as evidenced by the rolls of bills they carry. If a coat or hat gets left on the bus, nobody ever claims it. All have smart phones, most up-to-date. They talk about going to the movies every weekend. They have plenty of spending money and loads of time to watch TV in their rooms or spend on their laptops. Most are overweight. New cars are at the homes. Their parents are divorced; maybe they live with their aunt or grandmother. They do not get enough sleep. They do not carry text books home. They do not provide their own pencils or paper for school. They get free breakfast and free lunch and many stay for after-school programs to be taken home by a school bus, as well.

Not all of his kids, but most. He has gotten many into ROTC and encouraged them to make use of the local community college, which offers excellent programs, such as, nursing, and with tuition paid for by the three counties that supported its beginning decades ago.

Most of these kids are not poor in their living conditions, although some have come from falling down homes they managed to rent. Some want to learn and get out, but most are content to learn to play the system and remain on the dole for the rest of their lives, just as their parents and grandparents and other family members have done. This is what we are putting into our future. The prison system examines third grades to gauge how many jail cells they will need to accommodate them when they come of age.

I will soon have grandchildren entering public schools…unless a charter starts up…and it makes me frustrated to know that, as with my kids, we will need to supplement their education. But…worse, I am sickened by the waste of time and effort they will put into an educational experience that will not be worthy of them. My kids just coasted through school. They challenged them selves on their own time.

I have an interesting article, which I will post in another topic. Rush and others have been stating this for a long time and a study done in 2013 shows the data to confirm what their advice to young people has always been.

-Jeanne
"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Quote Reply
Re: [jeanne53] Betsy DeVos... In reply to
Hello Jeanne.

I realized what the consequences would likely have been at the time I made that threat. It didn't matter to me and the principle would have been beaten. I know because I was trained to box by a professional boxer and wrestler (my grandfather). In any case, I didn't have to follow through. The threat was enough to cause him to back off.

I agree with your evaluation of the situation with children too. I was divorced when all that took place and raising 4 children alone. They picked up things from school and tried them at home. I was a strict disciplinary parent though so, I put a stop to it.

I also drove a school bus for a while. I saw the unruly kids turn into well behaved people on that route. I don't know what they did at home or at school but, they followed the rules on my bus.

Proverbs 23:13-14 says, "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."

Children need discipline and, in today's world it is almost unheard of but, I had different methods of disciplining my children. I made the punishment fit the crime. All of them got a spanking for repeated disobedience or the most serious offense. When my daughter threatened to call the police on me if I spanked her, I handed her a quarter and told her, "Let's go to the pay phone at the corner. You can call the police and when they get there I'll still be busting your butt." She was willing to take her punishment without calling the police though.

Later, however, the Department of Child Protection got involved and, I went to court with a lawyer and, We Had a Good Battle that lasted for two years. It ended when a house fire forced me to move into another county and I threatened to file a law suit against tem. They quickly decided I was doing the right thing and closed the case.

Here in Jacksonville, they have found guns, knives and other weapons in the schools recently. Gangs are not uncommon and two high schools were locked down about two weeks ago because of them battling each other during school hours. The world is getting worse each day. That was predicted to happen though.

Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 3:1-7, "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

We are rapidly moving to the place and time of the final judgment as Revelation describes it. The newspaper could print those verses as a description of what the world is like today and be right on target.

God bless you,
Allen
Quote Reply
Re: [ASCombs2662] Betsy DeVos... In reply to
Hi, Allen,
Thank you for quoting IITim. I often forget that the Bible has predicted this and that it is not a surprise to Father. I can get worked up when I see the things that are going on, but am able to calm myself with the knowledge that Abba knows. I am SO VERY grateful to Him for letting us know in advance that all this would happen and that we would still be okay going through it because of Him. All we have to do is keep our focus on Him!
Blessings ~ Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: [praizeop2] Betsy DeVos... In reply to
We can look for the coming of the Lord at any time. Let me quote from a friend I was in school with years ago; His name is Jimmy Young and he sends out a devotional from Prophetic Perspectives, This was todays article:

Zechariah 4:6

Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
For further study - Zechariah 4:1-14

This passage, in the fourth chapter of Zechariah's prophecy, is rich with truth pertaining to the days of Zechariah and to days in the future as well. Remember, Haggai and Zechariah were the two prophets the Lord raised up to encourage the 50,000 Jews who returned to Jerusalem from the Babylonian Captivity. These Jews, led by Joshua and Zerubbabel, on their trip back "home", were to rebuild the temple.
Nearly 20 years after the return of the Jews to Jerusalem, from Babylon, they had not finished the work of the Second Temple, the one replacing Solomon's Temple that was destroyed by the Babylonians.
By the way, this temple, the Second Temple, would be the one in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus, here on earth. During the days that Herod the Great reigned in Jerusalem, the people called it "Herod's Temple", only because Herod restored the Second Temple to its majesty.
Joshua and Zerubbabel were the two leaders that led the almost 50,000 Jews back to Jerusalem for the sole purpose of rebuilding the temple. The Jews were very negligent in following the Lord's direction on the "temple building project".
You might recall, I referred to Haggai as the prophet "in your face". Zechariah was the prophet who had the "gift of mercy". The Lord would use Zechariah to "love the people into rebuilding the temple".
Notice verse 6, our key verse, where Zechariah uses the truth about the "Spirit" of the Lord of Hosts as the power by which the temple would be built. We often need to be reminded that what we do, and accomplish for the Lord, is not done by our own power, but by His Spirit.
As Zerubbabel laid the foundations for the temple and continued to lead the project, they would finish the Lord's work as they had been directed. It was during this time that the prophet Zechariah got this prophecy of the "candlestick" and of the "two olive trees".
In Zechariah's day, the "two olive trees" were Joshua and Zerubbabel. The "candlestick" was the Temple, which housed the Menorah, the seven-branched candelabra.
The prophecy given to Zechariah would be fulfilled in his day. However, this same "prophecy", would have a future fulfillment that would come to pass during the seven-year Tribulation Period.
Revelation 11:3-12 reveals the "two witnesses" who minister from the Temple Mount in Jerusalem in the first three and a half years of the Tribulation.
Notice Revelation 11:4, "the two olive trees", these are the same as the "two olive trees" in Zechariah's prophecy. The two witnesses of Revelation 11 are Elijah and Enoch, the only two men who have never died. At the end of the three and a half years of ministry, they will be killed, as demanded in Hebrews 9:27. They will resurrect and enter into the heavens.
I believe, as the song says, "we are living in the days of Elijah". So much of Bible prophecy is coming together as foretold by the ancient Jewish prophets, including Zechariah. The Rapture could happen at any time - maybe today.

PRAYER THOUGHT: Thank You, Lord, for the potential of a soon coming Rapture of the Church. Help me to point the lost to You for salvation.

God bless you, Sarah. He can come anytime now. The stage is set for the rapture of the church and the final judgment of the world. I look forward to being with the Lord and seeing His final judgment of sin on Earth and a new creation. Each Day I grow to love Him more and wait to the day Paul spoke of in 1 Thessalonians 4:13–18 (AV 1873)

13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

God bless you always.

Allen