The all-in-one Christian Web Site Community - Praize.com
Skip to Content

Truth on giving

Quote Reply
Truth on giving
‎2 Cor 9:7 clearly says we are NOT to give under compulsion. Anything that someone tells us to do other than to believe before we can receive something from God needs to be IMMEDIATELY DISMISSED as a lie to extract hard earned cash from people.
The "sowing and reaping" mindset is akin to taking thought as to how your needs will be met and putting your faith in a "work" to accomplish it. By operating with this mindset you have declared that the Father's provision is not enough.

When do we get the truth about the widows mite? When will we understand that no one can out give God, and He dosn't need our means He wants our hearts period? !
There is a always room for gifts with love, other then that what becomes giving is more of a chore or neccessity. Jesus wants us to be able to sit in His presence and just sit there. hopefuly no one takes this as a challenge to debate. it isn't my favorate topic, because there is just so much humanistic thinking involved in this topic. Any ways God Bless you all.
AIN"T GOD GOOD?
Quote Reply
Re: [mog57] Truth on giving In reply to
I think I can comment without getting into a debate mode.

Let's examine the scripture reference. 2 Cor. 9:6-8 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. [7] Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
[8] And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

You are correct, back off donating to any minister putting you under pressure to give, to support, to build the building, to launch that satellite.

However, Christians are suffering right now thinking God has abandoned their financial needs, when in fact they are simply reaping according to what they sow, by far too little to support a great expectation of the harvest needed to meet needs, much less be a blessing to others outside immediate family. Not "sown" like done last year. A soybean farmer I know wil begin sowing seed maybe next week, hoping for a crop in the Fall. Whatever was sown last year has already been included in last year's harvest, whether a good one or poor one. He sows next week as he can get the ground ready, a bit concerned about the prices though. He can't possibly expect a good crop if he doesn't invest in the seed, fertilizer, etc., and doesn't sow in a manner that can support expectation of a bounty. It's just the way it is for sowing and reaping. Sow generously, then harvest more. Be skimpy about it, reap sparingly.

There is no reason to believe verse 8 will kick in if v. 6 and v. 7 are ignored.
Maybe that seems like compulsion, but it's the way God set this up. We can mix the three verses up, but all go together. God will put a target gift "in our heart", sometimes confirming a need to the very dollar or exact offer of service. Once that is put into us, we have a choice, give or do it cheerfully, or begrudge it, being stingy about it, maybe doing nothing at all because of greed or fear. If begrudging, then you are better off keeping the donation. If cheerful about it, God loves that specially, and sees to a bountiful harvest.

The deal is between the Christian and God, not Christian and minister. God has appointed ministers to receive the gifts, but God does the blessing part.

If I went to my favorite restaurant, enjoyed the meal, then only paid the waiter's tip, would I be doing right? If all they could expect from me is a small tip, might I remain so welcome as when paying all that is due? Instead, when we show up we get a great welcome and great service, over and beyond what they have to do, because I pay and tip cheerfully and generously.

Dear Christians, are we all doing our part as God provided to do? The tithe is His property, as learned from the Bible, not ours to decide how to spend. Can anyone expect God to bless when a person is considered a robber by God for not paying the tithe? Will God love a giver who resists letting his grip off that dollar bill, resenting being caught in a situation where giving is in fact expected? Will God bless our finances when we even resent a tiny tip on occasion? Will we abound to every good work when expecting someone else to pay the costs of those works?

The answer to all those is NO.

Looking for a YES? Then consider a few verses down in 2 Cor. 9:10-15 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
(God does that)
[11] Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
(the ultimate reason for giving bountifully with joy)
[12] For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
(how much want gets taken care of when our part is 0.5% of what God provided again last week?)
[13] Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection into the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
(liberal meaning generous)
[14] And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
(blessings and remembrances to cheerful generous givers keep coming our way like waves on the sea don't stop)
[15] Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

Ask God, how much, how often, where it should go, and how often. He will answer. May the bounty of God overtake cheerful givers here that give as God provided and expects.
·...¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>
Be fishers of men