Identity theft occurs when a criminal uses another person's personal information to take on that person's identity. Identity theft is much more than misuse of a Social Security number-it can also include credit card and mail fraud. If you think you may be a victim of identity theft, contact the authorities right away.
Social Security Administration (SSA) for:
- a replacement card if your Social Security card was lost or stolen,
- a new Social Security number in certain circumstances, and
- help to correct your earnings records.
Office of the Inspector General, SSA
to report Social Security number misuse that:
- involves buying or selling Social Security cards, or
- may involve people with links to terrorist groups or activities.