Car Service Tips to Keep Your Vehicle Environmentally in Tune
Routine car service is a win-win situation. Besides helping the environment and saving our natural resources, a properly maintained vehicle runs more efficiently, is safer, and lasts longer. This not only helps you save our natural resources, it saves you time and money spent on extensive car repair.
Be in tune with the environment by following these car service tips:
- Tune up yourengine. Fuel efficiency can be reduced by as much as 30% with a misfiring spark plug. Check your owner's manual and follow the recommended service schedule intervals for replacing filters and fluids.
- Check your tires. Under-inflation, wheels out of alignment, or tires out of balance wastes fuel--the engine has to work harder to push the vehicle. Properly maintained tires will last longer, meaning fewer scrap tires to be disposed of.
- Maintain your A/C. It should be serviced only by a certified technician experienced in handling and recycling refrigerants. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, almost one third of the gases released into the atmosphere come from vehicle air conditioners not working properly.
- Dispose of used motor oil, anti-freeze/coolant, tires, and old batteries properly. Many car repair facilities will collect and dispose of these items for you, or call your local government for recycling sites.
- Watch speed limits. Gas mileage decreases sharply above 55 mph. Use cruise-control on open highways to keep your speed as steady as possible. Avoid sudden accelerations and jerky stop-and-go's.
- Avoid excessive idling. Shut off the engine while waiting. Today's vehicles are designed to "warm up" fast, so those five-minute warm ups on cold winter mornings are not necessary.
- Lighten your load. Carry only what is necessary as less weight means better mileage. Store luggage in the trunk rather than on the roof to reduce drag.
- Eliminate unnecessary driving. Consolidate your daily errands, join a car pool, and try to travel when traffic is light to avoid stop-and-go conditions.
Remember, how your car runs, how you drive it, and how used fluids and parts are disposed of all affect our environment. Make your mark for the good!
Need a premium car repair? Contact the ASE Certified Technicians at Precision Automotive today by calling 406) 248-2838, or go on-line to www.pricesprecisionauto.com for more information about our car service. Our Tech-Net professional auto center in Billings, MT, also services vehicle owners in the areas of Shepherd and Laurel, MT.