Pre-Trip Automotive Service Tips: Keep Your Summer Fun on Schedule!
To make sure you don’t miss out on your summer road trip with an inconvenient automotive repair , schedule a “pre-trip” automotive service so that you can arrive safely at your summer destination.
Before heading out the door, consider these six automotive service tips:
* Tires – Most vehicles have a sticker located on the driver’s door or pillar which lists a tire pressure chart. Make certain all tires are inflated properly and that the tread depth is adequate. If tires are worn to a point where less than 2/32-inch of the tread remains, or if the cord or fabric is showing, it’s time to replace the tires. Don’t forget to check the spare!
* Lights & Horn - Inspect all exterior and interior lights and replace any burned out bulbs. If you are unable to replace them yourself, go to an automotive service center for help. Make sure the horn is working too.
* Windshield Wipers – Check the condition of the wiper blades and test the wiper operation. If the blades are streaking or squeaking, replace them to make sure you have clear visibility in the event of a summer rain storm.
* Parking Brake - Test the parking brake with the engine running, transmission in drive and your foot on the brake. With the parking brake engaged, slowly release the foot brake. If your vehicle moves forward, the brake is not working properly. You definitely need the help of an automotive repair shop.
* Vehicle Load - That same sticker on the door also lists the maximum vehicle capacity, which means the weight of the vehicle along with the combined weight of passengers and cargo. To save on fuel and tire wear, don’t exceed the recommended load capacity.
* Car Jack & Tools - Make sure you have the appropriate tools and car jack in the trunk (make sure they are in good working order) for changing flats, etc.
If you have found any deficient or broken items, be sure to schedule an automotive repair. It’s true that unexpected vehicle problems could still happen, but you will at least have done your part to be prepared.
Need quality automotive service? Contact our ASE Certified Technicians at Clausen Automotive by calling (608) 221-8321 or go on-line at http://clausenautomotive.com for more information about our automotive repair and service. Since 1975, our family-owned auto shop has proudly served vehicle owners in Madison, WI, and the surrounding communities.